installing an apk file

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
While I can't take you step by step because I haven't even done it myself, I do know that you will definitely need to change a setting in the phone before you can do it.

Menu>Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources (check)

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Can someone give a brief description of what an 'apk' file is, what it does, and an example of one?? Just for us Android Noobies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
An APK is an Android Package file. Think of it as an EXE for Android.

You delete the APK file from the same place you put it. Usually the SD card.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Any application you download from the market will be in the form of an APK. There are some apps distributed on the internets that are also APK, but most of them you will get from the market.

Matt_AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The only downside I've found to installing an application via the APK file / SD card method is that it doesn't register in Market as an application of yours, so automated updates aren't pushed. You will need to manually check for application updates via the web and install an updated APK when there is, assuming you're like me and prefer keeping all of your applications up to date at all times.

Matt_AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How do I copy an apk file from my pc to my phone sd card?

Hook your Incredible up to your PC via USB. Select the "Disk drive" option on the phone. Go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications and check "Unknown sources."

On your PC, go into My Computer and open up the new drive that appears that's for your phone's SD card. Open it and drag your APK file onto it.

On your phone, use Astro File Manager (download it from Market if you don't have it) to browse to your SD card. Click on the APK file and go through the options to install it.

Once it's installed, you may delete the APK file from your SD card.

Note that automated updates will not be pushed to any applications that you install in this method as it circumvents Market.