My Apps Keep Opening. Why?

andyandroid

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. So I've got my Incredible all set up with widgets and such and to conserve battery I got Advanced Task Killer. It's interesting because that shows that many of my apps turn themselves on automatically. Some are widgets and I get those being on but others are like City ID which I never open. Why do they keep coming on?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure ATK is going to help conserve the battery, its more for managing memory.... and thats up for debate if its really necessary or helpful.

hcole623

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish there was a final verdict on whether ATK was good or bad, I've installed it then uninstalled, then installed, then uninstalled. Cant make my mind up.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
don't worry about it.

task killers (or managers) aren't necessarily bad (for those who know what they're doing) but they are mostly not necessary.

unless you see something drastically eating up battery, memory, and cpu cycles, just let the OS do what it was designed to.

napanascarnut

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
@Adiliyo what the heck do you mean for those who know what they are doing? My battery goes dead some times in 3 hours without even touching my phone, All because the apps keep opening all by them selves. My opinion is the android OS is the absolute worse thing available and they don't care because they probably have a deal with the battery suppliers. Just the fact there is no way to close most apps proves my point. With windows you click the X and your browser closes but android has no way to close apps without going into the manage apps in settings, Yet the apps still re-open on their own without touching the phone. Its a major flaw min the OS and it needs to be addressed.

napanascarnut

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I see all these responces about this and they claim its not draining the battery yet they don't ever mention the fact they are using up all the internal memory and that is causing the phone to lock up and drain the battery. I'd love to hear a response to that.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
@Adiliyo what the heck do you mean for those who know what they are doing? My battery goes dead some times in 3 hours without even touching my phone, All because the apps keep opening all by them selves. My opinion is the android OS is the absolute worse thing available and they don't care because they probably have a deal with the battery suppliers. Just the fact there is no way to close most apps proves my point. With windows you click the X and your browser closes but android has no way to close apps without going into the manage apps in settings, Yet the apps still re-open on their own without touching the phone. Its a major flaw min the OS and it needs to be addressed.

I see all these responces about this and they claim its not draining the battery yet they don't ever mention the fact they are using up all the internal memory and that is causing the phone to lock up and drain the battery. I'd love to hear a response to that.

WOW. I don't recall the last time I saw someone trolling this hard for an argument. Especially from a thread that's over a year and half old!

If you don't like Android, don't care to understand how the OS works, or have an affinity for "closing" out apps perhaps you should go back to Windows.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Take task killer off. It's not needed once a phone gets past 2.0 (froyo). Atk will try to kill apps that Android tries to keep open. Android leaves commonly used apps in cache at very very low power level to open up quicker. Atk keeps trying to kill these apps, which will create a loop and consume battery very quick.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Save your breath (or keystrokes) ghess517, I'm pretty sure this guy has no real interest in being a constructive part of this forum.

steve127920

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Both of these guys were really helpful, as my point of view was the same as the guy who wants to close everything. I understand they open automatically and closing and re-opening will cause unnecessary load on the cpu, but I don't like the fact that I could look at my task list after an hour of non use and find 2 voicemails, 3 map/gps services, and other applications I never use. my displeasure is compounded when I can lose 30% battery in an hour of non-use.

nikolato

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
hey I find this subject VERY helpful. And I also have an issue with apps opening on their own, but mostly because phone starts to operate very slowly. For instance I try to type text msg but than it has a 1-2 sec lag before the letter appears.
Now Im far from an expert but I still do feel that this memory vs opening apps issue can be worked on.
Is there a way to manually restrict memory to be used by self opening apps and would this solve a problem?

dugateau

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I like Android. I just want it to be better.

So what is the best solution ?

Point1: ... I do want some apps to be in memory and managed by the OS. I am fine with that. These are applications I use often, or often enough.
Point2: ... I also want some applications to NOT have any CPU or memory until I open them. I think this might be more a case for a clear conscience than anything else. After a reboot I have Youtube running, why ?

As an example, I have Twitter, Zedge and Youtube apps installed yet I do not use them often. Why oh why do they take memory and generate network traffic from time to time for their status, alerts or notifications ? ... I know I agreed to the application's permissions when I installed them, but I did not accept those for 100% of the time. I expect a setting in the OS to allow an application to run, and then to optionally be KILLED 100% ... not half baked service running without me needing it. Most of the applications want to stay in memory forever just to keep tabs on the user and be ready at a moment's notice. These applications are not willing to die and go away so they will offer a notification service to stay on.
Some rationale would make sense claiming that it costs more to clear the memory and process table, but that is simple laziness on the developers side and poor OS.

I know I will not lose much memory or CPU time, but if I do have a problem with battery consumption how am I to find the faulty party ? ... I am loosing significant battery since there are tiny Wifi or data network traffic. I need my phone to stay on as long as possible and having applications lying around does not help me trusting the OS.

I am wondering if rooting my phone would allow me to change what is starting at boot time. But even then I do not think the OS will change so applications will stay in memory unless I kill them manually.
I am wondering if Blackberry or IOS are better at this.

dugateau

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@Hikmat abdoollayev ... I see the "Wakup Triggers", and it does match to my running apps. ... now how do we stop the apps from doing that ? ... I mean other than asking the developer or finding another app that behaves properly or has the proper options for not running on their own ?
The apps did ask permissions to do a bunch of stuff on my phone, and there is no specific permissions I can refuse if I want the app.
The only thing working would be a background task killer and we all agree that that is counter productive.