Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??

How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??

Hi, all, I am getting this Xapush push ads for various apps. showing up in my status bar, toward the top my screen.

There is a [HL]red[/HL] star and then an advertisement about a particular app....along with the words "optout at Xapush.com"

I believe I first started seeing the ads after installing the "how stuff works" app., which said it needed to also have AirPush installed, in order to work effectively.

I wetn to Xapush.com and it looks like the site is asking for my phones "IMIE" # in order to officially opt out.

However, I don't want to provide that information, as I don't trust Xapush.

Anyone else found a remedy to this ad-pushing issue and how did you solve it ?
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??

Everyone: Another issue I am having (that seemed to start around the same time) is that when I go to look at my photos in "gallery," there are often videos that I didn't download, under "albums."

I haven't watched, them, but they appear to be ads ?

Any thoughts ?
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Its an Incredible feeling
    Thanked by 46:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblue31 View Post
    Darkblue - Thank you ! I found 3 apps. on my phone that use Airpush and uninstalled them.

Jason.

ROM
    Stock

Please share which Alps they were so the rest of us can avoid them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
    Thanked by 2:
    jacklangford likes this.

the link worked for me, well done.
    Thanked by:

This just happened to me too. The link above to the Yahoo forum helped identify the offending app. It was an existing app which started using the xapush SDK in a recent release. This is why I keep auto-update for all apps turned off. I like to know what is being updated.

The app is called Tube Mate. I had suspected thus was the culprit because of the recent update. The Airpush detector app confirmed it.

Soon after installing the update, my phone locked up for a good 3 minutes, not responsive at all even to the Power button. I waited and eventually it rebooted itself.

Soon after that I noticed that my SD card space had dropped to only 1% free. I have not found any thing that this Adware may have downloaded yet to fill up my SD card but I'm still looking.

Tube Mate (or any other software) that users xapush is making a BIG mistake and putting their reputation on the line. People will not be happy when this happens to them.

Bye-bye Tube Mate.
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

Worked for me too. Was the app Linux News. Thanks!

Worked for me and my Xoom, thank you
    Thanked by:

Nice find Darkblue! This Just started happening to me to - airpush said it was "austin powers soundboard". Uninstalled. We'll see if that solves the problem...

Update: no more spam in the notification bar!
    Last edited by Brian_d; 10-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

Thanks for the info. Why must companies do this crap?
    Thanked by:

How to successfully uninstall/optout of Xapush ads??
    Thanked by 2:
    jacklangford likes this.

Android Karaoke is the only AirPush app I have. It must be it, but I installed a long time ago and just started getting the ads.
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

Worked Great!!
    Thanks so much.
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.
    Sal

Me too. Had to uninstall GPS Fix app from my Tbolt.

so bummed...just lost MP3 music download

btw...in my notifications it was telling me it was Facebook for Android...lol
    Last edited by calidrmr; 11-10-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added extra info
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

calidrmr, mine is doing the same thing. i also downloaded mp3 download. and it also says Facebook for Android. it set to my screen as a widget. but deleted it have you taken it off where it does not come back?
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Hi if ya have overclock widget & its doing it you can shut it off in ad settings in overclock widget.
    Thanked by:
    jacklangford likes this.

thank you so much for this tip
    Thanked by:
    amanda82lhy and jacklangford like this.

I've been playing with ways to disable xapush without using the AirPush app (which does nothing and probably adds to the problem) and without "opting-out" by sending them my IMIE...and without having to uninstall the apps.

I think I found a way to keep the apps under control. Using Addons Detector, I identified all the apps that contain AirPush scripting. They were the ones I had suspected, but what I did not know was that each and every one was in my startup sequence...which puts them in cache and keeps them running. Then I installed Autorun Manager and disabled each of the apps from startup.

It has only been one day, but so far so good. I can still use the apps if I want, but if I restart afterwards, there appears to be no xapush present. As a matter of fact, it looks like without the startup component, you can even have the apps running without xapush able to function...but can't be sure about that without more testing.

If anybody else tries this method, please share the successes and failures here.
    Last edited by interact1ve; 11-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    jacklangford likes this.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Me too. Had to uninstall GPS Fix app from my Tbolt.
    If you have your Tbolt rooted you could install LBE Privacy Guard and just block mobile and wifi access for the app. No reason an app like GPS Fix should ever need internet access anyway.

I was wondering where those notifications were coming from. I had one other app besides GPS Fix that Addons Detector found so hopefully I'm good to go now.
    Thanked by:

Worked ! Mine was Mp3 Music Download !!!

It just started happening to me. It was being used by gpsfix application. Too bad since within the past month my GPS wasn't finding me, until after I downloaded the gpsfix application.

Great find Darkblue31, glad you posted it here.

i just downloaded the one called "Addons Detector"... (only downloaded that one cuz the "Air Push Detector" app said this one is better... I hope this works man, getting this notification for some new crap for Fbk is starting to make me mad!!!! Not to mention it almost tricked me into using this "new kind of Fbk" untill i read the fine print talking about $10.00 a month for the service!! Uhh NO!!!

Thanx DarkBlue

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Thanks for the tip. I think this worked. I sometimes really hate advances in technology. I miss the days of riding my bike to buy penny candy. Life was simple then. No worries. A sling shot and magnifying glass were enough to keep me happy.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast