Page 1 of 15 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

I have reason to believe that HTC Mail has a significant memory leak or bug which is causing all of the "Phone storage is getting low" messages. I've had the phone for 2 weeks as of this thursday. my setup is 4 pop3 email accounts configured during the initial setup in HTC Mail. I've noticed during the two weeks that the HTC Mail app has been steadily ballooning in size. it starts out small enough, just a few megs, but after a day or so jumps to 40-50megs. After that jumps to 80megs, 90megs, 100megs, 110megs etc.

At around 110-115 megs it triggers the "phone storage low" messages, and soon thereafter the phone essentially becomes non-functioning. the problem is that as far as i can tell, there's no way to reduce the file size of this HTC mail app once this process has started. i've deleted every shred of email, all inboxes, all sent, all trash all everything from every mail folder for every account - no reduction in app size. then i set about actually deleting the email accounts themselves one by one - no reduction in app size.

i trashed every shred of email from the system, and the HTC mail app still hovered around 110megs (and the phone storage low indicators continuing). after researching the issue online and piecing 2+2 together i realized that the only solution is to wipe the phone. the issue there is that there are no guarantees that the issue wouldn't resurface again (actually it's quite likely).

so after wiping the phone last night, i did NOT setup HTC mail, but rather switched to K9 (just using gmail exclusively is also an option). so far zero issues. obviously 12 hours or so is too small a sample size to make definitive conclusions, but after all of the research i've done i'm confident the "phone storage is getting low" errors will not return.

bottom line: HTC mail seems to have a very significant memory leak or bug that causes it to blow through its allocated memory at an alarming pace, and there is very little that can be done to stop it once it's started. i would strongly recommend to those of you with the above issues to NOT use HTC mail after wiping the phone...

EDIT: oh, one small added bonus- after wiping the phone, google earth appears in the android market
    Last edited by indianajonze; 05-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I've had my Incredible for about the same amount of time, and I haven't noticed an issue with HTC mail.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yeah a lot of people havent. but a lot of people have as well. are you using HTC mail with pop3 accounts exclusively? how many? also, what is your HTC mail file size right now?

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

I have comcast and yahoo mail set up on my phone, it seems like they are handled by the htc mail process. The total size of my htc mail is 1.96 mb, out of which 1.9 mb is just data I guess. The cache size says 60.00 kb, so the numbers seem to add up.

I have yet to receive any email on yahoo, but i hardly use yahoo. Comcast, I get one or two emails every other day or so, so minimal usage. Do you use more?

I'm just wondering if this is happening to a specific set of phones or across the board (assuming higher usage than me).
    htc - Incredible

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

There is already a thread about this problem, I had 2 pop email accounts and I wiped the phone and now have those accounts going to my gmail and I only have the gmail account now active on the phone. I will see if this stops the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajonze View Post
    yeah a lot of people havent. but a lot of people have as well. are you using HTC mail with pop3 accounts exclusively? how many? also, what is your HTC mail file size right now?
    How do you check the file size?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

settings-applications-manage applications-then you can either view manually or sort by size. you may have to wait a few seconds for it to calculate file sizes
    Thanked by 2:
    JFrpfarrah 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by socalguy View Post
    There is already a thread about this problem, I had 2 pop email accounts and I wiped the phone and now have those accounts going to my gmail and I only have the gmail account now active on the phone. I will see if this stops the problem.
    this thread is about what i believe is a specific issue with the htc mail application. the phone storage low issue (which is what that other thread is about) is a symptom of that. so i thought it was a different thread topic

About 40 MB with just one POP account plus gmail. After I cleared my email (which I do regularly) I had the same. Then I cleared the folders: Sent, Trash, Drafts. Still had 15 MB. Cleared the cache and I still have 8.29 MB.

Hmmmmmmmm.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

gmail is a separate app. the htc mail app just handles pop, imap and exchange.

I have an Exchange account with a lot of mail and folders. My Mail size is 109 MB which is understandable, but what I do not get is that in Settings => SD Card & phone storage, the internal phone storage is 6.6 GB with 6.0 GB free and the phone memory is 748 MB with 666 MB available. Why am I getting the low memory warning if I have a lot still available?
    Now: Droid Incredible
    Was: Palm Treo and iPod Touch

I've never seen this error...

The "phone storage space is getting low" error is saying that the phones "Phone Memory" is getting low.

This is not the external SDcard memory card.

This is not the Internal Storage Memory (something that only the Droid Incredible has, so far).

It is the Phone memory that is indicated below that is seen in Menu > Settings > SD Card & phone storage:

That memory is the only memory used by Android to store apps. By default, the Market, browser and some other apps use that storage for cache. Many of those can be redirected to the SDCard. Some to the SDcard or the internal storage.

However, You are indicating that your free space there was still 666mb which would still be a lot of memory though which is strange.

I have near the same amount free. I wonder if there is something that is temporarily using a lot of memory during say a sync that is using up a lot of space.

Do you have your attachments being stored there (think that is the default location)

Mail > Menu > More > Settings > General Settings:

I think you would notice it, but perhaps you have a very large attachment that is eating memory during a sync? It would make for very long pause though.

Have you turned your phone on/off?
    Last edited by krelvinaz; 05-14-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by msm_portata View Post
    I have an Exchange account with a lot of mail and folders. My Mail size is 109 MB which is understandable, but what I do not get is that in Settings => SD Card & phone storage, the internal phone storage is 6.6 GB with 6.0 GB free and the phone memory is 748 MB with 666 MB available. Why am I getting the low memory warning if I have a lot still available?
    see my original post. i am now 100% convinced that the htc mail app is the cause of this problem. after 2 full days now my k9 mail is holding steady at 7 megs, and the unused htc mail app is holding steady at 1.07 megs. with the identical setup last week (same pop3 email accts sync'd), the htc mail app was already at 86 megs after 2 days before i got the errors and had to wipe.

try this - i defy you to try to reduce that 109 meg file size. you might get it down a few megs here and there, but otherwise you're screwed. there's no way to reduce the size enough to stop the error from happening. after a day or so of the "phone storage low" error, the phone will begin to lock up regularly. after that the phone will be unusable.

please keep us posted here on what you find out

I am still waiting for my phone to arrive, but this has me a little worried.

Should I just avoid setting up my email through the HTC mail app??

Is there an alternative other than using the Gmail forwarding thing (I get so many emails that I need to be able to delete off my actual server using the imap account)??

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Send your pop emails to your gmail, your will get your emails faster and use less battery according to Verizon and you also have one inbox. The only way to clear this notice is to do a factory reset I had to do it twice before I switched to using the gmail push. So far I have not received the phone and memory low notice, but it has not been a full week yet.

Default Re: HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

I have been using the mail app for exchange mail along with k-9 for several pop accounts IMAP and gmail since I got my phone on 4/29 without ever seeing that error.

I am a heavy email user for both work and pleasure. There are few I know that get more email than I do.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by socalguy View Post
    Send your pop emails to your gmail, your will get your emails faster and use less battery according to Verizon and you also have one inbox. The only way to clear this notice is to do a factory reset I had to do it twice before I switched to using the gmail push. So far I have not received the phone and memory low notice, but it has not been a full week yet.
    yeah verizon is wrong. sending pop through gmail is slower than mail coming from a horse drawn carriage. google only polls pop accounts every hour, with no way to change it. best bet is k9. you can set it to check for email whenever you want (i have it set for every 10 minutes)

Just using the gmail account, has that made a difference? I'm getting ready to re-set my phone for a second day in a row..

My phone shows
    Internal phone storage total 6.6 gb 6.5 avail
    phone memory 748 total 700mb aval

HTC mail the issue?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My update after talking to Verizon, and then to HTC.

It looks like they, both Verizon and HTC, have no clue what the issue is with the low storage message... HTC requested that I re-set my phone and add email accounts and apps over a period of days and see when the issue comes up again. I guess that I am going to do the diagnostics. If you haven't call yet i would suggest you do so HTC can look into it themselves.

After I re-set my phone the Internal phone storage show 6.6 gb total 6.5 aval The same before I re-set the phone

Phone memory 748 total 719 aval

Set up my Google account and Google maps and the phone memory went to 748 total 711 aval

I set the camera to save pictures to the SD card
    and because I am not setting up my other email accounts I am using Google to import them.

Before I re-set my phone I have Five email accounts "installed"

Google
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    Cox
    Work(Exchange)

The Only Apps I had "Installed" after my re-set yesterday

Peep
    Google maps
    Google Skymap
    Compass - Snapic
    Barcode Scanner- ZXing Team
    ShopSavvy- Big in japan, Inc

That's all i can remember... Probably all

So to recap I only installed Google mail and Google Maps today, tomorrow I will add something else... I'm to impatient to be a scientist...

Can anyone add their findings? Suggestions?

Thanks

Chuck
    Last edited by TucsonChuck; 05-16-2010 at 08:36 PM.

I just started having this issue last night. So far it hasn't made my phone inoperable yet, just slower. I did send a service request to HTC so hopefully I hear something. If I do, I'll post it here. Anyone have any work arounds besides a factory wipe and not using HTC Mail?

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonChuck View Post
    My update after talking to Verizon, and then to HTC.

It looks like they, both Verizon and HTC, have no clue what the issue is with the low storage message... HTC requested that I re-set my phone and add email accounts and apps over a period of days and see when the issue comes up again. I guess that I am going to do the diagnostics. If you haven't call yet i would suggest you do so HTC can look into it themselves.

After I re-set my phone the Internal phone storage show 6.6 gb total 6.5 aval The same before I re-set the phone

Phone memory 748 total 719 aval

Set up my Google account and Google maps and the phone memory went to 748 total 711 aval

I set the camera to save pictures to the SD card
    and because I am not setting up my other email accounts I am using Google to import them.

Before I re-set my phone I have Five email accounts "installed"

Google
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    Cox
    Work(Exchange)

The Only Apps I had "Installed" after my re-set yesterday

Peep
    Google maps
    Google Skymap
    Compass - Snapic
    Barcode Scanner- ZXing Team
    ShopSavvy- Big in japan, Inc

That's all i can remember... Probably all

So to recap I only installed Google mail and Google Maps today, tomorrow I will add something else... I'm to impatient to be a scientist...

Can anyone add their findings? Suggestions?

Thanks

Chuck
    Let us know how ou come out at the end of the day - or the end of the next day... thanks!

Reset + 1 Day

Day after the re-set and the "Phone Memory" is holding at 711MB available. No change to the Internal phone storage. Still 6.6 Gb total/6.5Gb avail.

So I set up/added my Exchange account and there has been no change to the Phones Memory. Still holding at 711MB. If I remember correctly, when I needed to re-set the phone the memory stated 700mb available. Can anyone else confirm their readings.

Settings for my Exchange account Temp Attachment storage = SD card, Refresh mail when open = On, Mail size limit 10kb, Down load frequency = As items arrive, Include file attachment = Never. I guess if I need to see more of the email I can download it.

Using the heck out of the internet, both 3G and Wifi seems to have no effect on memory. Of the things I will not re-add is any twitter software to the phone, as I don't mind the interface on the phones web browser.

Anyone have a idea on saving bookmarks? Maybe a saved email in Google with all my favorites?

Using gmail and Google maps have not impacted the phone to much, just a 8mb drop in "Phone memory" and the Exchange account caused no change at all.

Boy this fun! It's driving me crazy not being able to install all the programs I want all at once.

Thanks,

Chuck
    Last edited by TucsonChuck; 05-17-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Update info

My phone just became unusable. Just did a factory reset via the privacy menu,

Storage info before reset:
    SD Card: total 1.84GB, available .97GB

Internal: Total 6.6GB, Available 4.95GB

Phone Memory: Total 748mb, Available 683mb

Mail application: used 126mb

Guru,

Which mail Application was that? How many?
    I'm showing Gmail 2.64mb, Mail(HTC) 1.94mb Info taken from the "Manage Applications" menu. Messages(Text?) 808kb

Thanks,

Chuck
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

i'll preemptively answer for him...$100 says its htc mail...

my question for guru is, what actions did you take to try to reduce that file size? can you detail the specific steps you took to try to reduce it?

so far i've determined the following as fact and i'll detail what i dont know:

1) significant bug/leak in htc mail app - what i don't know is what's causing it. many people use the htc app without this problem appearing. why?
    2) errors are specifically tied to the size of the htc mail app. errors begin around 110 meg app size. at around 120 megs the phone begins to lock up and reboot. at this point it's unuseable
    3) there is no way that i know of to reduce the htc mail app size significantly enough to stop the errors. deleting every shred of email and their accounts only reduces the size by ~3-5 megs. no idea why this is
    4) the only way to stop the errors is a hard reset
    5) since having the issue i have switched to k9 mail and have had zero issues. k9 file size (with the same account total) hovers between 4 and 8 megs. untouched htc mail app has not budged at 1.07 megs. this is after 5 days of use. at 5 days in using htc mail i was beginning to see the errors
    6) neither HTC nor verizon admit to any knowledge of the issue from my discussions with them
    Last edited by indianajonze; 05-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Page 1 of 15 1234 ... LastLast