Facebook stock app vs Market App

MushroomStamp

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
So read thru the forums and there doesn't seem to be any answer to this. Currently I am not getting facebook notifications. However I am getting gmail notifications about the facebook notifications. So I am "SORT OF" getting notifications that someone posts something, however it's really just my gmail app.

I read that people are suggesting not using the stock FB app and use one from the Market Place.

My question is this. Currently contacts that have been merged with Facebook users are showing the Facebook pic in the contact. Will using the Market Place app break this abbility of linking in contacts??? It seems that linking an HTC thing because this does not happen on my Moto Droid.

I do not want to lose this functionality, however it really sucks I am not getting any FB notifications.

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It's been said that the Android FB app isn't so great with notifications. I miss the option that BB FB app had to not leave the e-mails on the mail server. So I would only get notifcations from FB and not FB plus my e-mail. But I hope it gets fixed in a future update. Android is growing so fast, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
So read thru the forums and there doesn't seem to be any answer to this. Currently I am not getting facebook notifications. However I am getting gmail notifications about the facebook notifications. So I am "SORT OF" getting notifications that someone posts something, however it's really just my gmail app.

I read that people are suggesting not using the stock FB app and use one from the Market Place.

The one pre-installed on the phone, is the same one that's in the Market. If you haven't already, you can download and install an update for this app from the market. Notifications are not pushed real-time. They are pushed on whatever interval you have configured in the Facebook app's settings. By default it's 1-hour. The minimum time you can configure is 30 minutes. Having said that, notifications have been chronically unreliable on Android, so there really isn't any workaround. Search the forums for the keywords Facebook Notifications and you will see lots of threads about this.

My question is this. Currently contacts that have been merged with Facebook users are showing the Facebook pic in the contact. Will using the Market Place app break this abbility of linking in contacts??? It seems that linking an HTC thing because this does not happen on my Moto Droid.

What you've described here is Facebook for HTC Sense:

View your Facebook updates in supported applications on the phone. By signing in to Facebook for HTC Sense, your Facebook contacts and their contact details are downloaded to People, you can browse through Facebook photo albums in Photos, and read Facebook status updates in Friend Stream.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't already, you can download and install an update for this app from the market.

I'm new to the Android platform... How can you tell if an app needs an update? When I go into the market, it says I can install the Facebook for Android and it's 1.2, it doesn't list as being installed already. When I go into my phone to the manage applications setting, it says the installed Facebook is version 112... Would this be actually 1.12?

MushroomStamp

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
No, it has nothing to do with "intervals".. I NEVER receive notifications thru the FB app.. EVER.. no matter what timing I set it to. Even if I do a manual refresh it doesn't trigger a notification. The App updates.. it just doesnt' tell me. yes notifications are turned on.

So I come back to my original question, will the MP app version break the linking that stock app does?

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I also don't get updates, so I feel your pain... The stock Facebook app is actually Facebook for HTC Sense. That provides the linking to the contacts. The other Facebook app on the phone is the one from the Android Market that was preinstalled for us, but it is also the program that's going to send us notifications (in theory)...

So if you removed the FB for Sense, you would lose the contact links, yes.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
All of the Facebook apps on Android are crap. Notifications are very flakey no matter what app you use. Facebebook has really dropped the ball, compared to the Facebook app on my iPhone I feel like I am in the stone age while using the Android Facebok app.

I use Welcome to Facebook | Facebook myself for browsing, and for any important notifications I have Facebook send me an sms alert.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to the Android platform... How can you tell if an app needs an update? When I go into the market, it says I can install the Facebook for Android and it's 1.2, it doesn't list as being installed already. When I go into my phone to the manage applications setting, it says the installed Facebook is version 112... Would this be actually 1.12?

Periodically there will be a notification in the notification panel to let you know if there are updates available. You can also open the market app, click menu, then downloads. It will list all apps that you have downloaded and installed. If there's an update available for an app, it will say so in orange. Having said that, since Facebook was pre-installed, it will not show up in this list. You will need to search for it and download it manually. Yes, I believe 112 you are referring to is 1.12 & the current version is 1.2

No, it has nothing to do with "intervals".. I NEVER receive notifications thru the FB app.. EVER.. no matter what timing I set it to. Even if I do a manual refresh it doesn't trigger a notification. The App updates.. it just doesnt' tell me. yes notifications are turned on.

So I come back to my original question, will the MP app version break the linking that stock app does?

That's weird, I just got one myself, so it does work sometimes. I didn't tell you the problem had to do with intervals. I told you about them and then I added that FB notifications are notoriously flakey on Android. Also, if you read the reviews on all the Facebook apps available in the market, you will see you're not alone.

The market app is already installed on the phone & no it doesn't break anything.

Last edited:

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cory... Once I clicked on the download from the market for Facebook, it noticed my already installed version and said it would replace it... We'll see if this helps the notification issue...

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Bah... If anyone updates Facebook like we've been talking about, make sure you don't have the Facebook widget loaded up... The widget showed an error in its place and removing / re-adding didn't help... Trying a phone reboot now...

Reboot fixed it...

anon(30569)

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Well I tried all that. Downloaded the update and now ky widget doesn't load. I tried a phone reboot (battery pull works right) and my widget still doesn't work although I can now add comments and Like things from my app. Any other ideas on how to get my widget working?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital