Incredible contacts: facebook pic won't update

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
OK here's the deal...

On my Incredible, I have a page with all my favorite contacts. These pics are merged with facebook, and they show their facebook pictures. The one from my son's facebook page was an old picture. So I went into his facebook account and selected a new profile picture.

My incredible will not update his facebook picture to the picture currently on his facebook. It still shows the old one. I've tried unlinking and relinking, refresh, I go into his fb page from my phone. It shows his current fb profile pic in there, but when I go back to the contact list, it stills shows the old fb picture.

How can I get my incredible to refresh this?

Let me add that this has been like this for a couple of days, and I have fb set to 30 minutes refresh and another setting shows update frequency as 2 hours, so this is not the reason it's not updated.

Last edited:

alkaline

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
do you have multiple accounts linked for him? i know i have FB and flickr accounts linked and you can choose which pic to use. maybe it's using a pic from another account?

drclayton

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem...in fact i posted about this a couple days ago and it got buried :(

anyways i read in another forum that you have to delete your facebook htc sense and then readd it and then reboot the phone. That worked for me...but it seemed like too much hassle. Cus i had to re-link the contacts.
I wonder if just rebooting the phone works?

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if just rebooting the phone works?

It does not.

I've figured it is just a quirk of the program. I went so far as to delete him as a facebook contact. Delete the old pic from his account and mine. Delete his contact from the phone. Reboot the Incredible. Create a new contact for him, sent a friend request. Linked the contact to the friend. Still the old picture.:mad:

That would be ridiculous to have to delete the program. What it tells me is that it isn't really "sync'd" with facebook for the pictures. Instead it downloaded the pictures as they were and stored them in a cache. Only the status are sync'd.

alkaline

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i see what you're saying. i just noticed updates from my friends and while i get a thing saying they 'updated their profile' i don't get the updated picture. it's still the picture from when i originally set it up. strange.

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
i see what you're saying. i just noticed updates from my friends and while i get a thing saying they 'updated their profile' i don't get the updated picture. it's still the picture from when i originally set it up. strange.

yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think it is possible to get it to sync. It must have only downloaded the pictures in the initial sync. So it must not be something really to do with the Incredible, but a short-coming in the app itself.

Bullpride

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am actually having a similar problem. The facebook picture replaced my contacts picture that I took and chose. Is there any way to select the picture I took instead of the facebook picture?

alkaline

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
open the picture then hit menu > set as > contact icon > select the profile you want to set it to. something like that. it's pretty straight forward.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I've discovered that if you add a shortcut to a contact on your home screen, it will use whatever picture is assigned to that contact AT THAT TIME. If you change the picture in your contacts it will not change the picture that shows up in the icon, you have to delete the shortcut and make a new one to get the updated picture in the shortcut icon.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am actually having a similar problem. The facebook picture replaced my contacts picture that I took and chose. Is there any way to select the picture I took instead of the facebook picture?

Open the contact in "People" and click on his/her name at the top, then click on the picture in the corner and it will ask which picture you want to use (a picture from your photos, take a picture with the camera, the Facebook picture, etc).

Bullpride

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Open the contact in "People" and click on his/her name at the top, then click on the picture in the corner and it will ask which picture you want to use (a picture from your photos, take a picture with the camera, the Facebook picture, etc).

I found it as soon as I posted....lol Isn't that how it always goes. Has any one worked out how to get the updated Facebook Profile pics though??

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar question regarding a Contact's picture. My Google Contacts (cloud data) all have photos already. They download to my new and incredible Incredible without a problem. However, when I sync with Facebook, the images shown for my Contacts become their Facebook pictures instead of the picture I had already set up in Google Contacts. When I try to edit the contact's photo, I don't see an option to use the Google Contacts image. I see the following options to "Select photo" from "Photos", "Camera", or "Remove photo".

Is it possible to keep the images associated with my Contacts untouched when I sync with Facebook?

IncredibleLane

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem too when I first synced my phone with Facebook.

I exported all my contacts to the SD card, synced them with google, did a factory reset on the phone, and synced my phone with google upon reactivating.

It worked for me.. It just sucked doing the factory reset and losing all my apps :(

IncredibleLane

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Oops-nevermind. It seems that the people contacts pictures don't sync.. BUT if you put a direct call/message link on the home screen, it will show the current picture..

Interesting... hope this issue is fixed!

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that some of my "poeple" are showing new facebook pictures. But for some reason, the picture of my son will NOT update. I've even deleted the other picture from his facebook account, and yet that is still the one that shows for his contact face.:confused:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Stupid question, but have you tried clearing your phone cache of pictures? Not sure where exactly it would be as I've never had to go looking for it, but I'm sure it's buried somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs