Interesting find on HTC incredible

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So i was playing around with my HTC Incredible with the back cover off trying to boost my signal in my basement (i have 1 bar, ~ -88 dBm).

When i noticed a small round rubber cap right below the battery on the right side. the cap comes out very easily with a small flat head screwdriver, and it reveals some sort of port. Right away i noticed this port looks the same as on a laptop wifi card. Where the antenna wires snap onto the wifi card.

I wonder if this can be used to attach an antenna to improve wireless signal on these phones?

Here is a pic of where to look.

4544394334_312351a152.jpg

*EDIT* Here is what i believe will attach to this port.

ibmattena2.jpg

Last edited:

bbfunnyman

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Have at it! Good luck.

How sure are you that it is not the WiFi connector? Looks a lot like a port you would find on laptop WiFi cards, but it is not like I know what cdma antenna looks like.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have no problems with signal down to -100db....I wouldn't worry about it. And that port, most smartphones I have had have it. I had noticed it when I put the battery in on release day, and didn't think anything about it cause its pretty common...

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I pulled the wifi card on my laptop to compare the ports. They are basically the same size. but the laptop wifi has a ...nipple in the middle of it. and the one on the incredible has a funneled design to it. Im gonna go to radio shack tomorrow and pick up some connectors that i think would fit and see what happens.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Ive narrowed the port down to either an MCX or an MMCX.

from what i find on these ports...MCX is used in the united states. MMCX is used elsewhere. the wireless card i pulled from my laptop is an ASUS which is sold everywhere in the world so im guessing its an MMCX. so maybe the INC's is an MCX which is why it looks different.

But i guess i wont know until i play around tomorrow.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
went to Radio Shack today to see if i could get the connector. No luck. I think im gonna have to order it online.

Im gonna order one, so itll be a few days before i can get any results.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The MOTO Droid has the same port if I recall what is said it is used for testing purposes. Possible u could add a external ant. But u would look retarded with a cable hanging outa of your Droid.if you want to boost reception there are companies that offer signal enhancements

heavensblade23

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The MOTO Droid has the same port if I recall what is said it is used for testing purposes. Possible u could add a external ant. But u would look retarded with a cable hanging outa of your Droid.if you want to boost reception there are companies that offer signal enhancements

Not without an antenna they don't.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
And VZW has a wireless booster for your house.

Enter your location

Not to hijack the thread....while pricey....that thing works very well, at least on my Storm. Still waiting (sigh) for the Inc.

I have a place in the Blue Ridge mountains as a vacation home. That's why I have to stick with Verizon no matter what. Nobody else has decent coverage up there. Anyway, in the house, without the extender...I'd have to go out to the deck to get any reception and even then it was spotty. I can live with that in the summer. Uh, winter at 20 degrees...no thanks.

Just place the Extender in a window where it can lock GPS (required) and coverage is excellent throughout the house and a fair distance outside.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11