802.11n Support? Yes or No?

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The online manual states that the Incredible has 802.11n support. Is this incorrect? My Incredible doesn't see my 802.11n network, which I run in the 5GHz band.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It definitely does not work with 5 GhZ 802.11n networks. However, I have been able to get it to connect to my mixed mode 8021.11 b/g/n network (cannot disable mixed mode), but I've never seen the speed reading go about 54Mbps, so I'm thinking even though it says it's compatible with 802.11n, it actually isn't.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
For the phone to take advantage of 802.11n the hardware in the phone needs to support it. So even if Android is wrote to support 802.11n your phone may not. But I would believe that every phone built after the Nexus One, at least by HTC, would have the same chipsets so I don't see where it wouldn't work all considered.

The easiest thing to do right now is change your router/AP to mixed mode. If you have an older router it will automatically change your router to the slowest supported network device, so in other words if you have 2 802.11n devices and one b it will only run at b speeds. Some newer routers will let each device run speed independent.

But you will see no speed increase in your browser with 802.11n versus 802.11g because the phones aren't fast enough to render any faster than they do now. Downloads would be faster though on binary files, but not web browsing.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Good points, Qazme. Browsing is blazing fast when it has a 54Mbps connection. Enabling N support probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I would like to get off of the 2.4GhZ frequency though.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
the only way you'd be able to get off of the 2.4ghz freq would be if the n chipset in the incredible were dual band. this is highly unlikely. most likely it's a single 2.4ghz n chipset. actually very few (just one actually) of the n devices i have (about 5) support the 5ghz freq...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah more than likely, especially to keep cost down, the 802.11n chip is these phone is more than likely the 2.4Ghz radio which is why they can update the nexus one to support b/g/n and still keep legacy support for people who don't have 802.11n pure networks. Good catch idianajonze!

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah more than likely, especially to keep cost down, the 802.11n chip is these phone is more than likely the 2.4Ghz radio which is why they can update the nexus one to support b/g/n and still keep legacy support for people who don't have 802.11n pure networks. Good catch idianajonze!

The wireless chip in the Nexus one is actually dual band (i.e. it supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). I found the part# on ifixit.com and looked it up on Broadcom's web page. Let's hope HTC used the same chip in the Incredible.

Here's a link to Broadcom's page for those anyone interested ... Broadcom BCM4329.

I did find a teardown video of the Incredible on the web, but the part# for the wireless chip is covered up. However, I can tell by the color of the ASIC that the HTC Incredible definitely has a Broadcom wireless chip in it. The packaging on the Broadcom parts tend to have a slightly blue-ish color to them which makes them easy to tell apart from other ASICs. Watch the teardown, and pause at EXACTLY 1:51. The front-most part, peeking out from under the shielding, is the wireless Broadcom part (video [youTube]).

This is what the Broadcom part looks like in the Nexus One.

Who's going to bust open their brand new Incredible so we can see what's under that shield?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'm not tearing my incredible apart, because quite frankly it doesn't really matter! But hopefully, and I'm sure they did, use the same chip!

retro77

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
FYI for those running mixed mode: If you connect a B device to an G or N network, everything drops down to B speeds. Same for G connecting to N.

captpg

May 4, 2010
Visit site
In mixed mode, does the range drop down to b or g range also?

I'm just about out of range of my wireless G router in some areas of my house where I'd like to use wifi with my Incredible. I tried moving the router; that makes reception better in some areas and worse in others. But the areas where it is worse have wireless N capable devices. So I'm thinking, will replacing the G router with N help with a greater range to the N devices? Or can I upgrade to an N router and use the existing G moved to a better location as an access point? Any resources that would help me understand how to do tha would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
In mixed mode the network will drop down to accommodate the slowest device. G will run on an N network without N device dropping speed but it depends on the network setup and what router you are using etc.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
captpg: I have the Netgear WND3700. It has 2 WiFi radios. One of them runs in mixed mode, the other is dedicated to 802.11n. I run all my N devices off of that, and everything else off of the 2nd radio that is 802.11 b/g/n compatible. For the radio running in mixed mode, what retro77 is true. If go down the path of re-architecting your WiFi network, I would encourage you to look at that device. I bought mine from Amazon.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
captpg: I have the Netgear WND3700. It has 2 WiFi radios. One of them runs in mixed mode, the other is dedicated to 802.11n. I run all my N devices off of that, and everything else off of the 2nd radio that is 802.11 b/g/n compatible. For the radio running in mixed mode, what retro77 is true. If go down the path of re-architecting your WiFi network, I would encourage you to look at that device. I bought mine from Amazon.

same setup with the same router. it's fantastic. only problem now is my incredible does not have n enabled :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance