PLEASE HELP 2 drives when connected to computer!

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to get my puter to see the SD card on my Incredible, but now I get two drives whenever it is plugged in.

E: has .footprints and LOST.DIR
and
F: has LOST.DIR

Why do I get two drives listed? How do I get it as one? And if it is supposed to be there, which one do I drop files in?

Please help! Every post I've made has gone unanswered. I'm sorry if these are the stupidest questions you've ever heard, but once I get a little insight into how this thing works, I'll be able to get on board with it all.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
One of those is the phone's 6GB onboard memory, and the other is your SD Card. Use the storage capacity for each drive to determine which is which. I suggest then renaming your SD Card to "SD Card" or "memory card" or something so that you don't forget.

Last edited:

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Did you add the free 2gb SDCard?

If so, you have 2 drives. The one 6gb Internal One and the 2gb External one.

No. I didn't get one :(. But I had an 8gb that I used in my Blackberry, so I erased it and put it in my Incredible.

How do I do the renaming?

Thank you

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
you get 6.6 or so, just like any other computer drive you never get the exact number it advertises. You lose a % when you format the drive and such

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually it has to be more than that. You don't loose almost 2gb on an 8gb card when formatting it. Part of it is being used by something else that you can't control.

If you stick the free 2gb card that came with the phone, you end up with 1.89GB after it is formatted.

So while it may be an 8gb storage unit, it for most people is really a bit more than 6gb.

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My computer (MAC) only shows the SD Card. How to I get it to show the internal memory??

I don't know what was the independent variable in my situation, but the one time I plugged it in WITHOUT turning the phone on first, I showed only the SD card. So maybe try making sure the phone is on first and then plug it in. I haven't experimented to see if it was a fluke. I'm also on a PC, so I don't know if the situations would be the same.

davnel78

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems on my laptop that it's recognizing the phone as the F: drive and the sd card as the E: drive. Took advice in here and renamed them "droid" and "memory card".

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you right-click and check the properties, that will tell you how big the drive is and then you can figure out which drive letter is your phone and which is your SD card. Just going by the E: or F: is going to be relative to whatever computer you've got and how many drives you have attached to it.

beepointy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
mistyinca - I'm so glad you ask this question.

Thanks to everyone for the why and how to rename the two drives so I now know where I can move things to.

Thank you!