Speaker can blow itself out

KenB

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine blew. I need to get to a store to get it swapped out.

I do agree with the metal shavings. I used to have that happen all the time. I work on high performance cars and whenever I would fab something up it would get some metal in the speaker. But on this phone, it hasn't seen anything like that.

Ken

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since 4/30/2010. Listen to pandora, slacker, speaker phone, and podcasts through it at full volume all the time. Knock on wood never have had an issue with it. If anything it's not loud enough!!

Yeah I think it not being loud enough makes it sound distorted. Oddly enough, the metal around the headphone jack moves a bit and when on the speaker you can hear it vibrate a bit......

I need Vanilla ICE because in his song he said if there is a problem he would solve it :)

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I've always been nervous about overusing the speaker on any phone I've had. I listen to pandora a lot at work but I play it though external speakers I have at my desk (luckily my iPod speaker dock also had a Aux in).

aslinc

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Just put the order in for a another to be sent to me..he said there wasn't any at the dist. center so I may get a new one. Also if a new one comes it will have the new software (froyo) updated on it. Time will tell and I'll let you know.

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine blew out last week. Local store didn't have any so I called customer service and a new one should be here tomorrow. The e-mail says it will be a "Certified Like-New Replacement phone"

My main problem is that I can't even turn the ringer up or use the speaker phone because it's so distorted.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
hey guys, I have run into this problem as well. the opening on the back of the phone for the speaker is just right for attracting metal particles. i have noticed my speaker acting funny, took a small magnet to the speaker area, and pulled up fine metal.
Just something to try before going back to store for 4th time

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear it.

Did the speakers show signs of a problem before they failed? Did you use a lot of high volume?

The sound started getting scratchy a couple of days ago. It wasn't too bad at first, but is now a steady distortion when any sound plays through the speaker at any volume. The internal ear speaker is still okay, and there is no problem playing music through the headphone jack. There may have been another sign earlier on, but I'm not sure if this is related: I noticed a couple of weeks ago a slight crackling sound right after turning the phone on (directly after the vibrate notification on the HTC screen).

I've had the phone since 5/1. No issues up until now. I keep the sound volume a couple clicks below max.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am getting my 3rd Incredible this week because of the speaker. I think the real problem is that metal shavings are getting in the speaker and causing it to sound tinny. Trying to remove the metal shaving or blowing it with air only makes it worse.

The speaker has a strong(small) mangent, do you work with screws or something else in your pockets?

logodude

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I doubt this problem will go away. I am on my 3rd one. Some people are lucky and they don't have any problems. But me its a different story. Try to keep metal shavings away from the speaker too. I think the speaker isn't protected good enough.

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Received my replacement phone today, so no more distorted sound through the external speaker. Overall volume on this phone is much lower than my original phone... maybe an under the rug fix for this problem?

Anyway... the 'like new' phone appears to be in good shape. It updated to 2.2 about 20 minutes after putting the battery in. It seems snappier than my other phone, but maybe that's just a false perception thing. Word of advice for anybody who has to return their phone for any reason... Format your internal phone storage beforehand. The previous owner left me several mp3s and photos. Tis a shame their taste in music sucks. I'm surprised that Verizon didn't clear this stuff out before sending to somebody else.

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
my second phone just blew out the speaker :mad::mad: thats the exact same reason why im on my second phone to begin with.... this one lasted two months :( also the verizon rep did say that its an ongoing problem with the dInc and HTC is aware of the problem and workin on it ...... :confused: workin on it? he said hopefully a software update will fix it....... really? rofl i dont see how a software update can fix a hardware problem but ok. maybe its being pushed to many amps..?

Last edited:

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hey guys, I have run into this problem as well. the opening on the back of the phone for the speaker is just right for attracting metal particles. i have noticed my speaker acting funny, took a small magnet to the speaker area, and pulled up fine metal.
Holy crap!?! I just tried this magnet trick and it freaking worked! I just cancelled my replacement order. So happy right now :)

ncm416

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine just went out again. It was my third one. All the same problem, and I am getting sick of it. What are my chances of arguing my way into a Droid X?

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
did you read my post above yours? idk if yours is seriously blown or not but its been two weeks and mine sounds perfect again :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781