1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Auto-text?

So I just switched over to Android from BlackBerry, and I must say I'm really loving it. One of the few things I miss about BlackBerry is the autotext. So, for example I could write "il" and it would automatically change it to "I'll", and the same thing for "hel" to "he'll" and "wel" to "we'll". Does Android have that functionality and if so, how do I set that up? Thanks!
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Did you go through the setup widget? Or process or whatever its called? I thought there was something in there where it kinda learned how you type or something like that.

I haven't changed any setting like what you speak of that I know of, and my phone does predict stuff pretty well. I think it gives you choices above while you type too.
    htc - Incredible

Settings > Language and keyboard > Touch Input > Text Input

Adjust prediction and correction as desired.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Unfortunately that doesn't quite give me what I'm looking for. I'd like to set it so that when I type "il" and hit space, it will automatically type "I'll". The only thing I can find is the custom dictionary, which is something different. Oh well. Thanks anyway!
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Mine does this if i type ill it gives me the option for I'll

to answer your question, no there is no way to have autotext the way that bb has it. w

it sucks, because i would type out complete sentences that i used often and then have it so if i typed a couple words it would fill it in..

(ie, "l8t" would write "i'm running late")

i don't remember if any of the other keyboards in the market had this ability, once i turn my phone back on i'll check it out for you.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Hello,
    yes! "Smart Keyboard PRO" on the market has this auto-text feature like on the BB, you can define shortcuts as on your example: "l8t -> i'm running late"

correct, i had forgotten about that and installed it yesterday and was happily surprised

ROM
    stock

Yes. Smart keyboard pro allows autotext. I think its keyboard is better than the stocks anyway.

This is one feature that I don't want to give up when and if I make the switch to Android. AutoText comes in very handy.

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    This is one feature that I don't want to give up when and if I make the switch to Android. AutoText comes in very handy.
    Re: post above you and another post above

Anyone have any concerns regarding the possibility of Smart Keyboard (or any keyboard replacement) capturing what is typed or less than friendly reasons?

Just curious.