Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default For those who want the second GB update/patch

    [ method I ] Check for updates

    1. From the Home screen, Press Menu key.
    2. Tap Settings and scroll down the screen
    3. Tap About Phone and tap System software updates
    4. On the System software update screen, tap Check now.
    5. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction.

    [ method II ] Reconnecting to the Google server.

    1. Open up your phone's dialer.
    2. Key in *#*#2432546#*#*
    3. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction

    [ method III ] Force phone to check for update.

    Please manually change the date on your phone to one year from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

    1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
    2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
    3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
    4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts

    Option 3 just worked for me. If they really have stopped pushing the update time may be of the essence before they actually pull the file. Good luck!

    UPDATE: I am now running 4.08.605.2 ... Market says Verizon and screen size is back to 3.7"

    FYI: This list is modified from
    Last edited by VZWRocks; 11-16-2011 at 01:50 AM.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Thanked by 6:
    alp44 and lparsons like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Option 3 works for me but it does not reboot for me, I have to cancel and when I go back to the ota it says I need more space for it to install the update which is not right because I have a sufficient amount of space left on my phone.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman057 View Post
    Option 3 works for me but it does not reboot for me, I have to cancel and when I go back to the ota it says I need more space for it to install the update which is not right because I have a sufficient amount of space left on my phone.
    Wild guess here but: Just because you have enough space for the download file does not mean you have enough for Android to decompress and install the update.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  4. #4  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman057 View Post
    Option 3 works for me but it does not reboot for me, I have to cancel and when I go back to the ota it says I need more space for it to install the update which is not right because I have a sufficient amount of space left on my phone.
    I got this same message (w/out going through any of these options earlier tonight).

    Now none of these options work for me. In fact it won't let me change the date to 1 year from today.

    Oh and I should have enough space. Internal Storage has 5.69 GB available and Phone memory has 405 MB available.


    Tim
    Last edited by timdgibson; 11-16-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Update storage info
  5. #5  
    donut's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timdgibson View Post
    I got this same message (w/out going through any of these options earlier tonight).

    Now none of these options work for me. In fact it won't let me change the date to 1 year from today.

    Oh and I should have enough space. Internal Storage has 5.69 GB available and Phone memory has 405 MB available.


    Tim
    I changed it to a month ahead and it worked. I have similar storage and it says that I don't have enough either.
  6. #6  
    Flur's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    How much space do I need to have? I got that not-enough-space message also and can't seem to get the update back.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by timdgibson View Post
    I got this same message (w/out going through any of these options earlier tonight).

    Now none of these options work for me. In fact it won't let me change the date to 1 year from today.

    Oh and I should have enough space. Internal Storage has 5.69 GB available and Phone memory has 405 MB available.


    Tim
    You have to un-check the option for Automatic at the top of the Date & Time page in settings before you change the date.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  8. #8  
    Flur's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I've got over 500MB memory and over 6gb internal storage and still got the low space error.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    How much space do I need to have? I got that not-enough-space message also and can't seem to get the update back.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    I've got over 500MB memory and over 6gb internal storage and still got the low space error.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Which update are you trying to download the big one of the small one? If the big one you need enough to not only download the file but also about 3x that in order to have the space to decompress the update file. The 500 memory is probably where it wants to install it. Internal storage is media storage if I remember right.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  10. #10  
    engineer2001's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    I have the big update from last night, and the small one just failed. It said it had insufficient space to install. I moved everything that I can afford to lose to SD to free up space and did the checkin... Nothing. Then, I set the date to one month from now and checked in again and got the notification that it was going to install after reboot. It never rebooted. I turned the phone off and back on, and nothing. Now, changing the date and checking in doesn't do anything, and system updates says I am up to date, even though I am still on the older version. Oh well...
  11. #11  
    donut's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engineer2001 View Post
    I have the big update from last night, and the small one just failed. It said it had insufficient space to install. I moved everything that I can afford to lose to SD to free up space and did the checkin... Nothing. Then, I set the date to one month from now and checked in again and got the notification that it was going to install after reboot. It never rebooted. I turned the phone off and back on, and nothing. Now, changing the date and checking in doesn't do anything, and system updates says I am up to date, even though I am still on the older version. Oh well...
    Same thing happened to me!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by engineer2001 View Post
    I have the big update from last night, and the small one just failed. It said it had insufficient space to install. I moved everything that I can afford to lose to SD to free up space and did the checkin... Nothing. Then, I set the date to one month from now and checked in again and got the notification that it was going to install after reboot. It never rebooted. I turned the phone off and back on, and nothing. Now, changing the date and checking in doesn't do anything, and system updates says I am up to date, even though I am still on the older version. Oh well...
    Ditto.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    The instructions (which originated from someone with HTC) said one YEAR not one month that may make a difference.

    Also, you may have messed it up by not waiting as long as it takes for the phone to actually reboot a lot of people get scared of bricking their phones and don't wait long enough for upgrade scripts to work.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  14. #14  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    The instructions (which originated from someone with HTC) said one YEAR not one month that may make a difference.

    Also, you may have messed it up by not waiting as long as it takes for the phone to actually reboot a lot of people get scared of bricking their phones and don't wait long enough for upgrade scripts to work.
    Even with Automatic unchecked - it changes the year back to 2011 within 2 seconds.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by SirenStella View Post
    Even with Automatic unchecked - it changes the year back to 2011 within 2 seconds.
    Hmm sounds like there may be something wrong with your phone Battery pull and try again but this may be one of those times where a root canal of a FDR is needed
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  16. #16  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Hmm sounds like there may be something wrong with your phone Battery pull and try again but this may be one of those times where a root canal of a FDR is needed
    Odd, it let me change the month without reverting back to present date.

    Well, the 8MB update came through again, so I'm just letting it do it's thing... It's said "Rebooting now..." for 11 minutes so far.
  17. #17  
    Flur's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Which update are you trying to download the big one of the small one? If the big one you need enough to not only download the file but also about 3x that in order to have the space to decompress the update file. The 500 memory is probably where it wants to install it. Internal storage is media storage if I remember right.
    The little one, I got the big one last night. I got the little one and got the low space error. I moved a few more apps, as much as I could, but it only gave me another 20mb. Now when I try to force the update it fails to reboot.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  18. #18  
    engineer2001's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Right, the year pops right back to 2011, even with the network time box unchecked.

    I restarted my phone (bottom option in power button menu) and went to the system updates area again and saw the OTA download. It finished downloading and said it would reboot to install. It counted down to zero but never rebooted.

    I waited all this time and finally did another restart. Nothing... And now it says I am up to date again, even though I am still on last night's OTA version. This is lame. I had more than enough space to start with (250+ MB free). No idea why it failed.
  19. #19  
    Flur's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirenStella View Post
    Odd, it let me change the month without reverting back to present date.

    Well, the 8MB update came through again, so I'm just letting it do it's thing... It's said "Rebooting now..." for 11 minutes so far.
    Mine just goes back to telling me my system is up to date, but it's clear nothing has installed.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    I wish I knew what to tell you guys but it should not revert back to 2011 until you recheck the Automatic box.... for me it didn't even do it automatically for me when I checked the box. I had to set it back manually.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  21. #21  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Method 3 worked for me. The date kept changing back but I just went through the process pretty quick and had no issues.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    As other people have said, when I tried changing the year (after unchecking auto), it went back to the current date.

    I was able to change the month, checkin, and get the update notification. But it will not restart. I waited 20 minutes, restarted it myself, and nothing. I then changed the date back to today, went through that whole process, and nothing. Back to a month from now, whole process again, and nothing.

    This is ridiculous. Now we need an update to the update to the update to the update. No wonder the iPhone is the #1 smartphone.


    Tim
  23. #23  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    This is stupid,I can't wait for my IPhone
  24. #24  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by timdgibson View Post
    As other people have said, when I tried changing the year (after unchecking auto), it went back to the current date.

    I was able to change the month, checkin, and get the update notification. But it will not restart. I waited 20 minutes, restarted it myself, and nothing. I then changed the date back to today, went through that whole process, and nothing. Back to a month from now, whole process again, and nothing.

    This is ridiculous. Now we need an update to the update to the update to the update. No wonder the iPhone is the #1 smartphone.


    Tim
    Funny how many things Apple won't let you have control of but they will let you download and Install an update.

    Anyway after using the month trick my wife's keeps getting stuck on.

    System Update
    OK
    cancel cancel
    OK







    Rebooting now...
    Cancel Install

    or on the regular system update page
    Last edited by 1776-1865_RIP; 11-16-2011 at 07:21 AM.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: For those who want the second GB update/patch

    Quote Originally Posted by 1776-1865_RIP View Post
    Anyway after using the month trick my wife's keeps getting stuck on.

    System Update
    OK
    cancel cancel
    OK







    Rebooting now...
    Cancel Install



    First time I gave it about 15min this time I'm past 25...
    I have tried everything and my phone says it wants to reboot and just sits there too. I can seem to get the update, had the not enough space to download, then changed date ect ect ect...nothing. I guess I will just have to wait to see if they push again
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B