Here's how I configure Handbrake to make FLAWLESS videos....
1. First download Handbrake from
2. Start it and click the "IPOD LEGACY" preset.
3. Set the Width to 848 and height to 480. Yeah, I know, it's >800 height, but it works, and you get to keep your 480 lines of width without anything looking out of wack.
4. Tick on "Keep Aspect Ratio"
5. Go into the "VIDEO" tab ahd change the bitrate to "Avg Bitrate (kbps):" to 600. You can set it higher, but you won't see a difference. If you do, feel free to crank it higher.
5. Presets menu up top > New Preset > Enter something meaningful > tick on "Store cropping values", click Add.
6. Note: When making videos, try to make the extension .mp4. Handbrake likes to make them M4V for some reason, but Act 1 complains and thinks it might not play (but it does). Renaming to MP4 will spare you a dialog box
You should now have a nice, shiny preset perfect for your Droid or HTC Incredible:
I've used Act One, but I recently found Meridian. You can point to some or all of your media folders where ever they may be.
It takes some getting used to, but you can fast forward and rewind videos on Meridian without the slider bar on the bottom. Just slide your finger across the screen and you get the see the video flash forward or backwards. It's also free.