VZW-using another person's upgrade

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I am using my friend's upgrade. He has a dumbphone and doesn't care to upgrade (not techhy at all). Anyway, I am going to use his upgrade to get the Incredible from a Tour. We both have Verizon Wireless. I have his username and password to pre-order the Incredible, if I choose to do so.

Is it possible to get VZW to send it to my house instead of his? What if he adds my name and address to his account?

Also, he does not have a data plan. If I am to get it online, VZW requires me to have a data plan. Is there a way to select the Incredible without a data plan? ...or is it better for me just to go the the local Verizon store and purchase it there and have them automatically transfer the phone to my account via his upgrade?

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure you won't be able to do that. The data plan would be required for line you use the upgrade on for the length of the contract.

I think.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It would work this way:

You both need to go to a VZW store, since you're using his upgrade he has to be present to confirm his info. The process is tricky, some reps act like they can't do it for some reason. The truth is most feel it's a pain in the ass to go through the process. I got my Blackberry using my fiancee's upgrade on an aircard from her business account. It can be done, just a matter of if the rep wants to do it.

EDIT: If you call cs, ask them to remark your account if they mention that you can use an upgrade from another account. If it's in the account remarks, the rep has to honor that. ;)

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I am using my friend's upgrade. He has a dumbphone and doesn't care to upgrade (not techhy at all). Anyway, I am going to use his upgrade to get the Incredible from a Tour. We both have Verizon Wireless. I have his username and password to pre-order the Incredible, if I choose to do so.

Is it possible to get VZW to send it to my house instead of his? What if he adds my name and address to his account?

Also, he does not have a data plan. If I am to get it online, VZW requires me to have a data plan. Is there a way to select the Incredible without a data plan? ...or is it better for me just to go the the local Verizon store and purchase it there and have them automatically transfer the phone to my account via his upgrade?

I had a similiar problem except it was on the same plan within a family plan. I asked about if I select the data plan and everything online would it charge to the line that I order from? The VZW rep said no. However, when you go to activate the phone for YOUR line it WILL activate all the features you've selected online for the phone on YOUR line.

As far as ordering it with a different address/billing address and such don't worry about any of that it's only for buying accessories and phones which you can always change later when going through the purchase process.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
All you have to do is this. Do the order upgrade online, and you can have it shipped to a different address, just unchect the box for shipping sam as billing. When you get the phone, you will have to get with your friend. turn off his old phone, turn on the incredible, and dial *228 then choose option 1. Let it activate the phone. The phone will reboot, when it does turn the incredible off. Have ur friend turn his old phone back on. do a *228 from it, and choose option 3. He will have to put in his original phone number. It will activate his old phone back to his number. now u will power up ur incredible, *228 option 3. when it asks put in your phone number. U will have to agree to a data package. The phone will reboot....and all will be done! Your friend can login to his acct. online and remove the data package if he wants. I have done this proceedure a couple times before, and it works! Later!

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is this. Do the order upgrade online, and you can have it shipped to a different address, just unchect the box for shipping sam as billing. When you get the phone, you will have to get with your friend. turn off his old phone, turn on the incredible, and dial *228 then choose option 1. Let it activate the phone. The phone will reboot, when it does turn the incredible off. Have ur friend turn his old phone back on. do a *228 from it, and choose option 3. He will have to put in his original phone number. It will activate his old phone back to his number. now u will power up ur incredible, *228 option 3. when it asks put in your phone number. U will have to agree to a data package. The phone will reboot....and all will be done! Your friend can login to his acct. online and remove the data package if he wants. I have done this proceedure a couple times before, and it works! Later!

Sounds great, guys. Thanks for all the advice.

03cbr954rr- using your method, when I upgrade the incredible with their plan, they must get a data package. You're saying, have them buy a data package, have it sent to me, go through the activation steps, and then have them go online and cancel their data package... and this will automatically take their data package off their next bill without any charges?

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Sounds great, guys. Thanks for all the advice.

03cbr954rr- using your method, when I upgrade the incredible with their plan, they must get a data package. You're saying, have them buy a data package, have it sent to me, go through the activation steps, and then have them go online and cancel their data package... and this will automatically take their data package off their next bill without any charges?

When u first activate the incredible on his line, it will automatically add the data package, then after his phone is reactivated on his line, he can cancel it.

Guy Fox

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If he has a regular handset (not a smartphone) the data feature's different and will automatically come off with the removal of the Incredible's ESN. Incredibles use $29.99 Email & Web for Smartphones. Things like Voyagers and Razrs use either the $9.99 25MB or Unlimited MB $29.99. You'll want to make sure one of those doesn't get put on his line after the swap.

They won't let you order/activate an Incredible without choosing the data feature, but if it's on his line for only 1 day it wouldn't charge your friend the whole month's $29.99 for your data feature; should only be one day's worth ($1 or so).

Last edited:

nuke3ae

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just want to ask to be clear, because I want to do the same thing. The person that is giving away their upgrade won't have to pay two years of the $30 data plan once the incredible's esn is off the line and on the other persons right?

I want to use my secondary's upgrade (I'm primary) to get the incredible while I am still under contract as primary (I have the tour).

gotroot801

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I just want to ask to be clear, because I want to do the same thing. The person that is giving away their upgrade won't have to pay two years of the $30 data plan once the incredible's esn is off the line and on the other persons right?

I want to use my secondary's upgrade (I'm primary) to get the incredible while I am still under contract as primary (I have the tour).

I was able to do that last year to get the Blackberry Storm. My wife is very understanding (and happy with a phone that just makes phone calls and works when she needs it to...)

nuke3ae

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was able to do that last year to get the Blackberry Storm. My wife is very understanding (and happy with a phone that just makes phone calls and works when she needs it to...)

Mine has a work bb 8530 so her cell phone just sits in the desk turned off. She wants to keep the number because she has had it forever.

Thanks for the reply.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Just to be clear about it all, I am going to call VZW and tell them that my mother wants to give me the upgrade. heh... anyway, I'll report back of what they tell me.

Guy Fox

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Oh my gosh, no, that would be awful! The 1 or 2 year contract agreed to when upgrading is for the mobile number staying active with VZW, not obligating it to keep a particular data feature. Maybe some carriers do that, but not Verizon.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

Just talked VZW CS and he said the exact same thing you did. Great news.
Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo