Soo gingerbread..?

abc1234

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Sooo i got gingerbread on my old dinc but unfortuanetly that got stolen. Asurion sent me a new dinc but it came with 2.2. Is their anyway I can get it pushed to me? I Checked system updates but no hope their. Anyway other then installing it manually? Not to good with the tech stuff.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard, people were having problems with the update that they pushed out so they canned it. Now I guess you have to either wait for another update or flash something manually.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Sooo i got gingerbread on my old dinc but unfortuanetly that got stolen. Asurion sent me a new dinc but it came with 2.2. Is their anyway I can get it pushed to me? I Checked system updates but no hope their. Anyway other then installing it manually? Not to good with the tech stuff.

Root it with Unrevoked Forever, then flash the Gingerbread ROM of your choice. You could even just flash the rooted and debloated version if you wanted to keep it as close to stock as possible.

It really is very easy. Unrevoked is a one click (ok maybe two or three actual clicks) method to root and couldn't be easier.

Flashing a ROM is a bit more involved but honestly if you can follow the directions, with pictures included most times, it's a breeze. I'm no where close to being a tech-guy but I've flashed more ROMs than I can count.

It really is very easy to do. Otherwise you might as well wait for the Haley's comet to come back before GB gets pushed out again:p

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the OTA update as well but I currently have a rooted dinc running skyraider 4.0 ROM. I didn't think I would get the OTA update because I'm running a different ROM and im rooted. Should I have received it?

I haven't downloaded it or anything. I really like the ROM i'm currently using so I havent been to XDA to check out any of the others updated ROMs with gingerbread that I could install.

So if I want the check out gingerbread my best bet is to get it from XDA and not from the OTA, correct?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the OTA update as well but I currently have a rooted dinc running skyraider 4.0 ROM. I didn't think I would get the OTA update because I'm running a different ROM and im rooted. Should I have received it?

No. And in the off chance you do do NOT accept it or it will completely screw up your phone.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
How do I get rid of the system update notice so it doesn't get installed accidentally?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Well Wanda I guess Halley's comet has just flown by because I just got an OTA Gingerbread update from Big Red for my DINC!!!

Will miracle's never cease! Just to be clear, I never said it wouldn't come, I just wasn't too optimistic about it...I've been proven wrong if it is pushing out...again...for the third time.

I haven't downloaded it or anything. I really like the ROM i'm currently using so I havent been to XDA to check out any of the others updated ROMs with gingerbread that I could install.

So if I want the check out gingerbread my best bet is to get it from XDA and not from the OTA, correct?

Even if you're rooted you will still get the notice. The only way to stop that is to change the name of the file that looks for OTA updates...luckily the Stig has us covered. Check this thread...scroll down to post #2 and read the "Tip" highlighted in yellow.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...id-incredible-gingerbread-ota.html#post980655

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

I went to rename the file using astro file manager and I get a messages saying "insufficient permissions". Im rooted and have super user app in my app drawer. Not sure why when I try to rename the file get that message. Im wondering if it has anything to do with the fact im already getting the OTA notice in my notification bar and if that is causing me not to be able to rename the file.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

I went to rename the file using astro file manager and I get a messages saying "insufficient permissions". Im rooted and have super user app in my app drawer. Not sure why when I try to rename the file get that message. Im wondering if it has anything to do with the fact im already getting the OTA notice in my notification bar and if that is causing me not to be able to rename the file.

Could be that Astro Isn't allowed to drill that deep into the file system. When I did it I had the same problem with "File Manager" so I went with "ES File Explorer" and it worked just fine. ES File Explorer is part of the ROM that I had flashed so I'm not sure if its a free app, paid app, or if there is an .apk file you can google and install on your own but it did work and it did change the file name.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting the OTA notification even after I changed the file name. Will I continue to get it since I renamed the file after I received the OTA notice?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting the OTA notification even after I changed the file name. Will I continue to get it since I renamed the file after I received the OTA notice?

I don't know, don't mess with that stuff personally. If I had to guess I would say yes but I really don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781