Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice and Default SMS App

Hey everyone,

For those using Google Voice on the Incredible, is there a way to get SMS to my Verizon number to go to Google Voice instead?

I gave most people my new GV number but there are still some texting my VZW phone number.

Probably not possible, but just curious.

Global Posts
    7,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unfortunately, not going to be possible.

Keep replying to people that send to your Verizon number from your Google Voice number, and people will get the hint
    Follow Us on Twitter
    [@jareddipane]
    [@AndroidCentral]
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

LOL I figured that was the trick! Another question, there's no possible way to use the built-in Messages app for Google Voice SMS is there? I'm assuming not but it never hurts to ask, right?

I'm seriously wondering if I should cancel text message and Just do this too, I mean the people that still text our reg numbers, that will cost us 20 cents a pop? And what about mms does google support that?

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

google voice does not support mms and you can have verizon block texts (google voice sms will still come through since that uses data). but you might make your friends think that you are ignoring them though.

Quote Originally Posted by mc21 View Post
    google voice does not support mms and you can have verizon block texts (google voice sms will still come through since that uses data). but you might make your friends think that you are ignoring them though.
    you will still need your text feature to send messages out. outgoing google sms is routed through the carrier text service, not data. thats if you use the google voice app to send it. you can reply to the sms through email for free but that just gets messy.

Quote Originally Posted by spicedham View Post
    you will still need your text feature to send messages out. outgoing google sms is routed through the carrier text service, not data. thats if you use the google voice app to send it. you can reply to the sms through email for free but that just gets messy.
    Is this accurate? I thought one of the benefits of Google Voice was free text. Something's fishy here...

TJH

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Google voice uses your data connection to send and receive sms through the GV app. to your GV number. You are carrier independent. Everything is handled through an SSL connection with the google servers.
    Last edited by Qazme; 05-15-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

" Does SMS use my phones text messaging? "

Does SMS use my phones text messaging? - Google Voice Help
    Last edited by spicedham; 05-15-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

"Go into your GV account, click Settings, then below the mobile phone number, there is an "edit" box. Click that. Make sure that the box:

SMS Settings:
    Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)

is UNCHECKED"

You will need a data plan (internet) for your phone though. This way you can forward your sms txts to your email and not be charged for sms by your carrier.

Well ain't that a crappy deal. I thought GV was supposed to be "free" with a data plan. Another reason I don't want GV. Why pay for sms when you can use GTalk and it's free. lawl. Thanks for the heads up spicedham!

One thing I did notice though, if you uncheck it to send sms to your phone and use their website you won't be charged. But then they don't get delivered to your phone either. What a crappy setup, carriers should give free sms to phone plans by now.

But then after doing some more looking:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...de904ea4&hl=en

According to a guy in that thread he says his texts still showed up through GV without going through Verizon. So what's the real answer?
    Last edited by Qazme; 05-15-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mc21 View Post
    or, just reduce your texting plan to the bare minimum until others start texting you at your GV number.

i just use VZW's 500 sms/month plan. don't need their unlimited plan any more.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

OK, I have a question. Now that I have GV, I like people using my GV number to call and text me at. My GV app works fine receiving SMS messages. But I'm still receiving a text in my Messages app from the GV number telling me I have a text. I don't want messages going here as I read and respond to them through the GV app. How do I stop these texts going to my Messages app?

Do I go into GV on the web and uncheck receives SMS on this phone? I'm still unclear of what this option does...

Sorry for sounding like a noob. GV is a cool program/feature, but still a bit confusing on me where GV starts and my VZW service stops lol. Thanks so much everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanRyb View Post
    OK, I have a question. Now that I have GV, I like people using my GV number to call and text me at. My GV app works fine receiving SMS messages. But I'm still receiving a text in my Messages app from the GV number telling me I have a text. I don't want messages going here as I read and respond to them through the GV app. How do I stop these texts going to my Messages app?

Do I go into GV on the web and uncheck receives SMS on this phone? I'm still unclear of what this option does...

Sorry for sounding like a noob. GV is a cool program/feature, but still a bit confusing on me where GV starts and my VZW service stops lol. Thanks so much everyone!!
    uncheck the receive sms on this phone. you will get notified for text message only in the gv app and not the messages app.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Sweet thanks! I think now I'm gonna get rid of my $20 a mo unlimited texting with VZW, maybe do the bare minimum plan now for people who text my VZW number or MMS messages or something.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Any of you guys using Google Voice also using the SMS Popup app? I was using this with the standard messaging app and loved it (came from an iPhone, loved those popups, old habits die hard lol).

However, it doesn't seem to work with Google Voice. Based on searching it seems like it's supposed to but I can't figure it out.

Wondering if anyone out there has experience with it.