Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Interesting find on HTC incredible

So i was playing around with my HTC Incredible with the back cover off trying to boost my signal in my basement (i have 1 bar, ~ -88 dBm).

When i noticed a small round rubber cap right below the battery on the right side. the cap comes out very easily with a small flat head screwdriver, and it reveals some sort of port. Right away i noticed this port looks the same as on a laptop wifi card. Where the antenna wires snap onto the wifi card.

I wonder if this can be used to attach an antenna to improve wireless signal on these phones?

Here is a pic of where to look.

*EDIT* Here is what i believe will attach to this port.

Last edited by threepio; 05-18-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Galaxy Nexus -Unlocked/Rooted- Stock Rom
    HTC Incredible. Unrevoked Forever. CM7

ROM
    Stock 2.2

88db isn't that bad...... but messing with wires in the phone makes me uneasy.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

Could be! Isn't there a schematic of the Incredible that could explain what it is?

If so, perhaps someone could build an extended battery and new back pack WITH an antenna.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bbfunnyman View Post
    88db isn't that bad...... but messing with wires in the phone makes me uneasy.
    I know its not terrible. I get all my texts, emails and phone calls fine in my basement, but if there was a way to boost the signal a bit. I would do it.

ROM
    Stock 2.2

Have at it! Good luck.

How sure are you that it is not the WiFi connector? Looks a lot like a port you would find on laptop WiFi cards, but it is not like I know what cdma antenna looks like.

I have no problems with signal down to -100db....I wouldn't worry about it. And that port, most smartphones I have had have it. I had noticed it when I put the battery in on release day, and didn't think anything about it cause its pretty common...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I pulled the wifi card on my laptop to compare the ports. They are basically the same size. but the laptop wifi has a ...nipple in the middle of it. and the one on the incredible has a funneled design to it. Im gonna go to radio shack tomorrow and pick up some connectors that i think would fit and see what happens.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

double post.
    bss

cool thread, keep us posted with your results!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Ive narrowed the port down to either an MCX or an MMCX.

from what i find on these ports...MCX is used in the united states. MMCX is used elsewhere. the wireless card i pulled from my laptop is an ASUS which is sold everywhere in the world so im guessing its an MMCX. so maybe the INC's is an MCX which is why it looks different.

But i guess i wont know until i play around tomorrow.

Cool. Keep us posted...

I like the idea of extended battery/antenna pack.
    bss

Any progress?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

went to Radio Shack today to see if i could get the connector. No luck. I think im gonna have to order it online.

Im gonna order one, so itll be a few days before i can get any results.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

The MOTO Droid has the same port if I recall what is said it is used for testing purposes. Possible u could add a external ant. But u would look retarded with a cable hanging outa of your Droid.if you want to boost reception there are companies that offer signal enhancements

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The MOTO Droid has the same port if I recall what is said it is used for testing purposes. Possible u could add a external ant. But u would look retarded with a cable hanging outa of your Droid.if you want to boost reception there are companies that offer signal enhancements
    Not without an antenna they don't.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com//ListProducts.php?Type=12
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

And VZW has a wireless booster for your house.

That's boosting broadcast, not reception.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    And VZW has a wireless booster for your house.

Not to hijack the thread....while pricey....that thing works very well, at least on my Storm. Still waiting (sigh) for the Inc.

I have a place in the Blue Ridge mountains as a vacation home. That's why I have to stick with Verizon no matter what. Nobody else has decent coverage up there. Anyway, in the house, without the extender...I'd have to go out to the deck to get any reception and even then it was spotty. I can live with that in the summer. Uh, winter at 20 degrees...no thanks.

Just place the Extender in a window where it can lock GPS (required) and coverage is excellent throughout the house and a fair distance outside.

Both antenna issues discussed are very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Okay, sorry everybody, i been a bit busy with some other things. But i just got around to posting on HTC's website forums to see what this port is, and also i just got off the phone with HTC and the guy told me he thinks the port IS in fact for an external antenna to be added. And the technical name for the port is an FME.

Ive never heard of that, so im gonna do some research right meow.

Be back later with research results. And then if i find out what i need im gonna buy an external antenna that i can fashion to this device. And hopefully be able to hide it beneath the battery cover backplate.

This is really exciting... and as it's been pointed out already, this is a GREAT opportunity for product development... anyone who has the resources to pump out a few batteries and battery covers that have room for the antenna could be making some decent $$...

Keep us posted, definitely checking in here a good bit, excited to hear what ya say!

-100 dbm damm I would kill for 88

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

From the information you have given, an FME adapter typically hooks to an external antenna. They sell them for Motorola and Blackberry devices etc. Can't find anything on HTC so far, would be interesting but I don't see someone taking their back off their phone every time the need it to connect it, and I also don't see someone leaving it connected. Would be good if your phone stayed in the same spot however.

The battery + Antenna idea would be a cool idea for someone to make, would probably sell good to the people with bad reception.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast