Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitch R.
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Default General questions in regards to android

So I've had my incredible for a week now, I read through the faq and the tips and tricks thread, but I need to clear some stuff up.

With android, is there a way to close out of an app and not have it run in the background? I've got Advanced Task Killer, but, again is there a way to just close out of an app?

Is there a way to restore, or wipe the device so that its like new? I feel like mine is kinda slow and I want to try wiping and starting over.

Any specific apps I should download?

1) no
    2) Settings---Privacy---Factory data reset
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

To wipe your phone go to settings>privacy> then factory reset.

With the Android phone its best to let the phone close programs as needed and manage your memory. The Advanced Task Killer maybe slowing your phone down try doing a search on task killers and read what others have said about using it my phone runs much better without it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

alright Ill look into to that, thanks

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I don't have an issue with the phone managing the memory and closing apps as needed, but I do mind the available memory dropping rapidly, unless I am missing something (new to Android) but it seems like the 748MB of memory what I think it is.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I don't have an issue with the phone managing the memory and closing apps as needed, but I do mind the available memory dropping rapidly, unless I am missing something (new to Android) but it seems like the 748MB of memory what I think it is.
    Running Apps are in your 512 ROM. The 748 is the RAM (OS and Apps). If that is dropping fast it's because you have too much stuff installed OR you need to clean out the cache's of your apps.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

I've has no problems with using advanced task manager to close apps. I don't keep it running in the background and I launch it when needed, tap end all (which includes the atm app itself).
    almath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Running Apps are in your 512 ROM. The 748 is the RAM (OS and Apps). If that is dropping fast it's because you have too much stuff installed OR you need to clean out the cache's of your apps.
    I thought the RAM and ROM numbers were the other way around on inc. Also, I thought programs run on RAM, and are stored on ROM(as it it's the phones 'hard-drive')?
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
    I thought the RAM and ROM numbers were the other way around on inc. Also, I thought programs run on RAM, and are stored on ROM(as it it's the phones 'hard-drive')?
    That's what I said. Installed apps are installed in ROM (along with the OS) -- yes kinda like a hard drive except it is flash memory, no moving parts -- and when they are running they run in RAM, and no it is 512 RAM and 748 ROM.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    That's what I said. Installed apps are installed in ROM (along with the OS) -- yes kinda like a hard drive except it is flash memory, no moving parts -- and when they are running they run in RAM, and no it is 512 RAM and 748 ROM.
    That's correct.

512Mb Ram
    748Mb ROM
    6.6GB Internal Memory

The ROM is shared with the internal memory and after partitioning and formatting you only end up with 6.6GB instead of 8GB.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

coniche whaa

Default Re: General questions in regards to android

Quote Originally Posted by mitch r. View Post
    i've has no problems with using advanced task manager to close apps. I don't keep it running in the background and i launch it when needed, tap end all (which includes the atm app itself).
    edit: I don't know how this posted in this thread but it's not for this one and it wasn't for this topic.