Proxy help

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Starting to get really annoyed at Google for this. I have searched high and low and have no answers. My work has decided there are too many security "issues" with having a wifi network so they dismantled it. Ok, fine. Except my cell phone coverage in a cinderblock building is mostly non existent. I am able to plug my own router from home into the network jack and connect via laptop wirelessly. When I open a browser, I just have to go under network settings and click auto detect proxy settings. Unfortunately this does not seem to exist on Android at any level. I'm Rooted, I'm using MIUI and despite many proxy apps on the market, Not one can auto detect. Some appear to be able to input it manually, but I have no clue what the settings are, and any site that claims to find them for you is block by our network. My buddy next to me can do it on his iphone (with quite a smirk I might add) but yet it does not seem possible for me.

Any ideas? The point of a smartphone is to make my life easier and more productive, but the lack of proxy settings preventing my wireless access is counter productive.

earlthepearl

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Proxy support on the Android is very disappointing. Many corporate wireless networks will have proxy with user authentication. Motorola is the only manufacturer that I've seen with decent proxy support, but it's still sketchy at best. The ASUS Transformer seemed to pretty well with it on our network. It seems the manufacturers have the control over this more than anything, so I'm baffled that they are not doing this better.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's very annoying. It's not just about the fact that my signal is so low. Carrier doesn't seem to matter, as all carriers are blocked by layers of Cinderblock. Since I do have VZW, it does work. I don't really miss any emails, or texts. I don't need to be on the phone (it's usually OK, but there are times calls cut out). But, with such a low signal, the battery life is horrendous. From 8 to 3, without much use, the phone is down to under 30% after a full charge. Wifi would significantly improve this.....except the damn proxy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol