Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    left my phone stock

Default Awesome Apps for experienced users

hello everyone!

im new here and have tried to go through a lot of the forums to see what apps people love, but most are new users learning... what im hoping to start is a forum for those with experience with the incredible and what you guys use to make it even better. i love customizing everything, keeping my phone super clean for optimal performance, and the one we all need - battery savers.

so ill start off first and please fill me in on anything im missing or if you have used these but find a different app is better or more useful.

im on a rooted dinc. some apps i use cost money but not if you download them off applanet or 4shared

what its for - app - why

texting- handcent - most customizable text app i have found, you can change LED color, more smileys, bubble text layout like IPhone, change font color/size/style and too much more to list.

privacy- pinnacle locker - you can password protect app icons and widgets so you dont have to worry about people looking through your phone. no need to move pics all around, just lock your gallery app, no need to delete texts, lock your message icon... ect... i really like this one

BATTERY!!-
    #1 - powermax - widget is one click, basicly puts phone in airplane mode but can still talk and text, also dims screen light and makes phone time out faster... no data use when on but you can turn it off, do what you need and turn it back on! with super heavy texting all day, and phone calls ill get about 25hrs out of my battery
    #2 - setCPU - can over clock my phone to run faster or under clock it to conserve battery

phone customization - folder organizer - by far my favorite app!!!! dont like the picture that came with the app? change it to anything you want! dont like the name of the app? change it! ( i didnt like my "gallery" so its now pitures & videos) make home screen folders and organize in any order you want.

tethering - easytether - im locked into unlimited data with Verizon, i can tether my phones internet for free! no add on to your bill

file manager - astro file manager - easily move pics and files from phone to sdcard with no computer hook up needed

i think/hope this is a good starting point... hope to hear what you guys and girls are using soon!

ROM
    TouchWiz/Android 4.4.4

Default Re: Awesome Apps for experienced users

First off, welcome to the Android Central community. You are among friends!

Now I haven't rooted my phone, but here are some of the apps I use that my help...

1) Elixir - It's a great app to help with information about your phone. Battery life/heath, 3g/4g switchs, phone brightness, how much memory you are using. And it has custom widgets for EVERYTHING! Plus, it's free!

2) Fancy Widgets Pro - Great if you like to customize your clock and weather app. It has tons of clock skins to download. It's $2.89 in the Market, but I got it free from the Amazon AppStore for free as it's Free App of the day.

That's just 2. There are many more. What else are you looking for?
    Don't Eat Yellow Snow!!!

Just got the Swype Beta. Interesting....more accurate than I thought, but still a few personal kinks...must be my long fingernails.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Best application in the history of everything: Tasker.

Install it, learn it, read their website, load some profiles, it will blow your mind.

It's the biggest reason I am on Android instead of iPhail.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    ROM
    Atom on Nexus

Messaging - GoSMS. So far, for me, the best layout and customizations especially using the private inbox. Has kept me out of a lot of trouble.

Keyboard - Swiftkey X. At first the word prediction slowed me down but only because I was keeping a close watch as to how quickly it would predict my next word and amazed by it.

Twitter - Tweetdeck. Integration with Facebook makes updating my status on both platforms easier. Lists and multiple accounts are easy to handle and manage.

Alarm Clock - I know there's a lot of them out there, but I AlarmDroid has been my favorite for a while

Camera - Vignette. I finally went out and got the paid version and it eliminated the need for all the other cameras out there, free or otherwise.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

For Battery I still love Battery Indicator mainly because it runs in the notification bar instead of a homescreen widget.
    Droid Incredible since June 2010
    Nexus 5 since March 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jowlah View Post
    First off, welcome to the Android Central community. You are among friends!

Now I haven't rooted my phone, but here are some of the apps I use that my help...

1) Elixir - It's a great app to help with information about your phone. Battery life/heath, 3g/4g switchs, phone brightness, how much memory you are using. And it has custom widgets for EVERYTHING! Plus, it's free!

2) Fancy Widgets Pro - Great if you like to customize your clock and weather app. It has tons of clock skins to download. It's $2.89 in the Market, but I got it free from the Amazon AppStore for free as it's Free App of the day.

That's just 2. There are many more. What else are you looking for?
    I LOVE Fancy Widgets Pro! The only problem I found, was that the Amazon app that we all got for free, is not ever updated. In the Android market, there is a major update, and graphics update. The new widget has a re-vamped look, plus better settings. I don't know why the Amazon app hasn't been kept up to date, but it makes me kinda mad. It was the free app of the day, but the dev should still keep it up to date. Check out the new version in the Android market!

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

Quote Originally Posted by Asterdroid View Post
    Best application in the history of everything: Tasker.

Install it, learn it, read their website, load some profiles, it will blow your mind.

It's the biggest reason I am on Android instead of iPhail.
    +1

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

First off - ROOT IS A MUST! ---any experienced DInc user knows to root or else you're getting 60%of what the phone is really about. - I am stock rooted because I've tried other ROMS but I didn't care much for them.

GoLauncher EX - Small, fast, smooth - very customizable. I set it to have a 5x5 screen, 5 docked icons at the bottom.

Of course Folder Organizer kicks the most ***

CalWidget - shows the most amount of info in smallest space IMO

Google Docs - Now that I'm in grad school, and I upload all slideshows and assignments to google docs this is priceless.

GoogleReader - best RSS reader IMO.

Here's a screenshot of my homescreen

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    left my phone stock

hey thanks for all the input!!!! now im gonna go check some of these out!

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

+1 on Battery Indicator and GoSMS Pro

Sports: Yahoo Sportacular. I like ESPN scorecenter too but this widget actually works

Launcher: LauncherPro. Highly customizable with tons of plugins. Runs smooth, no noticeable impact on battery

Photo editor: PicsIn. A lot of editing capability and some fun stuff too

Kid games: Funny Touch Screen. Keeps my 2yr old occupied & entertained. He actually learns patterns too which is nice

For experienced users:
    Root is an essential, as is Google Docs. I'm just getting into Tasker now and have only touched the tip of the iceberg with this powerhouse app.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakashthorn View Post
    I LOVE Fancy Widgets Pro! The only problem I found, was that the Amazon app that we all got for free, is not ever updated. In the Android market, there is a major update, and graphics update. The new widget has a re-vamped look, plus better settings. I don't know why the Amazon app hasn't been kept up to date, but it makes me kinda mad. It was the free app of the day, but the dev should still keep it up to date. Check out the new version in the Android market!
    Thanks for the info. Just upgraded mine from the android market, and was able to unlock it using my Amazon order number.
    It is definitely a major upgrade

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Gallery: QuickPic - the fastest picture gallery I've used on my phone.
    File manager: ES File Explorer - has a DropBox plugin that gives you more features than the official DropBox app.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    left my phone stock

i know there are lots of posts about tasker... i have looked all over for days... everyone talks about what you can do with it, and i get all that... but what i dont get it the programing of it... how the hell do you set profiles. im not a programmer and dont really understand all the codes. is there a wedsite or link that breaks down things step by step and word for word??