Blackberry Storm chargers work with Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You are missing and leaving out another variable....the phone. I don't care what the specs say on the micro usb, how do you know that there's not something in the phone that's different? These new droids are ultra sophisticated and make the BBs look like toy phones.

I know there's something different either with the charger, phone, or both and now know better than to use my BB charger on my next droid and feel sorry for those who will suffer the same fate as I did.

I've seen fried droids and people, including a personal friend, reporting funky things with their Inc only after using the BB charger.

Do you really want to chance it to save $30 bucks or so? Not me. (at least not now) :p
see now you are making stuff up...you have seen fried droids...where? show me pictures.

And i think its kinda the other way around...the Inc is far more of a toy that the BB is.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh come on guys, toys??? They are all toys to people who "want" a smart phone opposed to people who "need" a smart phone. Give me a break.

Micro USB is a standard that every company uses. The only difference will be in wall chargers where cheaper quality parts are used for the invertors and even then it will be close.

Micro USB as I've already posted used voltages from 4.25 to 5 volts, and its them matter of "trickle" charge versus full charge. As far as 700maH to 1000maH the only difference will be how long it takes to charge. Voltage is what kills parts not amperage, especially when you are talking milliamps versus amps.....come on. And like I post before the computer straight line charge actually uses .5 amps, or 500maH and the wallcharger actually pushes 1 amp or 1000maH. This is USB standard carried across to USB, Mini-USB and Micro-USB.....

So basically anything less than 5 volts 500maH to 1000maH will not ruin your battery, and you will only find this outside of the USB standard, they are called standards for a reason. And no generic no name, non-stamped "Micro-USB" shouldn't be used because they may not be engineered to the "standard". Get with it guys this isn't the mid to late 90's, early 2000's when everyone engineered their own thing.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
YEPPERS!

I have a few mini to micro adapters (thank you motorola) and I am all set!

Has anyone else used mini-to-micro adapters to charge their DI? Any issues? I already have mini USB chargers (wall and car) from my BB Curve. If I can just buy a couple of adapters rather than new chargers that would be great.

droid_head

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I would think that the BB chargers are of a higher quality than the cheapo ones from e-bay. I am sure some phones have died but I seriously doubt that it was the charger, and if it was the charger was defective. 5 volts is 5 volts. the BB charger is less amps but so is the port on a computer.

I thought the same thing...now I've got a fried Inc and no date in sight for receiving my replacement.

rhippler

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else used mini-to-micro adapters to charge their DI? Any issues? I already have mini USB chargers (wall and car) from my BB Curve. If I can just buy a couple of adapters rather than new chargers that would be great.

Not for my DI but I did it all the time for my BB storm w/no issues.

droid_head

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So is using a BB charger on my incredible bad or not? I'm seeing mixed opinions here.

Is it really worth risking it to save $30? Two people in this thread have already had their Incs ruined from BB chargers. I wouldn't think it would take any more convincing.

The angry opposition here is only trying to convince themselves through attacking others that their phone is ok, the whole time sweating every time their Inc misses a beat, wondering "Is my Inc. going to die? Was that crazy guy in the Android forum right?". ;)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it really worth risking it to save $30? Two people in this thread have already had their Incs ruined from BB chargers. I wouldn't think it would take any more convincing.

The angry opposition here is only trying to convince themselves through attacking others that their phone is ok, the whole time sweating every time their Inc misses a beat, wondering "Is my Inc. going to die? Was that crazy guy in the Android forum right?". ;)

Where have you seen "angry opposition"? People are merely stating facts. If you take the VERY small sampling of people here that have and are using the BB chargers with their phone with the two that have had something mess up while using them, it would be safe to say you can use them. I know I've been using mine on and off (car charger) since the day I got the Inc (4/30) and my phone hasn't blinked an eye at it. I think by now if something was going to happen to the phone because of it, it would have already happened.

Or course you are missing what others have posted as well, with their battery and or phone messing up with the stock charger. So i guess we shouldn't use it either since a few people have had issues with them too.....

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

i sleep worry free every night, phone next to me plugged into a BB charger

droid_head

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There may be some mixed "opinions" but the facts are all on the side of it being "ok".

More like "reality" and "voluntary delusion". Some don't want to admit that BB charges can fry your phone.

I literally can't wait until your phone die one day and you're like, "WTF?". I would actually pay to see the looks on your faces.

If you guys really believed the BB chargers were ok to use, you would have ignored my posts long ago. If you'd just admit that your worried about whether or not your phone is already on the outs you'd feel much better.

This whole denial thing will really wear you down.

Last edited:

srvac

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I remember a similar situation where on my BB Curve then Tour then Storm it said you "have" to use a BB charger, not a standard micro or mini USB. I did without any problems. In fact, I primarily use the iGo system in both my car and home. So I can't imagine that it would be different enough to make any difference.

droid_head

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I remember a similar situation where on my BB Curve then Tour then Storm it said you "have" to use a BB charger, not a standard micro or mini USB. I did without any problems. In fact, I primarily use the iGo system in both my car and home. So I can't imagine that it would be different enough to make any difference.

I know those who say its a marketing ploy, but they tell you that for a reason. Things may be fine for a while, but it can take time for internal components to be damaged and then one day.....BAM! You're phones dead!

stratman103

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't plug your 110 volt appliances into your neighbor's 110 volt system. It's different than yours.

Don't use Duracell AA batteries. The 1.5 volts on those is different than everyone else's 1.5 volts.

Don't use your BlackBerry USB charger on your HTC phone's USB port. BlackBerry's USB port is different than HTC's USB port.

All three of these statements make the same amount of sense.

yomonk1

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to add personal experience here. I have had my DI since day one of pre order delivery and I have used three different MicroUSB chargers, the stock HTC from the box, my old BB Storm charger and a cheap $9 discount store charger. No problems at all in all that time, what? about month and a half now, and very similar charge profiles from each..
I really have to wonder if the problems you are reporting may be inconsistencies in the phone itself instead of the charger. Not to mention the battery is simply a POS

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
There are bad phones. There are bad chargers. But in a nut shell, any micro-usb charger will work to charge any micro-usb device, as long as it puts out enough current. I have been charging my incredible for over a month from my storm charger, computer usb port, and of course the OEM charger. No issues. But fear mongers will say, that because it hurt mine, all must be bad. Simply not true.

And no, I am not in denial, I just can't stay quiet when mis-info is being spread.

Tired of the Bull

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Stop the Bull Sh..

I sincerely wish people (trolls) wouldn't post opinions in threads that need facts. People come to these sites for help and have to wade through topics like this one. I guess there is the possibility that they are just trying to see how long they can string everyone along on this ridiculous topic and not truly believe what they are posting. But either way, it makes it hard for users who simply want facts.

Final Word...As long as the charger is working properly and maintaining a regulated 5v dc within standards the charger will work on any device with the correct connector. If the amperage is above that of the suggested charger it will charge the battery faster than the suggested charger which will create more heat and marginally shorten the life of the battery. If the amperage is lower than the suggested charger then it is possible it will not charge the device at all but will definitely charge slower which is normally better for overall battery life.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope they are just trolls having fun; I would hate to think anyone could be that ignorant and that stubborn at the same time.

Science is not subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze