Trying to figure out voice/sms notifications

mitechie

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten google voice setup and it seems awesome, but my one problem is that I'm getting double notificaitons when I get an SMS to my voice account. I get both the voice app notification and the phone SMS app. I'm trying to figure out how to tell voice to 'not forward SMS to phone' but can't seem to find the right way to handle this.

Any hints on how to just make the phone all Voice all the time?

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess what you're getting is a duplicate email that the phone sms app intercepts, and the voice app is getting the sms pushed to it like it should, resulting in 2. The setting I would try is under Settings->Voicemail and SMS->SMS Forwarding (on the google voice website from your desktop computer). Try toggling that off and see if it works the way you want. :)

octomobiki

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I understand your problem.

Right now google voice is notifying you "you have an SMS" and the google messenger inbox is notifying you "you have a GV SMS"

My fix, while exclusively using GV - is to disable all notifications through the google messenger inbox. I only use notifications on GV.

This sucks though when people SMS my real phone number as I have no idea when that happens since no notification.

Make sense?

mitechie

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I think I understand your problem.

Right now google voice is notifying you "you have an SMS" and the google messenger inbox is notifying you "you have a GV SMS"

My fix, while exclusively using GV - is to disable all notifications through the google messenger inbox. I only use notifications on GV.

This sucks though when people SMS my real phone number as I have no idea when that happens since no notification.

Make sense?

I think this is exactly it and you're right...disabling it will suck for those that haven't migrated to my voice number yet. I guess I'll see how annoying it is first doing the dual messages. Time to beat people into my GV number.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
@mitechie:

I think I may be experiencing the same problem you were, and my OP didn't quite explain it. When someone texts my google voice number, I now get that text forwarded to my phone via an SMS and also through the GV app. Any ideas how to turn that off?

mitechie

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
@mitechie:

I think I may be experiencing the same problem you were, and my OP didn't quite explain it. When someone texts my google voice number, I now get that text forwarded to my phone via an SMS and also through the GV app. Any ideas how to turn that off?

No soultion. Until I can make sure everyone is on my gvoice number I just have to pul up with the duplication.

bydh

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
hey folks. If you're receiving duplicate messages sent to your GV number, just go to the GV site, Settings > Phones > Edit (for your cell phone), and then uncheck "receive SMS on this phone". This prevents google voice from forwarding an actual text to your cell phone number. Instead, you'll only receive it in the Google Voice app via your data connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn