OTA Gingerbread!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So, I got the notification encouraging me to update my system. I ignored the notification but the update of course remains in the background. Is there a chance my phone could preform the installation automatically or the next time I restart my phone? Should I be concerned of anything else? =/ After reading some of these comments, I know I do no want the update. I'd trust a custom ROM over this any day...

It's highly likely yes.There is nothing you can really do about it so I don't see the point on expending the energy worrying about it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone actually received and installed the ~8MB download with software version 4.08?

I feel like Verizon updated their page to reflect the patch version, but is first finishing pushing out 4.06....

Yes that is my suspicion as well :(

I am hesitant to install 4.06 because I don't want to have to re-do all my apps. Does anyone know if using Apps2SD to move them all back to the phone prevents them from being erased/borked?

Atleast the update train is moving again! Just in time for me to buy a Galaxy Nexus lol.

If the update has been pushed to you there really isn't anything you can do to stop it other than rooting and some hackery... you can delay it but sooner or late it will install by itself while you are sleeping or when the device reboots.

Yes I would move your apps back to the phone, weather it will prevent them from being borked no one can say for sure but it certainly cant hurt.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Great, this sucks... Will the update affect those like me who are rooted?

It is inadvisable to install an OTA update when rooted. You will almost certainly loose root, and it is possible that something you did while rooted (some modification you made) could mess things up.

Elsewhere in the thread there is a link to edit a file for root users to prevent getting the OTA.

Cellulah

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It is inadvisable to install an OTA update when rooted. You will almost certainly loose root, and it is possible that something you did while rooted (some modification you made) could mess things up.

Elsewhere in the thread there is a link to edit a file for root users to prevent getting the OTA.

Thanks, I found it. However, it advises following the procedure before getting the update. I guess there's no sense in doing it now... I'll hope for the best.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this comment under the blog post - by "douhunt":

"Typing *#*#2432546#*#* into my phone (without hitting send) started the update"
Seems to have worked for others. Personally, I'm trying to hold off until I know the patch is going out.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Got my OTA notification on my way to work (odd to get one at like 10p I thought). Got to work and did it, and right out of the start got the low memory notification. Cleared the cache and data out of a handfull of apps and it went away....already starting to second guess my decision.

May hold onto it though...somewhere I was reading earlier (looking for a battery drain solution) about VZW sending a Inc2 to those people whose GB upgrade messed with their phone

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
VZW stopped sending DInc 2's a while back. I just received a replacement - refurbished DInc, and I was lucky just to get that.

I was afraid of that. Now I am missing apps, ironocially the ones that were on my SD card. Not sure what can be done about it though. Could be a LONG night at work

cheeseman057

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

"Typing *#*#2432546#*#* into my phone (without hitting send) started the update"
Seems to have worked for others. Personally, I'm trying to hold off until I know the patch is going out.

That's what I did and I got the update, my version also has the 4"3 screen in the hardware info. Wondering if the market has the sprint tab also...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I've tried this several times this evening but to no avail... of course I aleady have the first GB maybe tomorrow...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's what I did and I got the update, my version also has the 4"3 screen in the hardware info. Wondering if the market has the sprint tab also...

Probably. theory back when this build first came out was that the market app was using the screen size and processor to determine carrier and it thinks it is an Evo

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup, woke up to find the message....and more info shows it will be the 87.8mg file. That does not sound good...Since I am still half asleep, that sounds like the old crappy update that screwed with so many phones...will there be a patch after this one???

starnes0564

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just updated mine but still has the old 4.06.605.3. I do show the sprint tab and 4.3 screen some fonts changed but no dead apps that I have found. Unbelievably fast boot up as well seems to have gotten a little snappier throughout the phone . Haven't came across any other bugs but no real noticeable changes either.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon support page does show an 8MB file to update to build 4.08 and it specifically references fixing the screen size issue and the Verizon tab in the Market... There's no way the entire Gingerbread update is only 8MB, so that definitely points to the need to install the first GB update and then wait for the patch... But how long that will take, no one knows...

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger... For now...

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and do not want the update. I just started getting the notification last night. I renamed the file but keep getting the notification. Any ideas?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49