Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Signal Strength Measured...Which represents the stronger signal...-90 or -80 ?

I'm sure I'm the only one that doesn't know this...but is the lower number, -90 stronger or weaker than the higher number, -80?

What kind of number could one get standing right next to the cell tower?

Thanks.

-80 is stronger than -90

dunno about the cell towers question

I drove to my local tower last week and got a -50. I expected a -20 or so.

lower the better

The best (lowest) I believe you can technically get is -50.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

I used to have -60 to -70 on my Berry and now I have no less then -95 in my home...

Quote Originally Posted by kdwg927 View Post
    The best (lowest) I believe you can technically get is -50.
    I think you're right. I can lean against the base of a tower and get no lower then -50.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I guess what got me is the term "lower."

I'm no math expert, but I do know that -90 is lower than -80. But I keep hearing that in terms of signal strength, the -80 is a lower measurement than the -90.

I now understand that the closer a measurement is to 0, the stronger the signal will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I guess what got me is the term "lower."
    Correct. The proper answer is that the higher the number, the better the signal. I guess you have to be a mathematician to understand that, though.

Wow, thanks, so -50 dbm is good...I was always confused about that. Thanks Android Central...I was about to thank CB.

I'm at -89 and shows two bars 3g, and everything seems to run perfectly fast.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I'm sure I'm the only one that doesn't know this...but is the lower number, -90 stronger or weaker than the higher number, -80?

What kind of number could one get standing right next to the cell tower?

Thanks.
    You will get a pretty much no signal standing next to a tower. I lived right underneath one (probably 200 feet away) for a few months and I never had service til I was about 1000 feet from the tower lol.