1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Converting DVDs for Incredible and TV Out

To help kill time until the launch of the incredible, I wanted to start converting my meager DVD collection into MP4s. Not sure what kind of settings to use so that the resulting video would be suitable for either viewing on the phone or showing on a TV via the TV Out option as soon as I can get a cable.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Handbrake makes some Great quality videO conversion. Its crOss platform so will work on whatever computer you Got.

I haven't tried a DVD, but my guess is that if its copy protected, you're probabLy not going to have much succEss. There are ways around this

handbrake works with some DVDs

if you already have the dvd's ripped, you can either use handbrake or personally i use formatfactory.

i'd use the iphone settings, and then just tweak the resolution to wvga
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Once I get the DVD loaded onto my hard drive, the plan was to use Handbrake. I like how I have control over the settings even though I have no clue what they do or mean. I will try to look at format factory this weekend.

Now what would be the difference between iPhone settings and WVGA? The most I know right now is that my screen resolution on the Incredible should be 800x480 (?). I assume it can downgrade the resolution as part of the TV Out functionality. However, most of my DVDs so far are being recognized as 720 pixels wide and I was under the impression that increasing the width to 800 pixels would only add to the size of the file.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

In further exploration with converting my DVDs to MP4s, I came across a program called MetaX which I believe allows me to input cover art and movie details into the video file itself.

With no phone yet, I have been testing my process out using my old PSP. But the handheld doesn't appear to be reading that portion of the header, and to show "cover art" I have to create a 160x120 JPEG. Does anyone know if the media player on the Incredible (or any Android device) is able to use this information, or am I just wasting my time?

Quote Originally Posted by John-Paul View Post
    Once I get the DVD loaded onto my hard drive, the plan was to use Handbrake. I like how I have control over the settings even though I have no clue what they do or mean. I will try to look at format factory this weekend.

Now what would be the difference between iPhone settings and WVGA? The most I know right now is that my screen resolution on the Incredible should be 800x480 (?). I assume it can downgrade the resolution as part of the TV Out functionality. However, most of my DVDs so far are being recognized as 720 pixels wide and I was under the impression that increasing the width to 800 pixels would only add to the size of the file.
    using the iphone (or similar) setting will get you the right codec and bitrate.

changing it to wvga will give you the right resolution.

you can downgrade the resolution (whvga or whatever it's called) just try to keep the aspect as close to 1.66 as possible to get the video to fit right in the screen. (the iphone has an aspect of 1.5)
    Thanked by:
    wryun