Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 4G

Anyone thinking of jumping ship for the Evo 4G? It comes out only a week or week and a half after my 30 day. Very tempting...

Yeah I gotta figure out when my 30 day is. But I signed up for a family plan it's gonna be a real ***** and a half. I just don't know if it's worth it.

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

nope - sprint service sucks - not worth giving up verizon for
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Dont forget about the extra $10 a month MANDATORY

Will have to rethink this...
    Last edited by VKitty; 05-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.

verizon > sprint

it's not really that much better, if better at all than the Inc. yea it's 4G, but i don't like it's size.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I love my phone but that Evo 4G looks real nice. Gonna be a lot of contemplating over the next couple of weeks

No Way. EVO is a stunning device, but there is a reason Sprint has to practically give their service away. Plus 4G service will be limited for awhile unless you live in a major city and you have to pay for it even if you don't have it in your area. I am quite happy with my Incredible and VZW service and won't be going anywhere.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Wow! A full 4Mbps (if you're lucky) and sprints awful coverage.....no thanks

No chance! I switched from Sprint years ago and have zero plans to go back anytime soon. Not to mention, I don't have 4G coverage within 100mi from home.

I'm on Sprint with my HTC Hero, and I have to say, Sprint's service is GREAT! 3G is fast and pretty much everywhere I go. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, so we have good coverage here. But even when I've traveled in the US I've had zero issues with coverage. This includes NY, FL, GA, NV, WA.

I'm totally jealous of your Incredibles, to be sure, and yes I was tempted to get one and defect to Verizon. But I don't want to leave Sprint since I've been very happy for over 10 years now. And with the Evo on the horizon, I may not have to :-)
    Roy Aguilera

Nope, this device is a beast and I love the VZW service around my way.

I've been playing with my gf's Inc. but I'm on Sprint with a Palm Pre now so I'll be patiently waiting for the Evo. Love that big screen of the Evo.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

The mandatory $10 4G charge sucks but even factoring that, it's less than VZW plans. Can see sticking with VZW if Sprint is not in your area but if they are, Sprint is worth trying, especially since they now give a full refund on 30 day trial. Verizon is only greater than Sprint if not in a Sprint area. Otherwise there isn't really a difference... and Sprint roams essentially everywhere in US where there is CDMA.

I kicked this one around before I signed up with Verizon and got the Inc. I could have waited a few more weeks to make my decision, but made it based on Sprint's ability to deliver 4G (not anywhere close to deploying in NYC from the looks of it), and their coverage overall.

I'm taking a wait-and-see. I signed a 2 year, but that's with a pro-rated $350 ETF. I can bolt halfway through for $175. I paid $99 for the Incredible , so it'd be like having paid $275 for it for a year, not bad (especially considering the resale value of the phone halfway through).

I'd take a look a year from now and see if the reviews on Sprint's 4G network are favorable, and make the call then.

I'm going to switch.

I have had Sprint service before and their coverage in my area is excellent. I also live in a 4G area and I'm still within the 30 day trial period for the Incredible. It's a tough choice, given the fact that I absolutely love my phone and it does everything and more than I could want.

But...

...that Evo is the one I'm gonna get.

Nope have had sprint before and it totally sucked in my area and sprint is only 2 mins. Away from me but i am more than satisfied with my incredible and verizons a plus service.

Pretty much the main things the EVO has over the Incredible are...

1. Bigger screen (physically, but same resolution)

- at what point does Big become too big? I don't think I'd be able to use this one handed comfortably. And forget about fitting in my pants pocket.

2. 4G/WiMax support

- My area doesn't have Sprint's 4G/WiMax support yet, although it is reported as "Coming.."

- Sprint's 3G/EVDO/CDMA data and voice coverage is not good here. My friends who had sprint constantly experienced dropped calls and switched to other providers as soon as they could.

3. Front facing camera (for video chat)

- Will video chat work on 3G/EVDO only coverage areas? or is 3G too slow?

So no, I don't plan on switching for this phone.

Nope - not a chance in hell will I move to Sprint. I'm in Atlanta and friends who have Sprint hate it.

Yes, the Evo screen size is bigger, but if you live in an area with no hope of ever getting Sprint 4G, are there any other advantages to getting the Evo over the Incredible? Evo also has 720p video recording, right? Can you video chat if you're not in a 4G area? You still can't voice and data at the same time if you don't have 4G (unless if you wifi).
    Last edited by bobstudent3; 05-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Well, I'm still waiting on my Incredible to ship, but I don't plan on jumping ship. I decided to go with a one year contract so next summer I'll pick up whatever is best. I expect Verizon to better Android devices than the Evo at that time.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

Most people I call are on VZ so I'm staying with VZ. I find their coverage generally awesome. The bigger screen on the EVO makes it a bit large for me, personally. I like the Incredible's size.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I'm not sure about the bigger screen as well. I do like the 720p and I have 4g in my area. The plans, even with the extra $10 for 4g are not far off Verizon's. Coverage is an issue but I have a friend who is ok with it. I do love my Incredible. It will be a tough call. I have a week and a half to decide

Quote Originally Posted by danjude View Post
    Anyone thinking of jumping ship for the Evo 4G? It comes out only a week or week and a half after my 30 day. Very tempting...
    Absolutely, positively..... NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    nope - sprint service sucks - not worth giving up verizon for

i agree i even heard that sprint might not be signing with verizon again (their contract is up this year sometimes) from sources

LTE will become more available as the year progresses in VZW land... this will make you want to get an LTE based phone. VZW will have much better coverage for that than Sprint will from what I can tell. I figure you will start seeing LTE based phones near the end of the year into next year.

I don't think any of the current phones can be upgraded via firmware to LTE.

So if you are going to jump ship from the DI, most likely it will be to something with LTE in it and most likely still with VZW unless you don't like them for some other reason.

Discussion of EVO in the DI topic is a bit weird... the EVO is not even shipping yet.

As for it's "better" screen... The DI is more than adequate for me, and I have little need for higher resolution video or a larger screen.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast