Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED!

mrbalky

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but when I press and hold the power button I don't even have a restart option. I have power off, silent mode, vibration mode, airplane mode and mobile network that's it.

I have an HTC incredible still running 2.2 not rooted

Thx

I was in the same spot. If you just power off your phone and then power it back on with volume down and power buttons you get into HBOOT and can start from step 2 in the original instructions. It did work for me (took a couple tries; had to free up memory as other posters have noted...).

Thanks giskard for the OP!

g00dhum0r

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Finally got the update. I made a lot of room by deleting some applications. I also cleared the data on a lot of apps and uninstalled updates until I was around 180mb used space. (deleted my contacts as well to make room and I thought I would be able to restore them after the update through backup assistant. When I logged onto backup assistant it showed nothing there. Luckily VZW technical support was able to restore my contacts..that was scary). After making room, I cleared the cache as described by OP...when the phone restarted it asked to update and the update went smoothly. Thank you.

faye314

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I still need help! OK, so I've done all of the steps listed above. The software update downloads (4.08.605.2 87.7MB) but when I press the button to reboot and install. The countdown starts as if it's about to reboot but it just sits there and doesn't reboot. Any suggestions? FYI - my phone isn't rooted.

Last edited:

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I got a notification for one big update to 4.08.605.2 (never got a 4.06 update) that was around 87 MB this morning. After removing a few apps, clearing the cache as instructed above, and changing the date to get the notification again, it finally installed and rebooted.

I'm sure I'll start noticing the little issues that others have posted about, but in the meantime my phone is noticeably faster. Thanks everyone for the help.

Amazing. I went through this whole process to get the 4.08 update on my DInc, took several attempts and a fair bit of frustration. After finally getting it to install properly as I described above, I figured I was ready to run the update on my wife's DInc as well.

I pick up her phone last night, check the "About Phone" -- "Software" page...and it says 2.3.4. I ask my wife, "Did your phone download a big update?" She says, "Yeah, something like that...I dunno, it prompted me and I just clicked the "OK" button and it rebooted. Why?"

*sigh*

Take heart, folks, apparently there are hassle-free updates happening.

Reactions: PeninaD

sheepy1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Like a couple people on here, I am running 2.2 still. My phone is rooted with Unrevoked. My phone informed me of the update a couple times, but would hang on the "Rebooting..." screen and do nothing more. I tried the method explained in this thread, and it immediately caused the update to download (didn't even have to change the date/time setting). However, I still get the "Rebooting..." hang-up and the update doesn't install. Does anyone have any ideas?

mtnthc

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Like a couple people on here, I am running 2.2 still. My phone is rooted with Unrevoked. My phone informed me of the update a couple times, but would hang on the "Rebooting..." screen and do nothing more. I tried the method explained in this thread, and it immediately caused the update to download (didn't even have to change the date/time setting). However, I still get the "Rebooting..." hang-up and the update doesn't install. Does anyone have any ideas?

No solution, but same exact problem.

Bivka

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hud3500 - Thank you, thank you, thank you. I joined yet another Android forum just so I could cheer at you. The date kept changing back to the current date on me, and you saved me from hundreds of failed tries. Cheers!

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I recieved the update and everything went great! Knock wood, i have had no issues, and my phone runs freaking fantastic, much snappier interface, much better battery life, i think my screen resolution looks better too.

My question is that if i am having no issues would it benefit my phone to go through the steps and clear that cache partition?

Thanks

lphelan

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks to you giskard, as well as to others who provided tips. My Incredible has been screwed up in a major way since OTA update to 2.3.4. For the past 10 days, I have had low storage space error message, unable to receive texts, unable to receive Gmail alerts, and my battery life went from 20-30hr to 6-8hr with no phone calls made. I have been searching without success for a solution until finding yours.
Like others here, the v.4.08.605.2 update would hang on reboot and not install, but checking for updates would indicate the latest version was installed. I had to go through a few iterations of your solution, during which I manually advanced the date to have the phone look for the update a couple times, then had to remove all non-essential apps to increase phone memory from ca. 300MB to >500MB, then wiped the cache partition via your method again. That finally did it, and 4.08.605.2 was successfullly installed. The low space error was gone, and old text messages and Gmail alerts immediately started flooding in. Time will tell on the battery issue, but early indications are that it is also back to normal.

Again I am very grateful to the user community; it is hard to understand why this solution is not available from Verizon or HTC. At least I was not able to find it after searching multiple times this past week.

kane2103

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the great tips on here. I had to get my phone to 584mb free space before it would let my phone reboot and install the new update. 580 didnt work 583 didnt work but once i got that last megabyte free it rebooted like a champ.

blahblah3

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm having more memory issues--I have only used up 164 MB data and it still says I don't have enough memory to install the update. I've deleted and moved apps, cleared messages...why does it keep doing this? I see messages from people who use up twice as much as I do and theirs works
**165 used, 583MB free**

aarondoo

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Can't say this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to ?RECOVERY.?
  3. Press the Power button to select ?RECOVERY.?
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to ?Wipe cache partition? and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"

You can now wait for the update to show up again, or try one of the methods in the post: to get the update again. It should reboot this time. Beware, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed. Be sure to make a lot of space for it though... ;)

This whole process works for me on my HTC Incredible but the way I get to the Wipe Cache menu is a bit different but it says it wipes it. I reload and it does come back up and I change the date and it again grabs to 80+ MB download for Gingerbread but still (after 5 tries) will not reboot.

Is it possible being rooted is affecting something?

Dooley

rie-chan

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Just thought i'd add a few more notes from my experience in addition to Giskard's wonderful instructions - I was updating directly from Froyo, unrooted.

- at the screen with the red triangle and exclamation mark, if nothing happens after you first hit and hold the power button + vol up button, don't panic. Keep trying. Mine originally seemed to hang and not do anything (which scared me half to death). Some people have mentioned either pressing both buttons exactly in sync or hitting the volume button first before the power button and holding both down. The second one seemed to work for me, and the menu showed up pretty quickly after that.

- if you see a yellow error message below regarding not being able to access the 'Recovery' folder in E:, ignore it. If you press the buttons and follow the procedure eventually the menu will appear.

hope that helps. :)

MisterBibs

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I registered to ask this: I have an HTC Droid Incredible, and I don't have a 'Choose "Restart" option'. I only have a Power Down mode. Doing the rest of the steps has not succeeded.

Any help?

100yellow

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Giskard, I cannot thank you enough. After being stuck on 4.06 for about two weeks and suffering from a relentless "low on space" notification, missing apps on my SD card (unmount/mount trick didn't work), and my phone refusing to install or reboot after claiming to find the 4.08 update, I was finally able to get it to install. My dinc is noticeably snappier and no low memory notifications to be seen. Also, my phone now recognizes all my apps on my SD card. Can't tell you how many dead ends I ran into when trying to track down a solution to this mess. As someone else has said, I joined this forum just to express my appreciation. Thank you!

A few notes from my experience:

- In order to get my phone to accept the update, I had to free up 500mb of internal space to be able to download the update. I see that others were able to download it with less space free; not sure why I couldn't. Others may have to do the same... don't give up, and keep moving apps to your card or delete and download again later... you'll eventually get this to work!

- When dialing the "checkin" number to force a search for an update, I would only get the "check in successful" notice... as others have said, I had to manually change the date on my phone to finally have success in "finding" the 4.08 update. Some have been able to change the year from 2011 to 2012... when I did this, my phone would switch it back to 2011 within a few seconds, even with automatic date updating unchecked. I was able to find someone that had success by just changing the day of the month... I changed the date to 12/30/2011, and my phone finally left it unchanged. I dialed the "checkin" number, and was able to successfully download the update on my first attempt.

Hope my notes can help someone out. Giskard, again, thank you for providing the information that seems to elude HTC and Verizon still...

tezroe

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
So my HTC Incredible had both the nagging low space/ memory indicator and the stalling reboot.

After countless time with Verizon tech support (all nice) who wanted to just factory reset my phone:mad:.. I did my own research and did the following:

1. Un-sync my Google Contacts (in preparation for the next step) and backed up my SMS Data and App Data.
2. Delete the data in my contact storage (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Contact Storage>Clear Data) This cleared an extremely large amount of both SMS and contact data and immediately solved the space/memory issue.
3. Restarted the phone in Recovery Mode and cleared my Cache Partition only. (This cache was preventing the phone from rebooting for install).
4. Rebooted
5. Forced a software update push by turning off my Automatic Date/Time syncing and manually changed the year back one (to 2010). This forces my phone to talk to the Network for about 3-5 minutes. After that it resets my date to the correct system time and pushes an update.
6. Selected to update to 4.08.
7. Re-sync my Google Contacts and Automatic Date/Time.
8. Restored any missing SMS/App Data.

My phone has been working perfectly ever since.

Cheers :D

kplu191

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Only my 4th post, BUT Just a SINCERE Thank you to Giskard, as well as all who make this website Awesome, esp for us technically challenged! I can build a power house, but these "smart phones" keep me scratching my head! Update worked! Tx!!!!:)

anon26174

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Another thank you to Giskard (hope you're not getting tired of these thank you posts).

I followed the suggestions here but it took a couple of days before I finally got the update pushed to my phone. Last night the Incredible finally rebooted properly when it said it would and the update was applied.

My suggestion to anyone who thinks this doesn't work (even after changing their clock forward etc.) is to just give it a few days perhaps?

I actually write about smartphone stuff for a living, and not a single "professional" I've come across knew about this fix even if they claim to be an expert. Big props to Giskard for explaining everything clearly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech