Emailing HTC regarding Inadequate Battery

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been using one of those 1500 mAh batteries. I got it off E Bay for $10. I thought it was new, but I think I misread the ad and it is used. Anyhoo, I can take it off charger, showing 100% charge and within minutes it is down into mid 90's. If I stay at home and use wifi, it will hold its charge well.... it has currently been off the charger for 2h 15m 38s and is setting at 94%. If I turn off wifi it drops to 80% rapidly but then seems to slow down on its drop.

The oem 1300 battery would not make it 6 hours and was dead. As soon as I get the extra cash, I will get one of those Seidio 1750 batteries and call it quits...

I do applaud the effort to contact HTC and VZW but I doubt they even care.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt, especially with the phone being usable, they are going to replace every battery in every phone they have produced with a higher capacity battery. It would cost millions of dollars.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That site drives me nuts, don't take that site as gospel. Taking a test sample of just 1 or two of the same battery is hardly a good test sample. Many times he just tested one battery from each group. I hardly think that site hold water, well maybe hold a bit but it's leaking like a crab both in the northern pacific.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt, especially with the phone being usable, they are going to replace every battery in every phone they have produced with a higher capacity battery. It would cost millions of dollars.

Of course not, they just need to get an officially supported (OEM) extended life battery. I'll gladly pay a fair price for one if it really helps. Right now I'm swapping between two batteries.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You should see how some of these "extended" batteries actually fared during real testing of them. The rated capacity of many of them don't provide real values. In many cases, you are better off with the original battery.

BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

I've actually gotten slightly better battery life out of the one I got off of ebay (an OEM Droid Eris battery 1300 mAh) than the original red one.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They have an OEM extended coming out. I opted to get the Seidio 1750, which has had good reviews from several people.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
They have an OEM extended coming out. I opted to get the Seidio 1750, which has had good reviews from several people.

I know. I've read about it. Supposedly 2200 mAh and will require a replacement back. I prefer to use OEM accessories whenever possible because if something happens there is no issue with who is at fault, I can see them not honoring a warranty if they find out I am not using an OEM battery.

My point was that they should have had the regular OEM or an extended life one available at launch.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I agree would be nice if Verizon would have had the 2150 available already, or if Seidio had the 3500, but the 1750 is an awesome solution. As far as an after market battery dropping your warranty I highly doubt that or they wouldn't sell none OEM battery's in the store and they do. If that was the case adding a screen protector or something of that nature would void the warranty also I would suppose, not sure how it effects the factory warranty, but I don't see where it would void that one either.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
My point was that they should have had the regular OEM or an extended life one available at launch.

Sure. You hold back 100k-150k worth of unit sales because you don't have extended batteries available yet? A peripheral that MOST won't want or need?

You need to take a marketing class.

Fact is there were thousands of users chomping at the bit to get this phone and didn't care if there were any peripherals available for it yet. They don't care. They just wanted the phone. They still want the phone. They can't make them fast enough due to parts issues.

If HTC could have had all the peripherals available at launch in time, don't you think they would have done that?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well it is certainly the 3G signal or usage that is killing the battery. mine has been off the charger for four hours and still setting at 100%. I am using wifi over network. Now i have not been hammering the phone, it has been setting mostly while i napped....very sick today. But i can tell you if the phone had been setting but set to use 3G instead of wifi it would be waaay down by now.

Also, I charged it to full with phone turned off then took ot offf charger.

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Got a courtesy call from VZW today regarding my latest email. The rep double checked that I had troubleshot everything I could. Confirmed with them that I did indeed run through all the checks to ensure maximum battery life, and reassured her that both my and my girl's phones were having the same poor battery life. We both checked our settings, and pretty much got things down to near minimal, but acceptable, settings for radios/screen/updates/etc. We've even deactivated any social networking programs from having accounts to even refresh. Still, we've had roughly 12 hours of uptime before being warned the battery is low (14%).

The rep indicated this problem has been reported, so it's on their radar. To ensure that HTC is also on the same page, she told me she was going to forward my message to them. The only thing she said I could do now was to wait for the extended battery (which isn't in stock yet), or to hope that a software update would resolve the issue. She wasn't an engineer, and she didn't know what VZW was planning to do on the battery issue. All she knew was that VZW is aware of the situation and is looking into other fixes beyond the extended battery.

Whether or not they're blowing smoke up my ass, that's not important to me. We all know more than most employees who answer phones and write the emails at VZW. It's just a matter of enough of them hearing from us to make it a matter of importance to them. I feel better about the battery issue. 12 hours a day isn't the greatest, but this phone call made me feel better about the big company doing something to ensure customer satisfaction.

Plus, I have a 1500mah TP2 battery, desktop charger, and a Seidio 1700mah coming to hold us over till a software update or 2150 battery comes.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the 3g will eat the battery pretty good. What you have to look for is any apps that seem to constantly poll the internet and activate the 3g signal. Took me awhile but I narrowed some issues down to one app...chess.com, that was doing this and eating my battery.

It still ate through it somewhat while connected to wifi, but not at all like it was when no wifi was available. I liked using the app and how it functioned, but too much of a battery hog.

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I feel for you guys here, my number one concern before buying this phone was the fear of innadequate battery life, but I have to say, it has the best battery life of any phone I've owned with the 1750 Seido battery. Just suck it up and buy the battery. I can easily get 1.5-2 days of use with heavy use, GPS/WIFI/3G always on. It's amazing, but I hope you guys get your battery situations figured out.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah got mine in today, hoping for a noticeable increase in battery life! I doubt I'll get over 14 hours with it under my usage, but I'm hoping for a nice surprise in battery life!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae