Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Default Interrupt or silence notification sound for SMS

I may be slow, but I can't figure out how to silence a notification when I get a text. When I do, I have a 30 second ringtone which I use to increase the chance I hear it if I don't have the phone on me. But, there are times where I have it right next to me and would like to silence it rather than play the entire ringtone. The only thing I've been able to do is open the response box and type and send something quickly. Any ideas?

I do use Handcent as my SMS app

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I would like to know the same thing. I also use Handcent and have the same problem.

I just hit the close button and it stops right away.

The sound I am using is a modified version of the Crazy Apring tone. I took it and increased the volume, and made it repeat 6 times. I don't miss my SMS pages now.

Hmmm... just remembered. I am using a new app that adds to the default one. In the default Messages app, I have notifications off.

The other app is called SMS Popup and I have no problems clicking on the Close when it fires off.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM

yep need to know info, i know when you pull down the notification bar it silence it but why can't i just press the power or volume button for it to silent like my storm?

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

I would also like to know how to Interrupt or silence notification sound for SMS. anyone? Bueler, Bueler, Bueler
    Treo600>Treo 650>Treo 700>BB Pearl>BB Curve>BB Tour> DINC> Galaxy Nexus

Try hitting the back button, I think that might work.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)

Quote Originally Posted by StayFly View Post
    yep need to know info, i know when you pull down the notification bar it silence it but why can't i just press the power or volume button for it to silent like my storm?
    Because its NOT a storm.

This isn't so much an issue or bug as it is something that's not been implemented in most, if not all android devices but we will go ahead and call it an issue. I work for VZW and my manager actually came to me with this issue and wanted me to look into it. I tried on my Dinc, a droid x, a samsung fascinate and a droid. None of them would silence an SMS notification by hitting any physical buttons or soft buttons. Customer service over the phone didn't even have any info on it. Best recommendation is to just use a short tone. I really don't see this being fixed or implemented any time soon to be honest