Incredible sells 100k in 2 days

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Pretty Impressive... Any bets on how well the Evo Does?!?

If the Incredible would of came out with the big screen I would of been all over that...
Only thing that stopped me was that...

The Evo will have some built in restraints because it is on Sprint and many people don't want anything to do with Sprint.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Pretty Impressive... Any bets on how well the Evo Does?!?

If the Incredible would of came out with the big screen I would of been all over that...
Only thing that stopped me was that...

It should do fairly well. Sprint isn't bad and there are a lot of people I know that are switching to Sprint for the Evo. Doesn't really matter to me, I just want to see Android do well.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
The Evo will have some built in restraints because it is on Sprint and many people don't want anything to do with Sprint.

And many people don't want anything to do with overpriced gestapo VZW - 48 million Sprint users a good chunk of 80m ATT users and 30m T-mobile users and Pre-paid users and and and...

A good chunk will be Sprint Pre users jumping to Evo if Palm doesn't announce a new phone by then.

With Incredible supplies short, some VZW user might make the jump to Sprint if Sprint has good coverage in their area. Believe it or not, Sprint actually works for many people. I know, hard to accept that. I just can't be possible, can it.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Right, but to have component shortages, that means you probably ordered less components than you should have IMO

Not necessarily - it's a problem that a lot of technology markets are facing currently. I am a buyer for a technology company - some components right now have six to nine month lead times.

Part of it is due to the down turn in the economy, and many Asian manufacturers cut back on their shifts and their staff dramatically. Many employees went home for Chinese New Year and didn't come back, they didn't have a job to come back to.

It's much easier to shut things down over there, than it is to ramp back up and get back to 100% production - it's now an employee's market, and employers are having a hard time getting back to full staff.

This is what we're seeing with some components, and it's the same across many different component manufacturers.

They certainly didn't expect demand to rise so quickly and so dramatically. On top of that - ocean freighters dramatically cut back on their fleets, and importers are battling to get their containers on the limited number of ships available, also increasing lead times.

We're doing so well, we're facing inventory turns of 3 to 4 weeks right now - we can't get inventory in quickly enough to meet demand. We've been instructed to bring all inventory in at least a month earlier to demand when we can - and to buy out to December 2010 at the very minimum.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I jumped in to get one the day of launch and the main store in my area had 2 left in stock by 12pm, one was being sold while I waited the other was mine ;)

Kainz15

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily - it's a problem that a lot of technology markets are facing currently. I am a buyer for a technology company - some components right now have six to nine month lead times.

Part of it is due to the down turn in the economy, and many Asian manufacturers cut back on their shifts and their staff dramatically. Many employees went home for Chinese New Year and didn't come back, they didn't have a job to come back to.

It's much easier to shut things down over there, than it is to ramp back up and get back to 100% production - it's now an employee's market, and employers are having a hard time getting back to full staff.

This is what we're seeing with some components, and it's the same across many different component manufacturers.

They certainly didn't expect demand to rise so quickly and so dramatically. On top of that - ocean freighters dramatically cut back on their fleets, and importers are battling to get their containers on the limited number of ships available, also increasing lead times.

We're doing so well, we're facing inventory turns of 3 to 4 weeks right now - we can't get inventory in quickly enough to meet demand. We've been instructed to bring all inventory in at least a month earlier to demand when we can - and to buy out to December 2010 at the very minimum.
Ah..that makes more sense. Thanks for the input -- always welcome to be shown the error of my ways :) haha. It's easy for us impatient phone whores to not look at all the sides equally. Thanks again!!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Evo will sell really well at first but by Christmas it will be old news and they will have to practically give them away just like the their first "savior phone" the Pre last year.

The "Sprint Factor" is bigger than a lot of people realize. Defenders bring up the monthly cost (fair enough) and the roaming on Verizon which is basically worthless with a smartphone, since as I understand it the roaming is only for voice, and especially with a WiMax device since Verizon is going LTE and Wimax is still only in a handful of cities. Their customer service -- while reportedly better, again by the Defenders -- still leaves a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
.... if Sprint has good coverage in their area. Believe it or not, Sprint actually works for many people. I know, hard to accept that. I just can't be possible, can it.

Oh it's possible I know it is at least half the people I know have Sprint (excellent VZW, Sprint, and ATT service here though we got ATT 3G only about 3 months ago), but they also have the highest churn in the industry and their prepaid business (Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc.) are what are keeping them afloat.

Power users don't stay on Sprint because of their data network and the fact that they only have one good phone at a time. Last year it was the Pre and now it's about to be the Incredible. A good amount of the people I know who are on Sprint are seriously considering going to a prepaid option unless they have a smartphone.

I have noting against Sprint. I've never used them (and probably never will) but they need to do something if they want to recover from this downward spiral they are on. Being cheap and marketing the crap out of ONE phone a year does not cut it. They need a new powerhouse handset every 6 months minimum (and several middle tiers handsets spread throughout the year) and they need to stop relying on roaming.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You can argue phone, company, pricing, customer service, network speeds, reliability all that jazz. The bottom line is if you are a customer of a service you are happy with and it meets or exceeds your needs that's the company you need to be with. It doesn't mean it's the best company for everyone. I know a lot of happy AT&T users, but I would never use them again, not because of their coverage or their pricing but because of my experience with them and your mileage may vary. I know too many people who jumped ship from various providers just so they could get an iPhone. And while they love their iPhone and what it can do all they do is complain about the amount of dropped calls they have. Not smart in my opinion I would rather have a not so popular phone with excellent service, which I think most of us can agree on.

Speaking about the WiMAX "4G" it should give incredible speeds to the people who will actually benefit on their city list, and as the network grows so will the people on Sprint who actually get to use it. However I can't wait for Verizon to start offering their LTE "4G" which supposedly is what some CEO's think 80% of the cell network will end up being. Meaning the carriers that use it have a higher probabilty of having larger coverage as I'm sure network deals will be made to hand off to another carriers tower instead of roaming with no data coverage. I think in the coming years most carriers will be pretty much equal as deals are made and networks get rolled out. Think about how bad your service was just 5 years ago versus today!

The advantage to WiMAX is it's an open standard making the equipment cheaper on the customer and service providers end possibly making the phones and or service cheaper in the long run. But then you start falling back into the "who has the best network", "less dropped calls", "faster speeds", "cheaper bills", "I pay for the network" arguments.

In my opinion the phone does not sell me on the provider I choose, neither does the price of my plan or the speed of the internet on that provider. The coverage of the provider, and my experience with them is what sells me. In your area Sprint may offer the best coverage, in another it may be AT&T, in my area it's Verizon. Being able to make a phone call far out weighs anything else my provider can offer.

If everyone carried the same phones and had the same coverage that's when you could start arguing prices and customer service. This site is a pretty good indicator of how good the coverage is in your area, obviously the content can't be completely trusted as cell providers add new tower and better tech, but over all give a good impression of how things are different from area to area.

Cellular Coverage Maps of Wireless Carriers

I think everyone should be happy there are people out there that use different networks, and that different networks carry different phones it breeds innovation and competitive spirit. That's what give us these new network like WiMAX and LTE and give us such incredible phones from HTC, Motorola, Apple and all the other players. This is just the beginning of the game, I would just like to see all the cell companies come to an open adoption of service and have no more CDMA versus GSM etc. I think they should create a new cell standard where you can carry your phone to any provider. That way the only debate would end up being who has the cheapest price on the phone I like and who has given me the best experience!

Last edited:

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@qazme

excellent post. what alot of people ignore is that not every carrier is strong everywhere. there are probably some places where AT&T just destroys Verizon in coverage/speed. For me personally, I have always had good signal with Verizon in my area and thus have felt no need to switch.

As to your argument for "all the cell companies come to an open adoption of service and have no more CDMA versus GSM etc.", don't forget that CDMA is really only used by Verizon and Sprint, most of the world and all of Europe use GSM. AT&T and Verizon are both going to LTE, which is set to become the new global standard like GSM is now. So, while you may have issues with TMO and Sprint, within a year or 2 the 2 biggest carriers in the US will be on LTE as will the rest of the world.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I totally know what you are saying, but in Europe if I'm not mistaken is a different band of GSM so even that isn't on the same "Standard". It would be nice to just have a universal adoption of a standard like companies do with the web. So maybe with time they all can kiss and give us all what we want, great coverage and speeds everywhere! Is LTE going to cover both talk and data? I thought it was just going to be data.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the issues with having every carrier in every country using the same thing is spectrum. Each country has its own regulatory body (US has the FCC) that hands out wireless spectrum to carriers and other companies. When they dont match up exactly, which I think is the case between US and Europe's GSM networks, you can run into some issues. Hopefully LTE can address some of these issues. And as far as I know, yes, LTE will cover both talk and data and should allow both at the same time (anyone sure of this?)