Rooting the incredible

Ellerbestyle

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I know the phone hasn't been released so no rooting yet. I am curious to know how the rooting process will work. After it can be rooted can we put cyanogen roms on it or will they have to be made to work with the incredible? This will be my first android device that I think I will not take back. I say this because I took back the droid and stayed with my iphone until a phone like the incredible came out. So I have jail broken my iphone but never rooted a android phone, so not sure how it works.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
afaik for the droid you have to root 2.0.x and then upgrade, i didn't think anyone had found a way to root the official 2.1 r1 update yet...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i guess they figured it out. my friend was visiting the other day and asked me to root his droid for him and when i looked the sites i found had said you needed to downgrade first, and he was too lazy to have me do it (weird right?)

i'll send him that link though, thanks.

and yes. the inc has a different version of 2.1 compared to the droid and n1, htc adds some trickery when they put sense into it. look how long it took to root the eris...

i brought up the nexus on to point out that 2.1 had indeed been rooted already :)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Dam..... I was hoping the Inc would be rooted rather quickly. I use MotoDroid/Barnacle with my Wifi iPad. Its a pleasure with Big Red's Network... and the price is right (know what I mean Vern???)

I have heard the Eris was rooted rather late because nobody gave a dam... true?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
most likely that had something to do with it. but from the people who were looking, htc closed the hole that was in the sprint hero, and i guess that had locked the phone down pretty tight after that.

the projected popularity of the incredible should allow for a faster root though.

i wonder if the desire has been rooted yet, that's out already right?

joeturni#CB

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Rooting

I am a newbie to Android technology....Can someone please be patient enought to explain to me what is "rooting."
Thanks guys....

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
here: (via cyanogenMod)

Root
In addition to locking the phone, carriers may impose software limitations to prevent using the handset in a manner that might undercut their voice plans - Skype, Google Voice, etc - or putting strain on the data network - tethering, streaming video, etc - The way around this is to acquire 'root' (administrator) access on your phone so you can install/modify/fix/break anything you want.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The thing is Verizon may ask then to close that loop in security or make it almost impossible to root they did with the Droid and 2.1 the only reason we have root on 2.1. Is because we have the sbf. I'm going to wait it out and see if its locked down if it is ill stick with the Droid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670