Messages and Contacts

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So I'm a little perplexed.

I click on Messages and then New message. I click in the To field and type John. A long list of Johns pops up in the list of possible people. The one I want (let's call him John Smith) is listed there four times, and I can't figure out why.

The screen looks like this:
John Smith - Other: jsmith@email.com
John Smith - Mobile: #########
John Smith - Mobile: ###.###.####
John Smith - Home: jsmith@email.com

These four John Smiths are all the exact same person. Essentially, my phone is offering me the quick option of sending an email or a text to him, even though the two emails are the same and the two phone numbers are the same. But, if I wanted to send an email, I would use the Gmail app, so I don't ever want to see emails listed here. And, why can it not realize that ########## is the same as ###.###.####? It's displaying them as two separate contact numbers.

Background info: My phone is synced with my Gmail account, which is how I populate my People list. It's also synced with Facebook, though I have deselected that from the "view" in People. His Google Contact and his Facebook account are "linked."

Any help getting rid of all the duplicates?

I'm also having an issue with sending messages to a group. I have a group created consisting of 9 people. Some of them have both an email and a mobile phone # stored in my contacts list. However, when I go to send a message to them, my phone apparently tries to send an email to some of them and an SMS to others. When I open Messages, I only want to send an SMS or MMS, never an email, and especially not half email and half text to a group. The only workaround I've found for this is to open People, move over to Groups, select their group, move over to Group Action, and select Send group message.

Any help forcing SMS only in a message to a group?

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
An update for clarification:

When I click "messages" the slider at the bottom is on "All messages" instead of "SMS/MMS." I would like for this to be on SMS/MMS by default, I suppose. Either way, it's extremely annoying. Has anyone else experienced this?

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
look at the contact card in the people app, is everything listed once and properly in there?
Yes, it is all listed properly. I even sent a vcard of his information to another email address of mine and it all came out properly - one name, one phone number, one email address.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I had this same issue. I had to remove my Facebook account entirely, then re-add it, making sure to uncheck the option to sync contacts. Of course, then you lose the benefit of being able to link a contact to Facebook. It's kind of screwy.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue. I had to remove my Facebook account entirely, then re-add it, making sure to uncheck the option to sync contacts. Of course, then you lose the benefit of being able to link a contact to Facebook. It's kind of screwy.
and also the ability to have their facebook pictures as contact photos, a huge plus for me.

Surely there is a better solution to this...?

TheReclinerJockey

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Did you log onto your gmail account online and make sure there isn't a duplicate there? I had that problem a lot when I first got my Hero. Had to redo almost all my contacts.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you log onto your gmail account online and make sure there isn't a duplicate there? I had that problem a lot when I first got my Hero. Had to redo almost all my contacts.
yeah, there are no duplicates in my Google contacts. I keep that list pretty well pruned.