Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED!

lparsons

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't say this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to ?RECOVERY.?
  3. Press the Power button to select ?RECOVERY.?
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to ?Wipe cache partition? and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"

You can now wait for the update to show up again, or try one of the methods in the post: For those who want the second GB update/patch to get the update again. It should reboot this time. Beware, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed. Be sure to make a lot of space for it though... ;)

dabaum

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I followed your instructions step by step and was so happy to see my phone actually reboot when it was supposed to, however, I got the same message after reboot that says I don't have enough memory. Ahhhhhh!!! What now? Thanks for the work on figuring out the reboot issue.

lparsons

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I ran into the same issue and I had to uninstall a few more apps. I chose apps that were big but that I didn't lose too much data with (for me NFL Mobile and Google Reader). Both were able to be reinstalled after I went through the process again (and the update finally installed). Good luck!

Reactions: alp44

dmzeidler

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
You are wonderful Giskard! I rebooted, had the green circle/down arrow icon, phone rebooted, hung at the eye for quiet a while, rebooted and congratulated me. But the thanks goes to you. And I learned a few things, too! :'( Those are tears of joy.

dabaum

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Tried again and it worked. Now to reinstall my apps I deleted and then do the same to my wife's phone. Thank You for the tips.

joemg

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thank You!
After spending the afternoon playing with the date change option this worked perfectly after I eliminated a few more apps.

kaptainkr

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Worked for me. My phone did cycle a few times after the update was downloaded. I created an account just to say "Thanks". This has been driving me crazy all day.

Adam Kornegay

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
A couple of notes based on my experience:

- When the instructions say "press and hold," that means press and hold until the next screen comes up
- It takes a few seconds before the volume rockers will let you move the cursor to recovery. Some lines of stuff will display. Don't freak out.
- My DROID eye after rebooting after wiping the cache was only up for about a minute - your experience may vary.
- I found that the best way to get the update to start was to manually change the date by rolling back to 2010, and then checking for updates. It'll say that your system is up to date but if you try it again it'll be downloading.
- This morning my free phone memory space was less than 300mb and it failed. Tonight I deleted some stuff and got to 332mb. Did the wipe cache and tried again. Failed again. Deleted even more stuff and got to 372mb. This time it worked. So it seems like the magic number is between 332 and 372. Ridiculous but whatever.

Don't know why it was so important for me to get this update but it sure was bothering me all day.

Reactions: kareden

Bigredcm0

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Giskard,

Just joined this forum after reading your post about getting past the Gingerbread low memory issue and forcing the phone into the new build update. I've tried your method twice and can't really think of any other apps to uninstall that I haven't already moved to my SD card. I have no texts in my messages and I've deleted my MS Exchange account. My current internal storage use is down to about 155MB. Any suggestions on things I could clear out? Or methods for making this work?

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Giskard,

Just joined this forum after reading your post about getting past the Gingerbread low memory issue and forcing the phone into the new build update. I've tried your method twice and can't really think of any other apps to uninstall that I haven't already moved to my SD card. I have no texts in my messages and I've deleted my MS Exchange account. My current internal storage use is down to about 155MB. Any suggestions on things I could clear out? Or methods for making this work?

I only got mine down to 243MB and it worked fine.