USB cable for connecting Incredible to computer

tpspeier

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If I understand correctly, microUSB is now an industry standard, so any microUSB cable will fit the port on the Incredible. With my past (dumb)phones, there were charging USB cables and non-charging (data-only) USB cables. Is this still the case with microUSB cables? Or can I purchase any USB to microUSB cable to achieve both data transfer and charging capabilities?

handbra#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, microUSB may be the standard, but it doesn't mean they all plug into each other. they are all the same size, but they always seem to be shaped slightly different.

johnny99

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I own a bunch of different microUSB cables and they all work fine with my Motorola Droid. Quality does vary a lot, though. The cheapest cables (less than a dollar shipped) are thin and flimsy. Better cables have more shielding and insulation and will probably give you a more reliable data connection as well as better durability.

Try monoprice.com for good cables at reasonable prices.

tpspeier

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I own a bunch of different microUSB cables and they all work fine with my Motorola Droid. Quality does vary a lot, though. The cheapest cables (less than a dollar shipped) are thin and flimsy. Better cables have more shielding and insulation and will probably give you a more reliable data connection as well as better durability.

Try monoprice.com for good cables at reasonable prices.

So all the microUSB cables allow data transfer and charge your Droid at the same time?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So all the microUSB cables allow data transfer and charge your Droid at the same time?
so do some dont i have found. and like stated the quality does different. I have always been a fan of the OEM or monoprice ones. The little wind up wheel types have failed me several times with my storm so i gave up on them.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, the wind up ones tend to suck (cheap wiring)

monoprice works great.

microusb is a standard shape, BUT HTC uses an oddly shaped port, MOST cables will fit into this, but sometimes it might not.

the ones from monoprice should work fine.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If I understand correctly, microUSB is now an industry standard, so any microUSB cable will fit the port on the Incredible. With my past (dumb)phones, there were charging USB cables and non-charging (data-only) USB cables. Is this still the case with microUSB cables? Or can I purchase any USB to microUSB cable to achieve both data transfer and charging capabilities?

I've been with HTC for years now, and they have a habit of doing some non standard things with the USB jack. The TP2, for example, required a uniquely shaped plug that only fit the that phone. So we'll have to see what they did with the Incredible.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
so your have seen the light ha welcome to android..:D
so do some dont i have found. and like stated the quality does different. I have always been a fan of the OEM or monoprice ones. The little wind up wheel types have failed me several times with my storm so i gave up on them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc