HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I started having this issue today (after having the phone work fine for two months). I deleted my account on HTC Mail and downloaded K9, but that didn't help.

I removed Facebook/Twitter syncing (since my contacts storage was at 84.3 MBs) and now my contacts won't load and I can't use the phone application. Everything else is working fine (browser, external apps), but I can't access my contacts and I can't make calls.

Anybody else having this problem?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Alright, never mind, I re-activated Facebook for HTC Sense and it worked fine. I am concerned about the fact that it seems to rely on Facebook for contacts? Not sure what would happen if I didn't use Facebook..

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to guess that you have your FB contacts linked to your GMail contacts.

I don't use FB at all (I'd remove it if I could) and I still had the memory issues.

Never had the problem with being unable to make calls, though.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how to check my contacts. Could you explain where I can see if my FB contacts are synced with gmail?

I would really love to avoid this type of syncing because it's just waiting for errors.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how to check my contacts. Could you explain where I can see if my FB contacts are synced with gmail?

I would really love to avoid this type of syncing because it's just waiting for errors.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Linked, not synched.

Go into your People app, and open up any Phone/GMail contact that you know you also have in FB.

At the top right, there will either be a broken chain icon (not linked), an unbroken chain (two white circles connected by a green line), or a button with the word "Link" on it and a number in a green circle.

If you have the broken chain or the Link button, the contact is not linked. The link button will suggest links based on what it thinks are similar fields on two separate contact cards (such as a Phone/Gmail contact with the name John Smith and a FB contact with the name John Smith, or two different names but the same email address).

If you have the unbroken chain, click on it and you will see how the contact types are linked (in my case I have several contacts that are linked on Google and Exchange). You can also add links from this screen.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I leave 3 or 4 already read emails in my inbox each night. When I get up the next morning they are gone! Help

Check your mail settings, "Send and Receive" settings, Here is where you set the Download options, check to see what there set at. You can change settings to reflect the number of days downloaded or the number of emails. See if that's the issue you have.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I see. Thanks, I'm going to unlink everything right now. Does that mean that when I have Facebook disconnected I can't access my contacts whatsoever?

That I don't know, but you can always re-link them if that's the case. Just go back into the People app and click the chain icon.

newlifer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so it's been 6 hours since I've done the defrag. all is working well. I have even seen a drop in the HTC mail size. It's not number one anymore on the show by size in manage applications!!! Whoo woo! I think the defrag trick is the answer until they can get a patch for HTC mail client. Im glad I didn't have to factory reset me phone :)

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Argh, the notification is back. However, it doesn't look like HTC Mail is causing problems; when I look at the application sizes, Contacts Storage is 101 MBs. HTC Mail is only 1.92 MBs - am I looking in the wrong spot? (settings > applications > manage applications)

Hopefully they fix this with Froyo -___-

HokieGirl

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I came to this forum a week ago after getting the storage space error and did a factory reset. When the reset was done, I downloaded K9 and quit using the HTC mail. Everything was fine until I got the error message again today. I learned from the last time that my phone will completely lock up if I don't deal with it (even though I had over 650MB of internal storage). I found the solution on another forum and it worked! (Droid ncredible). You have to go into Manage Applications and go through them and click open and clear cache or clear data.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If I were to say "clear data" for Contacts Storage would I lose all my contacts? Clearing cache hasn't seemed to work.

This is giving me a headache even though it hasn't given me issues yet. That said, I'd obviously prefer to take care of it before my phone locks up and I'm forced to do a factory reset.

HokieGirl

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I didn't clear data on contacts. I did it on stuff like Facebook and Text Messages where you think they're deleted but still stored internally.

newlifer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Idk... The defrag worked for me so far. I cleared all the cache and emails from trash and the error never went away. The only thing that got rid of it for me was to defrag both drives and poof no error message

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy