1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When using Handcent????

How do you turn off the native sms popup? Thanks
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

messages>menu>settings>uncheck received notification.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks you

I did this but I notice that even though I do not receive the native pop up my in box is still full if I click onto the messages widget is there a way to turn off the native text totally?

No you just remove all original messaging widgets and shortcuts. It will still populate new texts, but as long as you turned off notifications it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    No you just remove all original messaging widgets and shortcuts. It will still populate new texts, but as long as you turned off notifications it should be fine.
    Won't all the messages stored under the stock message icon cause a lag in my phone eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by NIKSTORM View Post
    Won't all the messages stored under the stock message icon cause a lag in my phone eventually?
    That's an important question. When you delete from Handcent, does it delete from the phone?

Ok got it figured out when you delete from handcent it also deletes the native messages also

if i turn off notifactions on my messages will it also turn off notifactions from email???

Quote Originally Posted by rgray331975 View Post
    if i turn off notifactions on my messages will it also turn off notifactions from email???
    Nope
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)

I really wanted to like HandCent but it seemed to cause problems on my phone--so I uninstalled it.

What would happen is: I would receive an SMS message, HandCent would display a pop up (over the locked screen, btw), I would delete the message from that pop up; but later, when I unlocked my phone, the message would still be present in the notification area; then I would mistakenly try to open the message with the native messaging client but it would then freeze--presumably because it was trying to display a now deleted and non-existent message. I didn't see an obvious way to kill the messaging client task...and I wondered it if would cause my phone to become unstable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bump. So, I followed everyone's directions and turned off notifications, but I still get audio notifications for both apps. Additionally, I also still get the stock SMS pop up when I get new texts, and I don't get anything from Handcent. Is there any way for me to fix these issues?

I have the same issues. When I receive a text I get 2 notifications. One from the phone and the other from Handcent. I'd lke to not get the H notification and I turn it off, but I still get it. Two notifications are annoying.
    Pearl > Curve > Tour > Incredible > Thunderbolt > Rezound > One
    OMG OMG OMG

Just downloaded this...hoping it goes well. Looks pretty slick so far
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I'm running the 8/31 froyo leak. I put Handcent on when I was on 2.1 and have had no problems since. I go into the stock messages app > menu > settings > "Received notifications" [uncheck]. I don't get any notifications from the stock app. I also unchecked the "Sent notification" in this menu.

As for "duplicating" messages, I'm not an android developer, but I'm going to say I'm 99.9% sure the Android OS pulls in the messages once and whatever app you are using just displays them. The stock app and handcent don't each have a copy of the message. The OS has one copy and the apps can read these.

If don't want he Handcent notifications for some reason, open the app, menu > Settings > Notification settings > Notifications [uncheck]
    Last edited by BSG75; 08-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

so emails and texts always share the same notification sound?

Quote Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
    so emails and texts always share the same notification sound?
    You should be able to set them separately. The key is to go into the app that you want to set the sound for and then hit menu-->settings and look for notification.

I just checked on my Dinc and I can set the text notification to one sound and the gmail to another. Hope this helps.
    Droid Incredible

when i set the sound for this app....it changes for the email also

Like he said, go into both app's settings and set the notifications separately. Exit each app's settings page properly.

Don't use the phone's notifications setting. Works for me.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

I've been using handcent for a couple weeks now and I love it. You really have to take your time with the settings to get them right in order to avoid what your experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by rpfarrah View Post
    Like he said, go into both app's settings and set the notifications separately. Exit each app's settings page properly.

Don't use the phone's notifications setting. Works for me.
    and like i mentioned above...when i do this.....both get changed to which app setting i changed last.

so anyone have any Other advice on how to do this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

if I dl this app will it transfer my current texts from the HTC text app?

Default no popup?

I'm not a big text person ....however when I receive one it is important. i have turned off stock notification and turned on handset. when I first got the phone i would get 2 pop ups....now i get none . Is it possible I changed a default message setting on which app to use. The message shows up in handset but no sound or pop-up. The stock app notification sound works when enabled ....but I don't get the pop-up .
    I have also tried downloading sms pop-up...to work with stock but it didn't work either ..

Any help would be appreciated.