1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "Damaged SD card" after battery swap

I made sure to power the unit off completely.
    I removed the battery case carefully, changed the battery, put the case back on and restarted the device.
    Then I got a notification my SD card was damaged. When I tapped the notification it asked if I was sure I wanted to reformat the card.
    I didn't.

Instead I restarted the handset and got the same notification. I shut off my phone, changed out the original card to another one I had laying around, no problem. Said "Preparing SD card" and worked fine.

I put the original SD card in my netbook and it picked it up fine. All the data is still on there and accessible. It just won't read on my phone. It seems a lot of the apps I use have installed data into this card and I don't want to start over.

My questions are
    1. Is this a known issue? I don't want to worry about doing this each time I change my battery.
    2. Anybody have this issue?
    3. What did I do wrong?

PS: This was not the 2GB card that came with my phone. These are both 8GB cards I had previously.

On Twitter: @charliemoreno On Facebook: facebook.com/charliem

This same thing happend to me today. I re formated my SD card and everything workd now,

So in other words back up current files on you SD card onto your netbook then reformat copy the files back your good to go. Sorry for the lack of punctuation.
    Roy Aguilera

Have changed my battery and this didn't happen. Back it up, reformat and reinstall the backed up folders.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I had swapped the battery before without issues. I just hope this isn't an ongoing problem.
    Defeats the purpose of saving files to external storage if you have to constancy backup and restore the files. This sucks if you play premium games that need to download data to your SD card.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I popped in my other 8 GB card and formatted from the phone. The other card wasn't formatted this way so maybe that can be the issue.

Did you reformat the SDcard when you started to use it in the unit first?

I just swapped out the Red battery for a new Extended Black battery (Seidio) a couple minutes ago without any issues.

I did reformat the 8gb card I used in the device before I started to use it though. The 2gb card is still in the package.

Also, what class is the card you are using. My 8gb is a Class 6.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So I want to clear this up just in case others have the same issue.

I have swapped out the battery several times and the only times i have had issues with the SD card becoming "damaged" is when the card is not formatted from the phone.

I tested this about 10 times and only had the "Damaged SD card" appear twice, both times happened after I formatted my card from my desktop.
    You may also want to UNMOUNT the SD card before swapping the battery to avoid this from happening. I believe that the battery supplies power to read and unmount the SD card a few seconds after the phone shuts down, so you may also want to wait a few seconds after powering down before removing the battery.

IF this does happen you can insert your SD card to your computer, copy the files, format the SD card from the phone, and replace the files by copying them over. I didn't have any issues at all trying this method.

Hope this clears up the issue for everyone.

Can't wait to get my Seidio battery charger so I don't have to swap batteries so often anymore.

On Twitter: @charliemoreno On Facebook: facebook.com/charliem