how to keep wifi off?

vitaminC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
On my phone, I have the widget that allows me to manually turn on/off the wifi, BT, GPS, etc.

I pretty much always leave the wifi off, yet I find that the phone is frequently turning it back on. My network at work is "open", yet one needs a login (via a webpage) that changes frequently so I would rather stick with 3G.

Any ideas why the phone keeps turning it back on, and how I can prevent it from doing so??

Thanks.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you're not accidentally hitting the WiFi button on the widget? I've never heard of WiFi turning itself on without user interaction of some sort. Also, I assume you're talking about the built in widget, not one you downloaded from the market?

vitaminC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you're not accidentally hitting the WiFi button on the widget? I've never heard of WiFi turning itself on without user interaction of some sort. Also, I assume you're talking about the built in widget, not one you downloaded from the market?

Yes and yes. It did just now, sitting on my desk while charging with the USB cable.

I am using the built-in "Power Control" widget.

I'm thinking that maybe it tests the wifi whenever the 3g signal gets week, though I would expect that unchecking the box in the settings panel would convince it stay off...

vitaminC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I found a partial solution. I went into the settings and told it to "forget" my work network. So now it still keeps turning the wifi on, though at least it is not connecting to anything. A partial victory.

Brian38501

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine turns on automatically as well at home. I tried for a few days to make it stop but then realized I actually like it. Once I leave the house 3g kicks back in. Sorry I don't have a solution but wanted to let you know you are not the only one it is happening to.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
that sounds like normal use when the wifi is on, since it remembers your networks, it's connecting, but once you leave the range of them, it gives up and reconnects to the data network.

it's not normal for the phone to do this if wifi is off. maybe check in the settings that wifi is unchecked as well as making sure it's not lit up on the widget.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder, does turning wifi "off" do anything to save battery life if your not in range of a known and synced hotspot? Would 3G use more battery?

Is the same really true for BT as well? I only have on thing that connects via BT, and its my car. So when I'm not connected and its on is it using more battery or just sitting there doing nothing?

Ahh the questions the questions lol. I assume the OP wants to keep it off to conserve battery, but if it doesn't use battery while idle and if 3G uses more battery, then it would only make sense to leave it on right?

anon(18516)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this sounds strange but for a while my wife's Moto Droid was doing the same thing whenever she opened her Gowalla app. We could never figure it out so she started using the mobile Gowalla site instead. It isn't doing it anymore on the app and we never changed any settings.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I wonder, does turning wifi "off" do anything to save battery life if your not in range of a known and synced hotspot? Would 3G use more battery?

Is the same really true for BT as well? I only have on thing that connects via BT, and its my car. So when I'm not connected and its on is it using more battery or just sitting there doing nothing?

Ahh the questions the questions lol. I assume the OP wants to keep it off to conserve battery, but if it doesn't use battery while idle and if 3G uses more battery, then it would only make sense to leave it on right?

while wifi uses less power than 3G, not being in range of a known network will make the phone search for networks while being connected to 3G, so you have both radio's running instead of just one.

same with bluetooth. and with this phone's abysmal battery, whatever you can do to conserve it, the better.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you having this problem have Power Manager installed? If so check that all the power profiles have the wireless:wifi option set to "do not change". I believe as default wifi is set to "enable" under the "a/c powered" profile, which means any time you plug it in, your wifi turns on. "battery powered" is set to "do not change" by default which means once you unplug the phone wifi will remain on. Changing everything to "do not change" will allow you to control when wifi is enabled and disabled.

vitaminC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
II assume the OP wants to keep it off to conserve battery, but if it doesn't use battery while idle and if 3G uses more battery, then it would only make sense to leave it on right?

Actually, I want it off because if it connects to the network, then it looks like I can get data but actually cannot unless I go to the browser and enter an id/password that is regularly reset. I.e., it's a real PITA.

And of course I'd like to save the juice, too.

These are all I have installed (plus the native stuff, of course), so if you see anything suspicious, let me know...

vitaminC's Apps on the ADR6300

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a power manager app installed? I have the Power Manager (free trial) V.1.6.3 and it has several different power profiles. When I plug it in, it got to A/C powered, brightens the screen and turns on Wifi. I have to make a mental note to turn it off using the power control widget. It also changes the screen timeout based on profile and that is annoying since it sets it to 1 minute every time you unplug it (battery profile). The free app doesn't allow you to edit profiles. The pay version allows you to edit the default profiles.....but I haven't tried it.

Sorry for the repeat answer....didn't see Is9999's response above....

Last edited:

vitaminC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Figured it out. The TuneSync app keeps turning on the wifi to try and sync up the music. Closed that app and now it is no longer turning the wifi on at random times :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692