Mac Program for Syncing Needs?

Ason12

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm completely new to Android so, I've done a bit of searching and I apologize if I've missed it, but I'm looking for the best Mac program to sync contacts, etc. I don't use GMail's contacts, and I have everything that I'd like to transfer in my Address Book. I would be open to using a different program for contacts, or even if you guys suggest using GMail for my contacts.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I would still use Gmail, even if you dont plan on using the Gmail account. After you create your gmail account, open OSX's Address Book and take a look at preferences for syncing with Gmail contacts.

Once set up you will have 2-way syncing with your phone's address book and Address Book using Gmail Contacts as a middle man for cloud syncing.

PS you can do the same thing with iCal and gCal too!

tourstagefan

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm completely new to Android so, I've done a bit of searching and I apologize if I've missed it, but I'm looking for the best Mac program to sync contacts, etc. I don't use GMail's contacts, and I have everything that I'd like to transfer in my Address Book. I would be open to using a different program for contacts, or even if you guys suggest using GMail for my contacts.

Any suggestions?

I too, have a MAC and found a fairly simple way to transfer the contacts from the MAC address book.

1.) Open the Address Book application
2.) Go to "File" then "Export" then "Address Book Archive"
3.) Save it to your Desktop
4.) Log-in to your Gmail account (or set one up if you do not have one)
5.) Click on "Contacts" on the left-hand side of the screen
6.) Click on "Import" in the top right-hand corner of the screen
7.) Click on "Choose File" then attach the Address Book Archive that you saved to your Desktop.
8.) Presto! All your contacts are now in Gmail so when you first sync your Incredible, the contacts will be downloaded automatically. I can't wait to do this to mine when it arrives tomorrow.

You can also do this for your iCal, I did.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I too, have a MAC and found a fairly simple way to transfer the contacts from the MAC address book.

1.) Open the Address Book application
2.) Go to "File" then "Export" then "Address Book Archive"
3.) Save it to your Desktop
4.) Log-in to your Gmail account (or set one up if you do not have one)
5.) Click on "Contacts" on the left-hand side of the screen
6.) Click on "Import" in the top right-hand corner of the screen
7.) Click on "Choose File" then attach the Address Book Archive that you saved to your Desktop.
8.) Presto! All your contacts are now in Gmail so when you first sync your Incredible, the contacts will be downloaded automatically. I can't wait to do this to mine when it arrives tomorrow.

You can also do this for your iCal, I did.

Your method works... however its good for only one sync. As I mentioned, you can setup iCal and Address Book to constantly sync with Google/Incredible. No need to export and upload.

Make a change on your phone's address book or calendar... moments later its on iCal or Address Book and visa-versa ... without having to export/import. You can be on the other side of the country and your desktop apps will be synced.... it doesn't matter where you are so long as you have a data connection on your phone and your computer is on and connected to the net.

kklein95#IM

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For calendar just export your mac calendar to the desktop then import to your google calendar. Then go into your ical and subscribe to your google calendar. That way your device and mac's calendar will be synced. As for contacts I am not sure looking for that answer myself.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
As for contacts I am not sure looking for that answer myself.

Address Book Preferences...

8vsmxh.jpg

iCal Preferences....

whazax.jpg

There is no need to do and export/import/subscribe of any kind.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you need more frequent calendar syncing, you can also look into Spanning Sync, which can handle calendar and gmail contact sync on a schedule you decide (immediately when updated on the Mac plus every 10 minutes, 15 minutes, etc.)

I believe that the built-in Snow Leopard syncs listed above only fire off every hour. But free of charge, of course.

Just for one more FYI.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
If you need more frequent calendar syncing, you can also look into Spanning Sync, which can handle calendar and gmail contact sync on a schedule you decide (immediately when updated on the Mac plus every 10 minutes, 15 minutes, etc.)

I believe that the built-in Snow Leopard syncs listed above only fire off every hour. But free of charge, of course.

Just for one more FYI.

Open this file: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.GoogleContactSyncAgent.plist
The last entry in the file is:
<key>StartInterval</key>
<integer>3600</integer>

Change the integer value to 300. Now Snow Leopard will sync every 5 min.

Validate with Console App. Files->Sync->syncservices.log

genedwes

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I was in the Verizon store today looking at the incredible. Told them I had a Mac and they said it won't sync with the incredible. I told them I was sure it would and they showed me in their web page that the Motorola Droid will but the incredible won't. You guys don't seem to have any trouble, wonder why Verizon says it won't.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site

Just for one more FYI.

+1 for Spanning Sync and Google Apps. Contacts, Calendar, Mail, and Tasks all sync OTA. Get a free copy of WaveSecure in the market and you can drop the Mobile Me subscription.

@genedwes - I think you can deduce why a Verizon store employee says it won't work with a Mac. Is it as easy as plugging into iTunes? no. Can it be done? yes.

A 3rd app to consider for synching if you don't want to use Gmail as the go between is Missing Sync for Android
Android Sync Software for Nexus One, Droid, Hero and Other Android Phones

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Spanning Sync and Google Apps. Contacts, Calendar, Mail, and Tasks all sync OTA. Get a free copy of WaveSecure in the market and you can drop the Mobile Me subscription.

@genedwes - I think you can deduce why a Verizon store employee says it won't work with a Mac. Is it as easy as plugging into iTunes? no. Can it be done? yes.

A 3rd app to consider for synching if you don't want to use Gmail as the go between is Missing Sync for Android
Android Sync Software for Nexus One, Droid, Hero and Other Android Phones

I used Missing Sync with my BB before they had a Desktop Manager and I was going to use it with the Inc. but read the Android overview first ! Calendar Sync , Tasks and Bookmarks Sync are listed as "Future Features"

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I was in the Verizon store today looking at the incredible. Told them I had a Mac and they said it won't sync with the incredible. I told them I was sure it would and they showed me in their web page that the Motorola Droid will but the incredible won't. You guys don't seem to have any trouble, wonder why Verizon says it won't.

Somebody made a mistake, or was unwilling to verify the feature with confidence. It happens.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Just for one more FYI.

I love that, did the same on my storm. macs are the best but google makes them even better with free communication.

DanRyb

May 3, 2010
Visit site
For an iTunes-like program to sync with your Mac for media (Movies, Music, Photos), try DoubleTwist - it's totally free and works like a charm! I use it to sync up certain iTunes Playlists!

EDIT: Someone beat me to it. lol but yeah, good program

JRUClutch

May 4, 2010
Visit site
What if I use Microsoft Entourage for my calendar and contacts instead of iCal and Address Book? Is there something different I need to do to get a sync to work? I've got a LOT of Mac experience, but I haven't been able to get things to sync.

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the features from Missing Sync (copy/pasted from website), it seems most can be done manually.

Calendar/Contacts as described in this thread.
Music/Documents - USB connection, drag and drop folders, right?
Text Messages - I know there are backup programs, but do they restore texts to your phone or just save the text content in a file? Which ones?
Podcasts/Playlists - Not sure? Haven't played with these
Call History - Probably some app for it? (don't really care)
Wireless and/or Auto Syncing - No, right?

My interest in syncing is mainly for backup purposes. If I have to reset my phone, can I get it back to how it was with barely skipping a beat (or two). Since I don't really mess around with the files and folders, I was thinking of just buying it...but maybe I can do without. Seems simple even for average user, no?

"Features"
Text Messages New!
Notes New!
Contacts
Music
Photos
Video and Home Movies
Wireless Sync New! (music, photos, contacts, notes, more - Wi-Fi or Bluetooth)
Ringtones New!
Docs and Files
Podcasts (transfer playlists of podcasts you subscribe to)
Call History
Proximity Sync™ (automatic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34