Something rattling in there..

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else hear something rattling in the vicinity of the camera and/or led flashes? If I lightly tap the back of my phone, it sounds like something is slightly loose. Maybe it has something to do with the auto focus mechanics. Not sure. But it's slightly annoying.

dsilver#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
YES I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
I have noticed frequent "rattling" or "buzzing" sounds coming from the top half of the phone.
It's more pronounced when I'm on a call (worse w/ handset mode, better w/ speakerphone).
I am starting to think that the grille over the speaker might be loose, in which case I'll have to go back for a return (getting the same phone again, cause it's awesome).
That said: DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE INCREDIBLE *MIGHT* HAVE A DESIGN DEFECT THAT CAUSES UNUSUALLY FREQUENT RATTLING/BUZZING SOUNDS?

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Got it here too. I'm going to wager a guess that it's the accelorometer.

As for the buzzinng on top of the phone that's different....Check you phone settings. I think it's the screen vibrate when your face touches the screen. I've had this a few times too.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Well, I don't have any buzzing problems, or notice anything when on a call. Just notice it when I take it out of my pocket, or set it on my desk. When lightly tapping it, I hear a slight rattle. Basically, I just wanted to know if this is "normal", or do I need to exchange for a new one.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
yes the nexus one has it too. it is the camera auto focus mechanism. it jiggles around normally. but if you go to take a picture, and hav ethe auto focus mechanism in use, that jiggle will not make any noise. so its normal i wouldnt worry about it.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not so sure now. It actually appears that the led flashes are slightly loose. If I take the back cover off and very lightly press on the led's, I can feel them wiggle around just barely. I think they are rattling against the holes in the back cover. Also, if I press on the led's, and then tap the back of the phone as before (with the cover back in place), the rattle goes away.

herbologist

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I would not say its "normal", maybe it is, but I do not have that problem at all. Not one single thing is rattling in my phone and no noise on phone calls.

BigRed905

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Got it here too. I'm going to wager a guess that it's the accelorometer.

As for the buzzinng on top of the phone that's different....Check you phone settings. I think it's the screen vibrate when your face touches the screen. I've had this a few times too.

It is most certainly not the accelerometer.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
the rattling when plcing the phone down is normal and is most certianly the autofocus mechanism any phone with autofocus will do it (iphone 3gs, droid, nexus one, etc.)

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's the autofocus mechanism. The only thing that rattles is the little metal insert for the headphone jack. If you take of the back cover and shake it, you'll see what I mean.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
In my case, I'm sure it's the led flashes. They appear to be slightly loose in the case. Granted, when i say rattling, it's only a very very faint sound. But in a quiet room, you can hear it. Just slightly annoying. I may just take a small drop of superglue and very carefully secure the led's in place.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It's the Apple gremlins trying to get you to buy an iPhone. If it's a huge concern why not take it to a Verizon store and voice your concerns and see if they will swap you phone out!

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
It's the Apple gremlins trying to get you to buy an iPhone. If it's a huge concern why not take it to a Verizon store and voice your concerns and see if they will swap you phone out!

iPhone?!?! Hell no! lol

Yeah, I might take it by Verizon. I'm also not thrilled so far with the FM tuner reception. Lots of static. Not sure if that's normal or not (was going to post a separate thread about that). My Sansa Fuze mp3 player does much better at pulling in FM stations with very little static.

hcole623

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Same problem. I get a slight buzz during voice calls when the other person speaks at a certain pitch, obviously causing something internally to rattle. I've also noticed it only does this when holding the phone at certain angles. It's driving me crazy. The sound is similar to a blown speaker, since it only rattles/buzzes/distorts at certain frequencies. Anyone else noticing this?

TheDonVEto

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I heard the rattle AND had a strange trackpad problem, where the green selector box that appears when using the trackpad would randomly move around my screen untouched, often losing my place on a page, or randomly swiping my home page to the secondary screens. The trackpad wouldn't snap photos on occasion, too.

So, I took it to Verizon. They said "no phone should rattle" and thought it might be a speaker problem, shipped it off and replaced mine.

However, when my replacement arrived, I noticed this one, too, rattles. When the back is taken off, it's clear that the silver mic jack inset rattles. However, consistent with everyone's description, it rattles when tapped toward the top of the phone.

I haven't had too many call vibrations, but let me ask everyone this, what does it sound like on your phones when a set alarm clock alarm goes off during a phone call? Mine gives this God awful, high-pitched squeal.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I went to my doctor and put my arm straight in the air. I said, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor said, "Well then don't do that."

Just take the doctor's advice and don't do that. (Don't tap the phone.)