How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??

Hi, all, I am getting this Xapush push ads for various apps. showing up in my status bar, toward the top my screen.

There is a red star and then an advertisement about a particular app....along with the words "optout at Xapush.com"

I believe I first started seeing the ads after installing the "how stuff works" app., which said it needed to also have AirPush installed, in order to work effectively.

I wetn to Xapush.com and it looks like the site is asking for my phones "IMIE" # in order to officially opt out.

However, I don't want to provide that information, as I don't trust Xapush.

Anyone else found a remedy to this ad-pushing issue and how did you solve it ?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Everyone: Another issue I am having (that seemed to start around the same time) is that when I go to look at my photos in "gallery," there are often videos that I didn't download, under "albums."

I haven't watched, them, but they appear to be ads ?

Any thoughts ?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This just happened to me too. The link above to the Yahoo forum helped identify the offending app. It was an existing app which started using the xapush SDK in a recent release. This is why I keep auto-update for all apps turned off. I like to know what is being updated.

The app is called Tube Mate. I had suspected thus was the culprit because of the recent update. The Airpush detector app confirmed it.

Soon after installing the update, my phone locked up for a good 3 minutes, not responsive at all even to the Power button. I waited and eventually it rebooted itself.

Soon after that I noticed that my SD card space had dropped to only 1% free. I have not found any thing that this Adware may have downloaded yet to fill up my SD card but I'm still looking.

Tube Mate (or any other software) that users xapush is making a BIG mistake and putting their reputation on the line. People will not be happy when this happens to them.

Bye-bye Tube Mate.

Brian_d

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice find Darkblue! This Just started happening to me to - airpush said it was "austin powers soundboard". Uninstalled. We'll see if that solves the problem...

Update: no more spam in the notification bar!

Last edited:

calidrmr

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
so bummed...just lost MP3 music download :'(

btw...in my notifications it was telling me it was Facebook for Android...lol

Last edited:

firstimeandroid

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
calidrmr, mine is doing the same thing. i also downloaded mp3 download. and it also says Facebook for Android. it set to my screen as a widget. but deleted it have you taken it off where it does not come back?

interact1ve

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with ways to disable xapush without using the AirPush app (which does nothing and probably adds to the problem) and without "opting-out" by sending them my IMIE...and without having to uninstall the apps.

I think I found a way to keep the apps under control. Using Addons Detector, I identified all the apps that contain AirPush scripting. They were the ones I had suspected, but what I did not know was that each and every one was in my startup sequence...which puts them in cache and keeps them running. Then I installed Autorun Manager and disabled each of the apps from startup.

It has only been one day, but so far so good. I can still use the apps if I want, but if I restart afterwards, there appears to be no xapush present. As a matter of fact, it looks like without the startup component, you can even have the apps running without xapush able to function...but can't be sure about that without more testing.

If anybody else tries this method, please share the successes and failures here.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebel2b

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis