Noob confuse - Gmail as Push email Server

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I apologize for posting this, but I'm new to Android (coming from BB) and I am confused, I've had my Incredible for an hour. Using the information from AC I set up my gmail account to push email from my pop account to my Incredible. Question is where does it show up on my phone? Under gmail icon, mail icon, message icon? I don't see where it is showing up anywhere. Any input would be helpful. Thank you

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
No need to use POP if it's a Gmail account. Disable POP and enable IMAP.
(log in to your web-based email box, click on the Settings link at the top of the web page > Forwarding and POP/IMAP)

There ought to be a Gmail icon on your home screen, unless you've removed it for some reason. Tap the Gmail icon to open your inbox. Gmail pushes to your phone very quickly -- great stuff!

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
neither response is accurate. you DO need to use pop if you're adding your pop account to your gmail account. once you add a pop account (you can add up to 5), it IS pushed to your phone through your gmail account. and you cannot specify a fetch interval for these imported pop addresses, they are determined by google. last night it was fetching pop emails like every 2 minutes. today it's outrageously slow, every 50 minutes or so.

the pushed pop emails appear in your gmail inbox, and you can label them anything you like to separate them (most usually just use the email address as the label)

you can specify that any replys to your pushed pop mail gets sent from either your gmail account or your pop smtp server.

you can also specify a signature to use for your pushed pop emails. overall the service is pretty slick, the only downfall as of now is that you're at the mercy of google for when they decide to fetch your email from the servers and push it to your gmail box.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies, but thats not answering my question. I have a pop email account that is my primary email. I set up my Gmail account to fetch mail from my pop account so it can be pushed to my phone.

With that scenario, would my pushed pop emails show up under gmail icon? or somewhere else?

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
see above. gmail icon. use labels (you set them up when you set up the pop account in gmail on a pc) and you're golden. if you want to get real fancy you can specify that your labeled emails go to a specific dedicated folder you've created. i personally prefer a single unified inbox labeled appropriately

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
OK, thanks Indianajonze, I think thats the info I was wondering about. You are very helpful. Coming from BB and Crackberry, I feel like I'm starting all over again. LOL.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
LOL, I guess I now understand why soooo many miss BB's push email. This work around isn't very good. I know its suppose to save battery, but I might just resort to pull email instead.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope someone could answer just several more questions about this push feature. New to android. So I set up two pop accounts for google to push, using AC of course. My two issues are...1) Why is it now pushing emails that are over 8 months old from me other accounts, which were read already? I only want it to push new emails. How can I fix that. I keep deleting them but it is getting very annoying. 2) I deleted my two other pop accounts from my device because technically all my email should show up in the Gmail app correct? But I keep getting notifications from the regular email app (not the gmail notification) of mail I received (old mail BTW). I thought if you deleted the two accounts from the device that app would no longer be in play. Am I wrong to think that? Anything I could do to just have ALL my email show up in the Gmail app as under my gmail account from my other aol accounts? Thanks for any help you all can give this new android. Coming from BB this has some more of a learning curve to set up. BTW it is on a G2X.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I guess I now understand why soooo many miss BB's push email. This work around isn't very good. I know its suppose to save battery, but I might just resort to pull email instead.

I came from a BB over a year ago when the Dinc was first released. I HATED this phone at first and after a few hours, I packed it back in the box ready to send it back. I actually deactivated it, and reactivated my Tour. After a night's sleep I figured I was just not used to it, and should give it a good week before deciding. Glad I did. Email has never been a problem for me. You just have to embrace Google if you're gonna use a google phone. I use Gmail for my personal email. Whether it's pop/imap/push/pull, whatever, the emails come just as quick as my blackberry.......as long as it's Gmail. My comcast account was always delayed through the bb servers so even though they were pushed, I always had a good 15 minute delay on them. The HTC mail program syncs up with my Exchange account just fine for Work, and they are pushed rather quickly as well. So, I have never had any issues with email being worse on this device than it was on my BB. I just had to get used to separate inboxes as they were all combined on the BB. I actually prefer them to be separate now, but at first I hated it. The biggest battle was learning the menus and setup. That took a while. However, I love this device and can forsee me using it long passed my upgrade date unless something leaps and bounds better comes along next year. The ease of rooting the device and swapping Roms is a bonus and if you ever installed leaked OS's on your BB, then you should definitely root and play around. Good luck with the Dinc, as I feel you got the best Android phone out there.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Gmail needs POP. Yahoo and hotmail use imap

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk

Wait...what? POP is junk. Why would anyone use POP for Gmail? Is someone's app having a problem with IMAP?

Always recommended to disable POP & used only IMAP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis