Droid contract periods

cmiddleton

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Since most of us stoked about this Incredible are early adopters of technology, I wanted to pass along a thought.

If you don't want to be bound to an entire 24 month contract period, you can get down to 12 months by only paying 70 more dollars for the phone.

This time next year VZW might have a sweet 4G phone that you have your eye on! Wouldn't it be nice to be out of contract?

alear

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely and that was my thought when I selected the 1 year contract. Even though this one should blow me away with features compared to my current phone, I think there will be a more desirable phone by next year (even the Evo 4G should be more desirable and its on sprint in a few months).

I calculated that $70 over 12 months is an extra $5.83/month. That's if I actually change phones in 1 year. If I end up keeping it for 2 years then that works out to only an extra $2.91/month. So yes, its $2.91/month more than the 2 year contract but I have the option after 1 year and that's worth about $2.91/month to me.

Alex

Last edited:

wild style

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, don't forget to factor in the resale value of the phone in a year. Assuming you keep it in good condition, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it to somebody that is already in a contract for something like $150-200.

That being said, I've already decided on a 1 year contract. ;)

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How did you get a 1 yr contract? My only option was a 2yr contract. Couldn't even get it for full retail on the website.

mb79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I was given all three options on my wife's line. Hers is a secondary line and due an upgrade. I was only charged $229 for a one-year contract extension.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My boyfriend's phone is the secondary line - and he's extremely happy with just a phone. We upgraded his phone to a new flip in November, but they're still showing that he's due an upgrade - since June of 2009. I told them about it on the phone, but they're just leaving it as is.

Not gonna complain, because he'll be happy with his phone for a few more years, and I can use his upgrade next year when something cooler comes along!

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea you could buy a phone at different contract ranges. I didn't even see that option online while pre-ordering.

Is there any way to change that once your phone has been ordered or is it set in stone?

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Or if your calling plan is above $49.99 a month, you can upgrade your phone using VZW's Annual Upgrade service.

No need to pay the extra $70.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Or if your calling plan is above $49.99 a month, you can upgrade your phone using VZW's Annual Upgrade service.

No need to pay the extra $70.
Looking for clarification here...
Verizon's Website said:
What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade?
You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It?s as easy as that.

Is this replacing New Every Two?
No, Verizon Wireless is providing an additional program to upgrade your phone. By taking advantage of the Annual Upgrade, however, your New Every Two calendar will restart.

So let's say I sign a 2 year contract with VZW today. That contract would expire on 4/21/2012.

If I use the Annual Upgrade, I could upgrade on 4/22/2011, get the promotional price, and extend my contract for an additional 2 years.

Does this mean my contract now ends on 4/21/2013, or is it adding the 2 years on top of the 1 year left on my current contract?

Also, it says the new every two calendar will restart. So you don't get to use the NE2 until after the now-extended contract runs out?

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Looking for clarification here...

So let's say I sign a 2 year contract with VZW today. That contract would expire on 4/21/2012.

If I use the Annual Upgrade, I could upgrade on 4/22/2011, get the promotional price, and extend my contract for an additional 2 years.

Does this mean my contract now ends on 4/21/2013, or is it adding the 2 years on top of the 1 year left on my current contract?

Also, it says the new every two calendar will restart. So you don't get to use the NE2 until after the now-extended contract runs out?

Your new contract would end on 4/21/2013. And the CSR's told me that after 2010, the NE2 price is just $50, rather than the $100 it is now.

So, I figure with most online rebates usually being $100, I don't mind if I give up any NE2 discount.

wild style

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
You're pretty much signing your soul to Verizon if you do the Annual Upgrade each year. I'll go with the 1 year contract and keep my options open, thank you very much. :)

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You're pretty much signing your soul to Verizon if you do the Annual Upgrade each year. I'll go with the 1 year contract and keep my options open, thank you very much. :)

I have no desire to ever leave Verizon, they've been good to me over the past 14 years - so no worries there for me! :D

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Correct y spend 70$ more when I can upgrade very year. also u are correct the NE2 EVERY TWO is 50$ instead the 100$: I can get my incredible for 149$:

cmiddleton

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Those are all good options. Admittedly, everyone has different needs for their cell phone plans. Some don't mind the contract if they are happy with the provider, such as VZW's service and coverage.

Others may have a primary goal of not being tied to a contract. Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to leave a carrier if a handset I like is released on another carrier or for some other reason.

For instance, if VZW does not give us an update to 2.x on the Incredible by May 2011, then many will be upset at VZW for not keeping up and ready to latch onto a new device/carrier.

Or if VZW is slow in rolling out a 4G device, then some will maybe be interested in a move to Sprint for an Evo or whatever else is out next year.

I like freedom and options. I don't like being married to a carrier. But the point of the thread was: You only have to commit to 12 months if you are a new VZW customer who does not mind paying $70 for the option. $70 is substantially cheaper than an ETF, even if the ETF is prorated after a year.

I am glad others are finding lots of options and solutions that work for them and their situation. Exchange of information is a great thing.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
If you have a corporate account the difference between 1 and 2 yrs is only $30. To me that was a no brainer, I went 1 year!

cmiddleton

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Since I am a new customer, I was not able to apply my corporate discount yet. At least I was not online. I might pursue it later over the phone, but something tells me that it the amount of time spent on the phone wont be worth $30.

FIGGY1682#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
well just so you guys know you cant do the one pricing if your not due for a upgrade. im done with my two year in 6 months and to get the incredible i had to pay the 2 year price and be locked in or pay the full retail for the incredible. hope your due for a upgrade :)

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
If you have a corporate account the difference between 1 and 2 yrs is only $30. To me that was a no brainer, I went 1 year!

Exactly... That's what I'm going to do on Thurs morning when I walk into my local store :) 1-yr please! $229.99... perfect!