verizon dinc replacement showing s-off

jmjrecj

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I get my replacement from Verizon, and from reading on these threads, I looked on hboot to find that it show s-off. So I downloaded Rom manager and it cannot find superuser file. I thought with it being s-off that it was rooted. Any thoughts please.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an expert here, but s-off doesn't exactly mean it's rooted. I believe it's telling you that the phone was rooted before, but if it's running a non rooted version of Gingerbread, than having s-off is essential to being able to get the phone re-rooted. I can't point you to where I read it, but if it's truly s-off, I think you can downgrade back to froyo, root it, and then install a custom Rom with Gingerbread (or the rooted stock version).

If I find where I read this I will post it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can answer.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Correct - merely having s-off does not mean you're rooted. It merely means bootloader security has been turned off, allowing you to flash non-official software. To be rooted, you need to have superuser installed, among other things. If you want to root, you first need to see if the phone is on Froyo or GB, and then proceed from there.

Reactions: jmjrecj

jmjrecj

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys very much, that helps tremendously. I am running Froyo, does that mean that i can follow the standard procedure to root??? Having s-off should not effect that, right?? i have been reading alot on these forums and i think i am ready to root.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy. Once you go root, uh. well there is not clever part but you won't go back :)

ibowtoandroid, doesn't unrevoked3 give the Dinc s-off automatically? I know other phones you have to do unrevoked, and then unrevoked forever. I only used unrevoked 3 way back in the day, and it gave me S-off.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy. Once you go root, uh. well there is not clever part but you won't go back :)

ibowtoandroid, doesn't unrevoked3 give the Dinc s-off automatically? I know other phones you have to do unrevoked, and then unrevoked forever. I only used unrevoked 3 way back in the day, and it gave me S-off.

Now they have them combined. Back when I first did it for the first time, Unrevoked 3 is what rooted it and Unrevoked forever is what unlocked the bootloader. But at some point, they were integrated - mine stopped charging recently so I had to take it back to stock to get a replacement and Unrevoked 3 did both steps when I rooted the replacement.

jmjrecj

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
thank you greatly, i have followed the steps and now am rooted. i downloaded cm7, and it looks amazing. i cant wait to find out what all i am able to do now. One question, how do i sync my gmail contacts, and how do i access app market? i realize these questions problay are addressed in the forums, but i have not found the answer. I really apprecieate your help.

thanks a million....

update; i wiped device again and reloaded. this time i started with the sign in page for google, i did not get that the first time. (not sure) i am now setting it up. AWESOME

Last edited:

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
thank you greatly, i have followed the steps and now am rooted. i downloaded cm7, and it looks amazing. i cant wait to find out what all i am able to do now. One question, how do i sync my gmail contacts, and how do i access app market? i realize these questions problay are addressed in the forums, but i have not found the answer. I really apprecieate your help.

thanks a million....

update; i wiped device again and reloaded. this time i started with the sign in page for google, i did not get that the first time. (not sure) i am now setting it up. AWESOME

With an AOSP Rom like CM7, the google apps like the market, gmail, etc, have to be loaded separately. I think it has to do with legality that CM7 cannot put them it for you directly. If you have the paid version of Rom Manager (which I recommend if you are going to use CM7, this way you can update through Rom manager when future versions are released) you also need to download the gapps.zip file. This will have the market for you. Just a note, when flashing other Roms, always do the wipe cache and factory reset in Recovery. You can do it through Rom manager but occasionally it has caused an issue for me. Also, while in recovery, back up your current setup BEFORE wiping if you ever want to go back to it. Once you wipe, well you've erased what you currently have.

I find that incredikernel works very well with CM7 and gives good battery life. You can flash a kernel through recovery just like flashing a rom. You just need to make sure you use an AOSP kernel for AOSP roms, and a Sense Kernel with Sense Roms.

jmjrecj

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
With an AOSP Rom like CM7, the google apps like the market, gmail, etc, have to be loaded separately. I think it has to do with legality that CM7 cannot put them it for you directly. If you have the paid version of Rom Manager (which I recommend if you are going to use CM7, this way you can update through Rom manager when future versions are released) you also need to download the gapps.zip file. This will have the market for you. Just a note, when flashing other Roms, always do the wipe cache and factory reset in Recovery. You can do it through Rom manager but occasionally it has caused an issue for me. Also, while in recovery, back up your current setup BEFORE wiping if you ever want to go back to it. Once you wipe, well you've erased what you currently have.

I find that incredikernel works very well with CM7 and gives good battery life. You can flash a kernel through recovery just like flashing a rom. You just need to make sure you use an AOSP kernel for AOSP roms, and a Sense Kernel with Sense Roms.

thank you 318sugarhill, that explains a lot for me. i am having a blast discovering what all this baby can do for me now. just one question; which version of incredikernel would you suggest? i began the search, and have found different version numbers and i dont want to do anything stupid and end up with a brick. if you could help me understand a bit more on what the numbers mean, would be greatly apprecieated.

again, many thanks. i am rocking cm7.1 and enjoying every minute of discovery.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There should be dates listed on the incredikernel site as to when they were released. I'm using 08152011. The number is the date he created it. I would try to the 10/08/2011 kernel. Make sure it's the incredikernel and not gingertiny. Gingertiny is for a Gingerbread Sense Rom.

I am currently running CM7 with incredikernel and Launcher Pro as my launcher. It can be downloaded from the market for free. I like it better than ADW launcher that comes with CM7