GPS Tracking Accuracy Poor

Larry Gonzales

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been having GPS accuracy problems with my Verizon HTC Incredible 4G LTE for a month and a half. It does not accurately measure distances using tracking apps such as Runkeeper. I have used Runkeeper for over 2 years including 2 years with my original Incredible first generation and the measurement was ALWAYS accurate. I upgraded to the Incredible 4G the last week of February 2013. A month later, the GPS began inaccurate tracking (it was accurate for the first month). I tried other tracking programs such as MapMyRun and they were also inaccurate. Using Google Maps, the accuracy is reported within 3 meters usually. Verizon reluctantly agreed to send me a new (reconditioned) phone and which I have had for almost a month. Of the 20 runs I have done with it, only one tracked accurately. Not sure why as the settings were the same as the run before and the run after which were both inaccurate. I have tried 5 different run tracking apps including Garmin Fit which does not use Google Maps. All are inaccurate. Runkeeper is the closest to actual and it varies anywhere from 1/10 of a mile off on a 3 mile course to as much as 8/10 miles off on a 4 mile course.

A jpg of today?s run is attached as an illustration. The red track is my Garmin 205 Forerunner, the yellow track is Runkeeper on the Increbible 4G. Total distance was 3.07 miles, Runkeeper measured it at 3.29 miles. The variance does not look that significant in the pic, but .22 miles over a 3 mile course is very significant and, again, on my old Incredible, it never varied by more than .02 miles from my Garmin (which I would rather not use). It looks like the signal is drifting by 40? to 50? and then coming back. Using GPS Status, the number of locked satellites and accuracy does not vary much at all, not more than 13 ft.
I have searched the web high and low and tried every suggestion I can find including using the GPS Status app to reset the AGPS cache, clearing app caches, phone caches, wifi on, wifi off, GPS only location setting, no antivirus, no battery saver, screen on all the time, just everything I have seen recommended. I have talked to Verizon and HTC. Nobody can solve the problem and I don?t see anybody else posting problems with the Incredible 4G LTE GPS accuracy. I am convinced there is some kind of interference between the actual GPS and the communication with GPS tracking apps. I am not even 3 months into this contract and I hate this phone. Can anybody help?

Attachments

• GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 7

fabrialb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced same problem moving from an old Samsung with Android 2.3 to newest S3mini with Android 4.2. The lack of accurancy i'm experincing is even worst ( 10%!) and i'm still looking for a good advise to help me solve it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2