How do I get my Phone Contacts to Gmail?

paul386

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I added a contact to my phone today and I am disappointed that it did not show up on Gmail. I thought that my phone contacts and Gmail were the same... How do I fix this?

mattwill

May 6, 2010
Visit site
You also need to make sure its entered as a gmail contact and not a phone contact.

What he said. i had the same problem. And i already know your next question...."ok, now that you have them as phone contacts, how do you change them to gmail contacts?" The answer is you CANT. Thats at least what i learned in these forums.

So i literally had to reenter my contacts as gmail contacts and delete the "phone contacts." Thanks god i only had 7 of them, but I felt this was simply ridiculous.

I bet this question will come up over and over because its just not obvious.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It would seem to important to sync your gmail contacts before you start using the Inc. This way you do not get stuck with the non-syncing phone contacts.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
OK so I'm making sure I have this right as I'm new to android (I'm coming from a windows mobile phone). I currently don't have my Inc yet as I'm still waiting on delivery but in the mean time I have been reading this forum to get familar with the phone. I have all my contacts in my phone and it syncs to my outlook email account whenever I connect my phone (HTC Touch Pro) to my computer. I have since realized that I will need to have a gmail account if i want to get apps from the marketplace so I created a gmail account a few days ago then I decided to import all my contacts from my existing Yahoo account (which is what I use primarily as well as my main email address). Previously I imported my outlook contacts via .csv to my yahoo account to keep it updated with my phone. So since I gmail gave me an option to transfer all my contacts from my yahoo account at when I opened a gmail account my contacts are there and are the exact contacts I have currently in my HTC Touch Pro. I have also forwarded my yahoo mail to my gmail account so i only have to check one email account and because I think the Inc works better with gmail then yahoo or atleast that is what I gather from what i have read so far.

So with all that being said, when I get my Inc do I just sync with my newly created gmail account to get all my contacts in my phone and then do a back up to verizon (I don't have a back up now on Verison as I'm just now going from Alltel to Verizon)? And since I have all my contacts in gmail, phone only as well as those with email and phone numbers it will bring them all to my Inc and I will not have to do anything else to get my contacts, correct? I wasn't sure if I needed to import them via .csv or what the best way would be.

Thanks, I know that was long but I just wanted to lay the foundation of what I have done so far and I'd like to get my Inc set up right the first time when I get it. :)

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Once you set up your gMail account on the Inc it will sync the contacts from your PC gMail accounts automatically as long as you have the sync permissions turned on. It will continue to sync automatically as long as you add new contacts on the INC (set as Google Contacts) or in your PC gMail. gMail on your PC will sync contacts from almost any email client including Outlook. The same basic concept works with the HTC calendar in the Inc and on the PC. Jorte, available in the market place is a bit more robust calendar app that also sync automatically with the device calendar.

david_r

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just exported my contacts on my Droid Bionic, then copied the file to my pc and imported into gmail. TADA Only problem you will end up with double contacts on the phone. Might be a way to delete the phone account??

Janda45

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Once you set up your gMail account on the Inc it will sync the contacts from your PC gMail accounts automatically as long as you have the sync permissions turned on. It will continue to sync automatically as long as you add new contacts on the INC (set as Google Contacts) or in your PC gMail. gMail on your PC will sync contacts from almost any email client including Outlook. The same basic concept works with the HTC calendar in the Inc and on the PC. Jorte, available in the market place is a bit more robust calendar app that also sync automatically with the device calendar.
Jorte? Never heard of it. I didn't want my info out in the clouds so I only created my Gmail account to be able to download and purchase needed applications. I turned off gmail sync for contacts and calendars so I presume my info is NOT making it's way out into the web. I use my PC for my office work and simply want that information transferred to my Android phone. I set up HTC Sync and it works fine. I tried Deja Office to link to Companionlink with my database but that's a whole other can of tricks I'm not going to play with now. Nothing's easy - that's for sure.

Johntobia

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You can get contacts from your phone into gmail. What I did was copied my phone contacts onto my SD card. Then, I went to my desktop and logged into my gmail account. Go to contacts, and go to import files. Connect your phone to your computer. Select the file from your phone, that you created earlier, and import it into your contact list in your gmail account. As long as your gmail account is set to sync automatically you will be good to go within minutes.