HELP / Exchange - processcom.htc.android.mail

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sad as I had to return HTC Incredible on Verizon Wireless. Absolutely LOVED this device in terms of Android OS, features & blazing fast speed on Verizon Wireless but 2 most important parts of phone for me = phone & my corporate email. Phone worked, unfortunately Android Mail app for corporate email did not.

1st Incredible I picked up morning of 4/29/10 wouldn't sync w/my Exchange Server (Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard). Exchange uses a self signed certificate. Returned it 4/30/2010 & got 2nd Incredible same day. 2nd one sync'ed w/Exchange no problem. It brought in my corporate email but when I touched on "Mail" (which showed 12 new emails) on main screen following error message came up:

"The application Mail (processcom.htc.android.mail) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." There was a button that said "Force Close". Would touch it to force close of the app & try to launch Mail again but same error came up.

Did hard reset - didn't help. Deleted account & synced again - didn't help. Went to Privacy and reset phone to Factory Default and synced again - didn't help.

Google Nexus One has same issue but with a different processcom error (their error is "process com.android.email"). Found this fix on a few Nexus One forums, but unfortunately Incredible Mail app doesn't have the "Clear Data" button, just "Clear Cache":

Open Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications
Tap Menu, choose Filter then choose Running
Tap the Email (Incredible is just "Mail") App then Tap Clear Data button

Side notes, have a Verizon HTC Droid Eris, Verizon Motorola Droid and a T-Mobile My Touch on our Exchange Server. Sync of all 3 phones was a breeze! No problems. Also, my personal GMail worked beautifully on Incredible for me as well as my POP3 verizon.net.

Really do want to stop using my BlackBerry Curve 8330 which I am now back on. Returning Incredible was hard to do but phone & email are what I use a smartphone for most.

Anybody else out there have this issue? If yes, did you get it resolved? How?

HTC, if you are out there ... can you get me in touch with somebody internally that may be able to provide me with a fax for your Mail application or with somebody that can tell me if an OTA will be forthcoming that will address this problem?

Thank you.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Curious why would your company use a self-signed cert for a public Internet facing server?

You don't have to spend a lot on a cert to have a valid one that will work with just about any phone we have tried. < $30

We had a lot of problems with a number of different phones when attempting to use a self-signed cert. Not worth the hassle...

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Curious why would your company use a self-signed cert for a public Internet facing server?

You don't have to spend a lot on a cert to have a valid one that will work with just about any phone we have tried. < $30

We had a lot of problems with a number of different phones when attempting to use a self-signed cert. Not worth the hassle...
Yes, we do use self signed certificate. Wrote that we did in 2nd paragraph. Lot of info in my initial post so I can understand you didn't see it. Seems to me it is something in the HTC "Mail" app that ships w/Incredible based on error message?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, we do use self signed certificate. Wrote that we did in 2nd paragraph. Lot of info in my initial post so I can understand you didn't see it. Seems to me it is something in the HTC "Mail" app that ships w/Incredible based on error message?

I think the question, was why your company uses one, not does your company use one.

I know most companies I've worked at purchase the cert for the same reasons mentioned above.

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the question, was why your company uses one, not does your company use one.

I know most companies I've worked at purchase the cert for the same reasons mentioned above.
Sorry, read it quick, but now goign back I see I read krelvinaz post of 05-05-2010, 10:41PM wrong. Upon krelvinaz's post I think I'll give a valid cert a shot & see if that helps. Stay tuned ...

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Skytruss: check out post #53 in this thread. It looks like something related to certs may have been updated. Maybe that will help with your issue.
Thanks Cory! Pass my thanks along to Roy Aguilera as well. Looks like there may be something there. Called VZW Tech Support tonight to see if OTA would address "processcom.htc.android.mail". Rep just kept on reading to me, "Customers using Exchange for corporate email may find when an email is opened that has no recipients in the CC field, unintended recipients email addresses can sometimes be added into the CC field from previously received emails when the user selects the reply all function. The update that is being pushed to customers is to correct that issue. THIS ONLY IMPACTS EXCHANGE Users."

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Also, emailed HTC Tech Support my initial post above (05/05/2010 9:52PM). No reply yet from them. Will let you know if they reply & if they have a resolution.

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Have a BAND-AID ... just asked user of Droid Eris in our office if he could open up his web browser on Eris and try reaching our server via OWA ... success! I'm going back to HTC Incredible. Just called local store & they have a few left in stock. Will write more later.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Have a BAND-AID ... just asked user of Droid Eris in our office if he could open up his web browser on Eris and try reaching our server via OWA ... success! I'm going back to HTC Incredible. Just called local store & they have a few left in stock. Will write more later.

Sweet. Did you install a new cert to fix this issue?

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Sweet. Did you install a new cert to fix this issue?
No. Cert is not installed yet. Will let you know what happens after cert installed on Exchange server. Stay tuned ...

Going off of memory as Incredible is on charger now, but if memory serves correct web browser on phone tells me there is a cert error and I touch "Continue" which then brings up OWA login page.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
My exchange email seems to work pretty well. Occasionally, it may take a few mins to send outgoing, but that may be a signal issue. I don't use touchdown, just the stock HTC mail program. I like how I can view all my folders in outlook on the incredible. I couldn't do that with the storm.

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
My exchange email seems to work pretty well. Occasionally, it may take a few mins to send outgoing, but that may be a signal issue. I don't use touchdown, just the stock HTC mail program. I like how I can view all my folders in outlook on the incredible. I couldn't do that with the storm.
Curious - do you know if your Exchange server has a self signed certificate?

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Never received reply from HTC Tech Support above so I called HTC Tech Support at lunch about the processcom.htc.android.mail issue. Rep was very helpful but said they haven't seen this issue. Most likely it's between their application & our server. She recommended I use K-9 Mail or Touchdown by NitroDesk. We will also be getting rid of our self signed certificate & purchasing one for our Exchange server. Will let you know what happens once all of this takes place ...

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
SUCCESS!!! Thank you krelvinaz & Cory Streater. Purchased certificate from Globalsign late this afternoon which is now on our Exchange Server. Downloaded & installed Exchange for Android 2.0 / 2.1 by NitroDesk (via Android Market, if you are using HTC Incredible make sure you grab "Exchange for Android 2.0 / 2.1") and my HTC Incredible is now able to send & receive my corporate email. I'm one happy camper!

skytruss

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Cory, now I am really loving my Android phone! The GlobalSign cert was the equalizer. As stated previously ... thank you for the assistance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar