Google navigator app - my opinion

danswartz

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
It's basically okay, but I am not that happy compared to my dashmount Garmin. Here are the negatives:

1. No way (as far as I can tell, be glad to be proven wrong) to do one of my favorite Garmin things - press the icon of the car on the map and save the current location as a new favorite.

2. You can go to Car Panel => To => Contacts and pick someone. I'd like to be able to go the other way. e.g. click on my fiancee's house, and select "Navigate There" or some-such (okay, this is minor.)

3. If you are in an area with marginal cell reception and you deviate from the planned route, it can't reroute you, since it has no access to the google cloud (which rehashes the issue I can confirm: to wit: the radio is much more finicky than my old blackberry curve. I live in the Boston Metrowest area, and Verizon has decent coverage around here, but my Incredible was losing signal fairly often, whereas my fiancee's ENV2 was fine.

4. The weird one: every once in awhile, I select a contact in the navigation app, and click on "Go", and instead of getting driving directions, it puts up a about 12 different restaurants or some-such in different locales, and asks me if any of those are where I want to go. WTF? Without having memorized this window of crap, I can't say 100% sure it is the same exact stuff, but it sure looks like it. I can only wonder if it is out of cell and can't get info, but if so, why not say so rather than pooping this garbage out?

The two competitors I was aware of, VZ Navigator and Garmin Mobile are not available (yet) for the Android platform, correct?

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue when I tried to get directions to my house. After I selected it, it would pop up with a screen that said something like Do you Mean one of these... .none of which had anything to do with my address.

I don't really plan on using it for navigation, just wanted to give it a try. I use a Garmin 855T which works for me.

danswartz

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I figured out the bogus suggestions. I live in Marlborough, MA, but people commonly abbreviate it as Marlboro. Google Maps does NOT like this, and has no idea how to cope with it. Check that out...

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah i'm pretty satisfied too. removes the need to carry a separate gps unit in the car. all i need now is a good universal car mounting option...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non