OTA Gingerbread!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll bet the Nexus Prime will change your stance about Samsung. Don't those Nexus phones get straight updates directly from Google?

Considering HTC's track record lately, I'm not counting on the Vigor being perfect either.

But the Prime (and the Nexus S) is NOT a true Samsung phone. Like you said Google controls the software upgrades. It's a Google phone manufactured for them by Samsung. One can not be compared to the other.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
But the Prime (and the Nexus S) is NOT a true Samsung phone. Like you said Google controls the software upgrades. It's a Google phone manufactured for them by Samsung. One can not be compared to the other.

His complaint was that Samsung failed in 'update support.' Therefore, the Nexus is very much what he's looking for -- unhindered updates. hehe.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
His complaint was that Samsung failed in 'update support.' Therefore, the Nexus is very much what he's looking for -- unhindered updates. hehe.

Yes I know but my point was that the nexus phone should not even be spoken of in the same sentence because the are completely different animals.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
correct.
I have the rooted version and am in a love hate relationship with it.
The low storage when there is storage is a big issue.
Also, a bigger issue is how the update really screwed up a lot of Dinc2.

Bruinfanjb

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got an email from HTC that said the 2.3.4 update was still pushing to the phone and the Thunderbolt update was the one that got pulled.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got an email from HTC that said the 2.3.4 update was still pushing to the phone and the Thunderbolt update was the one that got pulled.

LOL, wow talk about one hand not knoowing what they other hand is doing :(

All you have to do is read the forums and you will see that no one is getting the DInc upgrade and no one is complaining about NOT getting it for the TBolt like we are seeing on here. Trust me you dont want this update it has issues and even those of us not effected by the major ones have phones that think they are the EVO on Sprint. Sit tight and the fixed update will come soon enough. :)

Mousebeast

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I had tried everything listes on this thread with no luck. However, I noticed that when I looked for the update.zip file from my phone (I used ES Explorer) it wasn't there. Windows showed it but the phone didn't seem to see it. I then moved the file via USB to the phone storage. I then unplugged the USB and moved the file from the phone's memory to the SD root directory with my file explorer. It was then visible to the phone and the hboot took right off. I'm now a proud gingerbread fan.

^^^ This ^^^

blair.nichole

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I have followed all of the steps to a t... however when I to go flash, the phone will do a search, then nothing happens, it just goes back to the regular hboot screen.

thesonicboom

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I dont have my DI on verizon anymore. (Got suckered into the TB) However, I still use it for music and stuff. I was able to flash the .2 update just fine and when I try to flash the .3 update, it says failure and reboots. I have followed every step perfectly. I have reformatted my sd card to fat32. My file is named update (.zip) and when I choose update from sd card it just says failure and reboots. I have downloaded directly to my pc then transferred, and have used several download links. HHMM what the heck is going on....

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
@thesonicboom

Don't bother updating. It wrecks the phone for the most part. A few weeks after doing a factory reset - just last night - I started getting the 'low space' warning again. When that happens, all my email addresses stop syncing. Calling Verizon (again) to biotch at 'em.

thesonicboom

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
its says E:can't open /cache/system/recovery/command
then when i choose apply update from sd card it says this
invalid operation
success in rebooting by oem

thesonicboom

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Ya, well I have already updated to the .2 and want to get the .3 fix, not I am hearing that they pulled that too.... I already have a biotch of a complaint going through with my Tbolt......HTC is on there last leg with me...........The rezound better be good or its bye bye HTC for me....

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
You know, I just found out that this wasn't the official OTA update, after all.

I just got off the phone with VZW Tier 2 Support. He said that the Build Number and Software Version on my phone (starting with 4's) were not part of the approved update -- the approved updates started with 3's.

Google Voice disconnected the call as he was researching it more; so, I couldn't continue getting his help.

I don't know where this update came from, but it was NOT Verizon's update.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
@thesonicboom

Don't bother updating. It wrecks the phone for the most part. A few weeks after doing a factory reset - just last night - I started getting the 'low space' warning again. When that happens, all my email addresses stop syncing. Calling Verizon (again) to biotch at 'em.

I don't get that anymore. Formatted my card got rid of app data and hasn't happened since.

If anyone wants the build that was put on here right before it was released I can dropbox it to you.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You know, I just found out that this wasn't the official OTA update, after all.

I just got off the phone with VZW Tier 2 Support. He said that the Build Number and Software Version on my phone (starting with 4's) were not part of the approved update -- the approved updates started with 3's.

Google Voice disconnected the call as he was researching it more; so, I couldn't continue getting his help.

I don't know where this update came from, but it was NOT Verizon's update.

My build is 2.3.4 and the software starts with 4. Anyhow by their rules they are supposed to call back with a disconnect.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
they are supposed to call back with a disconnect.

He did call back (fortunately!), and he is sending a replacement DInc via USPS snail mail.

All I know is that the build # and software # were not part of the 'approved' track at Verizon - per the Tier 2 Support rep. I don't know where this came from.

I'm glad I'll have a replacement at last.

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am still monitoring the (7) Dincs I Updated to GB (mine and six others)....and still No Problems after more than 2 months. To me, the most puzzling part of this whole saga, is that so many people had problems?.....while Many had None. My phone updated in less than 5 minutes.....and has worked flawlessly. It's an original Dinc.

Android 2.3.4
Software number 4.06.605.3

I am now wondering what version of the OTA was causing the "troubles" for others and if it is different from the version I used?