Only getting Plain Text email

MushroomStamp

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Mail is setup to sync with Exchange. In the settings>Send & Receive> Message format is greyed out and has "plain Text" selected. How can I change this so I get regular HTML email? :confused:

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the path you've listed for the settings, but to get to that section for me is:

Settings > Accounts & Sync > Exchange ActiveSync > Account Settings > Message Format

Be sure your Mail size limit is set to Entire Mail as well.

MushroomStamp

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I was accessing it via settings while in the mail app. I did go to your path from home screen, however, Message Format is still greyed out and I can't change anything. All other settings can be changed though.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be it's a security setting on the Exchange server that's pushed to your phone via ActiveSync.

I could be completely wrong, however. I'm not an Exchange administrator

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
A quick Google search turned up this: Security Policies for Windows Mobile 5.0 and Windows Mobile 6

It looks like it only applies to Window Mobile devices, but I was under the impression that Google's ActiveSync is an emulation of WinMo's ActiveSync.

Near the bottom of the page:

Allow or deny HTML messages. (4136)
Default Setting: allow
Default Role: Manager

4136 is the Policy ID, and this section only applies to WinMo 6.

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

edit:

Found this as well. Search the page for "4136"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb416355.aspx

Last edited:

kpr916

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Solution

Hello MushroomStamp - did you figure this out? I would love to know the solution as I am having the same problem. Thanks!

Pooz

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Are you running Exchange 2003? From what I've seen with third party email apps, HTML email support is only with Exchange 2007 and newer.

JoePete

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Mail is setup to sync with Exchange. In the settings>Send & Receive> Message format is greyed out and has "plain Text" selected. How can I change this so I get regular HTML email? :confused:

I only wish I could get plain text email on my android. HTML email is probably the single greatest security threat out there. Not just the malware that can be delivered via HTML content, but the automatic feedback it provides spammers (such as that it is a deliverable address) is a nightmare. Consider it a blessing I say.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If you are running Exchange 2003 then HTML messages cannot be sent or received through Activesync. I am an Exchange expert and at work we use Exchange 2003 but my home server is Exchange 2010. I removed my work account and added my home and I get HTML. I don't care who you know or what they say, you cannot get HTML mail on Exchange 2003.