Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Default Google Earth for Incredible - Still Nothing?

Hey folks,

I know this is a post about an app, but it's Incredible-specific. I've also read the numerous threads on getting Google Earth onto the Incredible, but I don't want to use the apk and a file browser. I'd rather just wait for it to show up in the Market and download it that way. But why is it still not there? It's been almost two weeks, and it's still not available for Incredibles in the App store? That's an embarrassment for Google, if you ask me...
    -Strygun
    Former phone: HTC Droid Incredible
    Current phone: Motorola Droid RAZR M
    Thanked by:

I'm not a big G-Earth user and I'm not defending the lack of it in the market but have you tried Maps with satellite layer selected? For my limited use with Earth it's about the same thing especially since they added the ability to "star" specific locations today making it pretty much like pinning a spot on GE. Plus you can search for stuff around it while you're there. I didn't know until recently that a long press on the map brings up info about that exact spot/address along with other options. I'm kinda new to it all.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

Not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm just curious. What is the point of google earth?

I used it years and years ago on PC and though it was great, but once google maps became popular I started using it instead. Until recently I didn't even realize google earth was still around. I thought it just evolved into google maps.

What the difference in a google earth program/app for PC or Phone and just using satellite view in google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by newdroidnewb View Post
    Not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm just curious. What is the point of google earth?

I used it years and years ago on PC and though it was great, but once google maps became popular I started using it instead. Until recently I didn't even realize google earth was still around. I thought it just evolved into google maps.

What the difference in a google earth program/app for PC or Phone and just using satellite view in google maps?
    I've never used Google Earth on a phone, but I know for a desktop it has a lot more features than Google Maps.

It has a TON more layers that you can turn on, and you can download or create your own layers. For example, I have a GPS tracker thing that logs my bike routes and I can export the file and open it in Google Earth and it shows where the exact track I took, including other data.

Also, Google Earth has 3d models of many buildings, especially in large cities (not the grey buildings you see when zoomed in on Google Maps but actual 3d models). You can also change your angle of viewing, meaning it doesn't have to be from overhead.

Most of the features are just cool to play around with, at least for me, and as a result I don't use Google Earth very often. It also has nicer animations and stuff, but that's not really too important. Oh, and it has a built-in flight simulator.

I'm sure there are other things that I'm not thinking of, or very specific uses that some people might use it for (for example using the built-in measuring tool), but there are differences. It's not simply Maps with the Satellite layer turned on. :-)
    Matt
    Using: HTC Incredible
    Formerly: BB Storm
    on Verizon Wireless

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

Quote Originally Posted by mr88 View Post
    I've never used Google Earth on a phone, but I know for a desktop it has a lot more features than Google Maps.

It has a TON more layers that you can turn on, and you can download or create your own layers. For example, I have a GPS tracker thing that logs my bike routes and I can export the file and open it in Google Earth and it shows where the exact track I took, including other data.

Also, Google Earth has 3d models of many buildings, especially in large cities (not the grey buildings you see when zoomed in on Google Maps but actual 3d models). You can also change your angle of viewing, meaning it doesn't have to be from overhead.

Most of the features are just cool to play around with, at least for me, and as a result I don't use Google Earth very often. It also has nicer animations and stuff, but that's not really too important. Oh, and it has a built-in flight simulator.

I'm sure there are other things that I'm not thinking of, or very specific uses that some people might use it for (for example using the built-in measuring tool), but there are differences. It's not simply Maps with the Satellite layer turned on. :-)
    Thanks, that makes a little more sense.

Of course with the google maps programs on phones nowadays having so many layers it may not be long before there isn't much of a difference from GE. Not sure about Android, but I know even on BB I have probably 10 layers in google maps, so GE must be pretty in depth. Maybe I'll DL it on PC something and play with it when I'm bored.

Yeah, can definitely be something fun to play around with when you've got some time to kill.
    Matt
    on Verizon Wireless
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

i had it loaded via apk but i could not open it says i dont enough memory.. htc and android need to fix this memory problem.. and yes i have a memory card a nice 16gb with 12gb free...
    Banned

Er...am I doing something...right? I have it on my Inc, DL'ed from the Market. Runs great.

Not sure why this is incredible specific. Google earth was removed from the market for all android version about when 2.1 was released for some reason. Choice of the author.

The official mobile page for it is: Google Earth for mobile and you can get it from there.

I've had it on my DI now for a couple days to see what it looked like, but I most likely will drop it as I really don't need it. I will be pruning a number of apps I've loaded by never use soon to drop some of the dead weight.

Google Earth is the largest of all the apps on my phone coming in at 22.48mb and it is not even close to the next highest which is Internet at 9.99mb.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM

Quote Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
    Not sure why this is incredible specific. Google earth was removed from the market for all android version about when 2.1 was released for some reason. Choice of the author.

The official mobile page for it is: Google Earth for mobile and you can get it from there.

I've had it on my DI now for a couple days to see what it looked like, but I most likely will drop it as I really don't need it. I will be pruning a number of apps I've loaded by never use soon to drop some of the dead weight.

Google Earth is the largest of all the apps on my phone coming in at 22.48mb and it is not even close to the next highest which is Internet at 9.99mb.
    I got "Sorry, Google Earth is not supported on your device." when I went there...
    Matt
    on Verizon Wireless

Same here. Just downloaded it from the app store on my inc and it worked fine.
    Last edited by csalem77; 05-11-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csalem77 View Post
    Same here. Just downloaded from the app store on my inc and it worked fine. Probably won't use it much but I wanted to see if it worked since it hasn't been for some people.
    It's not in the app market for the Incredible... Unless you're just making it up to try to mess with people, then what are you talking about? haha If you really have it then how did you find it; what did you search for, etc?
    Matt
    on Verizon Wireless

It's not in the app market for the Incredible... Unless you're just making it up to try to mess with people, then what are you talking about? haha If you really have it then how did you find it; what did you search for, etc?
    Um ok yea. I went to the app store went to apps then all apps and top free. It was the second one after Google maps. Just made the switch from blackberry and crackberry. Thanks for the nice welcome...

Um ok yea. I went to the app store went to apps then all apps and top free. It was the second one after Google maps. Just made the switch from blackberry and crackberry. Thanks for the nice welcome...
    Also just made the switch from BlackBerry/CrackBerry. Didn't mean to be rude, I'm sorry. I just went there and it's not listed, and judging by all of the threads about this I'm not the only one not seeing it. Are you in the US? Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm just curious as to why you'd see it when others don't.
    Matt
    on Verizon Wireless

Sorry, I got it via a APK... just checked my notes.
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM

Also just made the switch from BlackBerry/CrackBerry. Didn't mean to be rude, I'm sorry. I just went there and it's not listed, and judging by all of the threads about this I'm not the only one not seeing it. Are you in the US? Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm just curious as to why you'd see it when others don't.
    Ok cool. Thought the screen name looked familiar. Yea I'm in the US on VZW. I only went in to check and see if it was in there. I just now ran it to make sure there wasnt an error. Weird. If there is a screen capture app like capture it for the bb I'll send a screen shot.

some screen shots of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Earth for Incredible - Still Nothing?-ge04.jpg   Google Earth for Incredible - Still Nothing?-ge02.jpg   Google Earth for Incredible - Still Nothing?-ge01.jpg   Google Earth for Incredible - Still Nothing?-ge05.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
    some screen shots of it.
    Thanks. Just wish I knew why it shows for me in the Android market place but not for others.

Thanks. Just wish I knew why it shows for me in the Android market place but not for others.
    Lol. I'd like to know too. I have Earth on my Incredible via the apk but I'd rather see it available soon.

My buddy was showing off his ipod and demonstrating how he could use Earth Google to show a street view of where we have a gig this weekend. I was too embarrassed to show him my brand new Incredible which STILL CANNOT USE Earth Google.

WHAT's up with that??

When will it become available? What's the holdup??

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

The market doesn't have google earth for the HTC incredible yet. Least not for anyone but csalem77 he must have connections.

http://earth.google.com/support/bin/...&answer=174898

Google lists it as only compatible with Nexus One and Droid (utilizing 2.1 or later) ARMv7 instruction set. My guess is they are making an incredible version that supports either a new instruction set to make it run better on the incredible, or they are just lazy and haven't updated the market yet

You could probably use the appbrain app and select it as one of the apps to install to your phone from their site and go. Or simply find the apk file to install it.

Here is a link to a site talking about how it was pulled from the Moto Droid users and a like to download the apk file.
    http://androidheadlines.com/2010/04/...-1-update.html

Download it and put it on your SD card. Get Astro file manager from the Market. Open the apk with it and select install. You got google earth.
    Last edited by Qazme; 05-12-2010 at 02:10 AM.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
    Thanked by:

google earth shows up just fine in the marketplace for me as of last night. might have something to do with having to reset the phone last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    My buddy was showing off his ipod and demonstrating how he could use Earth Google to show a street view of where we have a gig this weekend. I was too embarrassed to show him my brand new Incredible which STILL CANNOT USE Earth Google.

WHAT's up with that??

When will it become available? What's the holdup??
    You do know that you can view Street View within Google Maps on the Incredible, right?
    Matt
    on Verizon Wireless
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Never use Google Earth on my Droid so I don't care it won't work on my Incredible.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Google Earth is 3D not just an overhead satalite view.

One of my employees got the incredible a couple days ago and I was helping him install a few things, I opened the market and google earth was there. I've never had it show up on mine though.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast